Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
midway_1329

water coming out of nose?

24 posts in this topic

When my horse takes his first drink water comes out of his nose. usuly only the first drink and after that it doesnt happen. Its both sides. Could it be because he takes a drink then flings his head up? What could be the problem.

When my horse takes his first drink water comes out of his nose. usuly only the first drink and after that it doesnt happen. Its both sides. Could it be because he takes a drink then flings his head up? What could be the problem.

How old is he? Has he done this before or is this a recent thing?

We had a filly born 2 years ago that when she nursed it came out her nose. It was something like a cleff palate but I can't remember what it was called.

How old is he? Has he done this before or is this a recent thing?

We had a filly born 2 years ago that when she nursed it came out her nose. It was something like a cleff palate but I can't remember what it was called.

I have just noticed it in this last month. It does not matter if it is before or after excerise or anything but usualy the first drink he takes water comes out his nose. Could it be becasue he throws his head up after the first drink. Also what did you do with your foal that had a proble like this?

I have just noticed it in this last month. It does not matter if it is before or after excerise or anything but usualy the first drink he takes water comes out his nose. Could it be becasue he throws his head up after the first drink. Also what did you do with your foal that had a proble like this?

We have a yearling gelding who has had this problem since 4 months old. It can be a cleft palate although his is intermittent dorsal displacement of the soft palate caused by a floppy epiglottis due to swelling from gutteral pouch infections. He has food and hay sometimes come out of his nose too. It's often seen in foals and can be easy to fix or very difficult. It's certainly something to check out with your vet especially if you haven't seen this in your horse before. It could indicate an infection or if it is congenital it could cause an infection or even choke.

We have a yearling gelding who has had this problem since 4 months old. It can be a cleft palate although his is intermittent dorsal displacement of the soft palate caused by a floppy epiglottis due to swelling from gutteral pouch infections. He has food and hay sometimes come out of his nose too. It's often seen in foals and can be easy to fix or very difficult. It's certainly something to check out with your vet especially if you haven't seen this in your horse before. It could indicate an infection or if it is congenital it could cause an infection or even choke.

If he flings water into his nose, its probbably just draining back out.

WHY he started flinging his head is the real problem. Since the water is cold, the head flinging could be an "ouch!" response, suggesting something like a sore tooth.

If he flings water into his nose, its probbably just draining back out.

WHY he started flinging his head is the real problem. Since the water is cold, the head flinging could be an "ouch!" response, suggesting something like a sore tooth.

quote:

It can be a cleft palate although his is intermittent dorsal displacement of the soft palate caused by a floppy epiglottis due to swelling from gutteral pouch infections.

I'm sorry, i just had to point out how impressive that sentence is! haha [big Grin]

quote:

It can be a cleft palate although his is intermittent dorsal displacement of the soft palate caused by a floppy epiglottis due to swelling from gutteral pouch infections.

I'm sorry, i just had to point out how impressive that sentence is! haha [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by Jayme:

quote:

I'm sorry, i just had to point out how impressive that sentence is! haha
[big Grin]
Ditto! [big Grin]

quote:

quote:

[big Grin]
Ditto! [big Grin]

quote:

quote:

[big Grin]
I know! I was like [Question] ... SOMEBODY HAS PAID ATTENTION IN CLASS! [big Grin]

quote:

quote:

[big Grin]
I know! I was like [Question] ... SOMEBODY HAS PAID ATTENTION IN CLASS! [big Grin]

I dont think its his tooth thought because he just had his teech done like 3 months ago and he only does it the first time and he is usualy just looking around and his ears are up.

I dont think its his tooth thought because he just had his teech done like 3 months ago and he only does it the first time and he is usualy just looking around and his ears are up.