Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R. T.

Can feeding carrot tops cause colic?

20 posts in this topic

Like really bad colic, serious enough to kill a horse? My dad's boss just had to put down one of his horses (who was over 30 years old) when he colicked today. The horse had been fed carrot greens, which is what his boss thinks made him colic. I'm not sure how many the horse was given, but we've always fed them to our horses, in moderate amounts, as a treat. Does this seem like a likely "cause of death" and are they dangerous to feed? I just wanted to clear things up for my own understanding and for this guy who feels he's to blame for his horse's death [Frown] .

Like really bad colic, serious enough to kill a horse? My dad's boss just had to put down one of his horses (who was over 30 years old) when he colicked today. The horse had been fed carrot greens, which is what his boss thinks made him colic. I'm not sure how many the horse was given, but we've always fed them to our horses, in moderate amounts, as a treat. Does this seem like a likely "cause of death" and are they dangerous to feed? I just wanted to clear things up for my own understanding and for this guy who feels he's to blame for his horse's death [Frown] .

Not that I have ever heard of, when they would do the farmers market at the fairgrounds, I would get a couple paperbags full of them and feed the whole bag to one horse. I never had a problem. How many did he feed the horses?

Not that I have ever heard of, when they would do the farmers market at the fairgrounds, I would get a couple paperbags full of them and feed the whole bag to one horse. I never had a problem. How many did he feed the horses?

Anything new to a horses diet can cause colic, especially if it was a huge amount. New feed stuff can upset the microflora in the gut and this causes colic, founder, diarrhea, ect....

Anything new to a horses diet can cause colic, especially if it was a huge amount. New feed stuff can upset the microflora in the gut and this causes colic, founder, diarrhea, ect....

this horse was over 30.... I bet it could have been anything.. at that age, things shut down...

Your dad's boss should be congratulated on having that horse healthy for that long of a life, not feel bad for the horse finally passing...

doubt it was the carrot tops.....

this horse was over 30.... I bet it could have been anything.. at that age, things shut down...

Your dad's boss should be congratulated on having that horse healthy for that long of a life, not feel bad for the horse finally passing...

doubt it was the carrot tops.....

Thats what I was kind of thinking... I don't know how many carrot tops this horse was fed, but I guess it was the only strange thing that had happened, and my dad said the horse had colicked, but it could've been something else.

Thats what I was kind of thinking... I don't know how many carrot tops this horse was fed, but I guess it was the only strange thing that had happened, and my dad said the horse had colicked, but it could've been something else.

Whenever something like this happens, we always want to know "why" it happens. The carrots probably had nothing to do with it, more likely not drinking enough water, most like old age related.

My condolences to the horse's family.

Dori

Pasco, WA

Whenever something like this happens, we always want to know "why" it happens. The carrots probably had nothing to do with it, more likely not drinking enough water, most like old age related.

My condolences to the horse's family.

Dori

Pasco, WA

I know consuming an excess of apples can cause colic, but I've never heard of carrots or carrot tops doing it....

[ 11-01-2005, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Merlin's Mom ]

I know consuming an excess of apples can cause colic, but I've never heard of carrots or carrot tops doing it....

[ 11-01-2005, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Merlin's Mom ]

I hope not...i feed my horse the tops every so often...Anyway it would ahve to be like many many tops everyday, same with apples to have that impact....

I hope not...i feed my horse the tops every so often...Anyway it would ahve to be like many many tops everyday, same with apples to have that impact....