Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RailroadWoman

New Weekend Start

27 posts in this topic

We are starting our weekend by going to Queen concert.  Shortman & I have been so excited to see this show.!!!!!!

Tomorrow morning will start the day by going to a breakfast event called Cakes at the Lake.

I'm going to the Bristol Renaissance Faire tomorrow in Wisconsin. Then Sunday my Husband leaves for his new job in Indiana where we will join him in mid august when we close on our new house. 

I'm going to sit here and read about all the fun the rest of you are having.......

I can't imagine Queen without Freddie Mercury.  He was the sound that made Queen what it was.

I'm sure you'll have fun, all the same!

Equi you are correct.  But Adam Lambert did a fenominal job.  The entire band was great.

NoPonies sorry forgot the phone.  It was a really cool concert.  My one ear hasn't hurt this bad at a concert since the Boss.

I think I'll spend my weekend catching on many things around home, might even get on one of my geldings, for a while. Been spending to much time keeping them in hay or keeping their pastures mowed, must be time to collect on my labor.   PD

You go ride PD. You deserve it.

I'm waiting for the rest of my hay to arrive. Ninety-five more bales. I feel so much better after I have my year's supply in the barn!

I'm on the search for hay.  Called a local guy & first thing out of his mouth was "how much are you willing to pay?". Really??????  Doesn't say much about you ability to make a business of acquiring clients if you done know the cost of your own product.  I have paid between $15 & $30 for 4x4 rounds that were good grass only.  Gads I hate the hay people in our area.

PD go for a ride.  The yard will be there tomorrow.

28 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

I'm on the search for hay.  Called a local guy & first thing out of his mouth was "how much are you willing to pay?". Really??????  Doesn't say much about you ability to make a business of acquiring clients if you done know the cost of your own product.  I have paid between $15 & $30 for 4x4 rounds that were good grass only.  Gads I hate the hay people in our area.

PD go for a ride.  The yard will be there tomorrow.

RRW,   I bought some small squares this spring for less than $2.00 a bale, & can find some big squares for $25.00 for last years hay & $50.00 for this years hay,  & neighbor might have 4x5 rounds, later that I can go get as I want them. Right now pasture is good & they don't want much hay.  Later. PD

Its been so unbearably hot here lately that we havent done much with the horses. Today isnt too bad so Ill go out later. Might do some fishing today too.

Late last yr bought small square 2015 cut $1 per.  Didn't have touch waste on those.  We are going to see if our previous supplier will have some.  Last year was the first in 5yrs we didn't get from him.  Figure 20 rounds should get us through the winter.  

Wow, you all are lucky! I paid $6 for small squares, put in my barn. They weigh 60 to 70 pounds but are just grass, mostly Orchard grass, with a little alfalfa stem. This is a new guy I found by calling Southern States. And he has a porch car!

Good morning! I am spending my day working at the hospital proctoring coding exams to be a certified coder. I have 25 examines today. Gonna be a long day. No time to ride this morning but hopefully I can this evening. Need to finish weeding the garden too as well as get my clothesline put up. Hope everyone has a great day!

Jubal squares around here vary.  The price will be high because it has been wet.  They could have gotten a first cut back in June.  Also no one in the area does 2 or 3 cuts.  Fertilizing is out of the question.

Pulled the ponies for a brushing & bug spray.  Then into the round pen for grass.  Now working on mowing with the push mower because the rider has yet to be fixed.  If we lived in town wouldn't be so bad.  However it is never ending yard at the farm.

jubal;, Most of the small squares we get around here are 35-40lbs, that's a average, most of them sell from $2-3.00 a bale, for a mixed grass hay, with a bit of alfalfa or red clover mixed in, my horses  prefer to get second cutting.  Got most of my one pasture mowed, there was a variety weeds in it, & now it looks a bit neater. Now the boss has other things for me to do.  Later. PD

Same here with the weight but price is 2-$4 depending on the year.  

Just gave up on the mowing.  Should keep going but had enough. Always tomorrow night

I've been getting about 40-45 pound bales but these are a lot bigger and heavier. I couldn't lift them. I had to drag them. I probably got too many, but better safe than sorry. And Jubal doesn't stop eating until it's gone. 

Edited by jubal

Sure hope you all have a good Sunday.  I'm going to meet up with a friend who haven't seen in years for lunch.  Love Hubby & Shortman to death but it is nice to have a non family member visit.  Doesn't happen often.

No sure what my boys will be doing today

RRW, Have a good visit with your old friend.  

jubal, I can believe that 60lb bales may be a pain, to let alone be hard on the back. But I'm glad that Jubal likes the hay, I've got to work at getting more hay, but I like the big squares & big rounds better, as I can move those with tractor, & small squares have to be moved by hand.   Have a good day. PD

Oh I love the big squares.  They stack & tarp easy.  Plus it is easy to just pull off the flakes.  It is hard to find them up here then there is the price.

Back when I was still baling hay, we used to call those 40 pounders lady bales, because they were easier for the ladies to handle. The rest of the alfalfa was 60-80 pound bales. We had some timothy, but not a lot.

Small squares, rounds, big squares it is all a pain in the rump to put in the barn.

On 7/14/2017 at 4:18 PM, horsecrazybvh said:

I'm going to the Bristol Renaissance Faire tomorrow in Wisconsin. Then Sunday my Husband leaves for his new job in Indiana where we will join him in mid august when we close on our new house. 

That sounds so exciting! Best of luck with the move.

23 hours ago, jubal said:

Wow, you all are lucky! I paid $6 for small squares, put in my barn. They weigh 60 to 70 pounds but are just grass, mostly Orchard grass, with a little alfalfa stem. This is a new guy I found by calling Southern States. And he has a porch car!

Bahaha thanks, I finally saw the Bronco, loved it! 

As far as hay...hubby gets on the tractor, drives across the road and brings home high quality barn kept round bales from our neighbor who always discounts them for us.

We got 2/3 of my sewing room painted yesterday. Repairing a sheet rock crack over the door slowed me down so Paul picked up a roller when he got back from the gym. Grateful for his help. Now I'm sweating the paint running out before we finish, I do not want to run back into town for paint. Need to get off my Duff and get back to it.

3 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

Small squares, rounds, big squares it is all a pain in the rump to put in the barn.

Not if somebody else does it! I just got the second load today. He brought his wife to help and she was lifting those heavy bales. I'm not sure I could have lifted them before I got old. They're headed to FL this week with a load of hay. They get $14 for grass hay there. 

QH, you win the easy hay access prize. 

Jubal, I know and I am so grateful, we're too old for hay hauling. Neighbor has square bales but we don't have anywhere to store them, lost half the roof to our hay barn back in hurricane Ike. Paul was so sick, we never replaced it. Now it's where I put my round bales to keep them out of the weather.

Our son has a 10 ac. hay field about an hour and half north of us. But his company sent him to west Texas to work so no $25 hay this year.