Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PinkTractor

Not again...

44 posts in this topic

I'm not sure how many of you remember the leg injury I went through treating my mare last summer. It was an awful experience and I almost lost her - but thanks to a great vet and me being 110% committed she is still around.

But, I woke up this morning - to the same thing. However, not as enlarged (and I cannot find any puncture wounds). Yet, not bearing weight with heat in the top portion of leg. Gave her a dose of bute - have two phone calls into the vet (630 and 9) - waiting now.

If y'all could spare some good jingles that this isn't another case of last year and may just be from the heat - I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Pink,:huggy:    Sending good thoughts for your mare,  It is the pitts any time we find a horse injured.  So I wish you well:angel3:  Best Wishes.  PD

No black widows here...at least none that have been reported for our area. I've never seen any. Last year it was a puncture wound from what we believe was a pellet/BB (but nothing to prove it...)

Thank you everyone. Nervous for what the vet has to say. I did come to work for a bit, nothing I could do waiting. I am leaving in about ten minutes. He'll be out between 12:30 and 1.

Thank you.

Getting frustrated, still no vet. Understand they're busy people, but she is getting more swollen. I just iced her little bit ago. Only 45 minutes late though....breatheeee.

Ugh I feel your pain!  Here's hoping there's an abscess somewhere (abscesses are my go-to hope when I have a lame horse, as they're generally easy to care for) and that the vet shows up soon!

Vet just left. Stall rest and hand walking until Monday. Recheck on Monday. He is quite baffled. No temperature. Exactly 100.5 Making him believe no infection. Only heat is in her joint and main swelling is above and into her udder. But the pain is in her groin area (like she lifted her leg up and out and pinned her ears flat back). He believes she has an injured groin...like a sprain. However, he treated her with an IV antibiotic, Bute and sav. She's now on oral antibiotic for a week (precautionary) and bute every other day to keep comfortable. Along with cold water hosing/icing.

Nothing is ever simple around here. 

Thanks for healing vibes.

2 minutes ago, noponies said:

Is it the same leg as the last one you mentioned?

Yep, sadly.

Cast was also brought up, but her stall is big enough that it shouldn't happen (never has in 8 years of ownership) and she was still clean this am that I didn't even think she laid down. Vet didn't believe it was the case, either, but that was another tossed up idea.

Edited by PinkTractor

Higher than the stifle? Just poking it around to see if any ideas float up.

Edited by noponies

When she flinched in pain it was higher then stifle area, however, a lot of swelling in that area...

Poor girl, I'm so sorry, hoping it clears up soon. 

My daughter's old guy has done the same thing twice. He was a roping horse in his previous life so there's no telling what injuries he might have had. Vet puts him on stall rest, antibiotics and anti inflammatories. He's always better within a week.

Ooooh, those legs look so uncomfortable.  (((hugs for you both)))

Actually, she's not. Vet just left. She is still extremely swollen. She got another round of IV antibiotics and upped her Bute dosage. He feels that this is part from last year, as in she became more active and with how bad it was last year, it rebuilt and came out (I don't know if that makes sense to you all). Though, he is still not thinking initially an infection. He is still saying joint/tendon problem. He is thinking she stepped in a hole or caught up in something. (I haven't figured out what it could be) Stall rest for another week and icing/cold water every couple hours.

She's in a lot of pain. She is down right nasty. Can hardly catch her in the stall even with a bummed leg. She pinned me against the wall last night. Total out of the norm for her.

On to sleepless nights and 110%  commitment - she needs to get better.

An older, out of condition horse can spring a joint or pull a muscle just getting up. And yeah, I'm kinda nasty too when I hurt and people keep poking at me.

The vets wife was quite taken by surprise when I said she was 19. She does not look like she is that old. Heck, she looks better then my show horse on most days.

Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers - hoping to get her on the mend soon.

^^^ I agree.  I feel 14-22 is prime age for horses.  My grade Appy gelding didn't start to show his age (lighter topline, bonier shoulders/hips and slight loss of muscle tone) until he was 26.

Here is a comparison today vs Friday. She has black salve on it and was just cold hosed prior to picture. Let her out to graze for a couple minutes.

2j1vde0.jpg

...and this is how it looked last year when I went through it...

2qc33eq.jpg

Looks like the swelling had gone down.  Is she more comfortable?

NP - I wasn't sure what that was and did a quick google search. That doesn't seem like what this is. This seems like a different ball field I'm playing in.

Heidi - the swelling has gone down some - she is more comfortable and is bearing about 80% weight on that leg.