Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TigerLilly

Rode the new horse today

11 posts in this topic

I decided to take it slow since he has had a few days off, he is in a new place and lots of changes for him recently. He has only had 30 Days so far and I would say he is still green. And he showed that when I Unhooked the gate while still on him and he and got wiggly under the saddle. But nothing major happened because he is soft and I can get him flexed to one side quickly. We did not do any cantering. I took him on a small trail around the hay field. He did not shy from anything and went through some water. 

Once we got to the large arena we worked mainly on stopping without feeling the need to back up. Getting used to the new, heavier snaffle, his old one was lighter and thinner. Some leg yielding and staying between the bridle. A friend riding with us was doing circles around us working on keeping her horse getting to buddy sour. So that was a good mental exercise for him to keep his composure while another horse was misbehaving.  

By the end of the session he was very relaxed and not anticipating and doing things like backing up and pivoting when I did not ask. 

If you seen the video of him being ridden by his seller you would know why I am taking things down a notch. 

I bought a black roan gelding. I have not got photos yet, I will get some in the next couple of days. 

Yes. I had to get three vets opinions on them. They all pretty much said the same thing. It's not a major issue for what I am doing,  just keep them in mind as he ages. The vet who examined him seen no issues with his gait, his legs flex normally. The MSU vet said this is not all that unusual and may never be an issue. My vet said that he has seen it in lots of horses and once you start xraying and digging into a horse, it's rare to not find something. This is minor. 

TL,   I'm slow to notice things, so Congratulations on new horse, black roan should be a color that stands out.  Especially if you plan to show him or compete on him. I'll be looking forward to pictures,. Take Care, Happy Trails & Best Wishes to you. PD

Thanks, I will try to get photos soon. I have been so busy with riding, vet, farrier, garden and the kids I have hardly had any free time. 

3 hours ago, TigerLilly said:

Thanks, I will try to get photos soon. I have been so busy with riding, vet, farrier, garden and the kids I have hardly had any free time. 

TL,    That is okay, family should come first, but glad you have got in a few rides on that new horse, But we can wait for pictures, that way we have something to look forward to. Happy Moms Day to you. PD

Congrats on the new horse and a good ride. Looking forward to photos!

On 5/15/2017 at 0:04 PM, Magic26 said:

Congrats on the new horse and a good ride. Looking forward to photos!

^^^^ ditto.