Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
putsy54

Moon Blindness Please Help

66 posts in this topic

Definately get to an opthamologist! When my second horse, My, started acting spooky, refusing jumps, running into things, we had our vet out who sent her to Ohio State the next day to be examined. She came back with ERU in both eyes. She was in so much pain, it broke my heart. The atropine made any light unbearable for her -- we got the darkest colored fly mask we could find and kept her in her stall until no one was using the indoor, then we'd turn out all the lights in the barn. Unfortunetly, she had a foal by her side (some people think that a huge stressor can sort of start ERU off; it was her first foal), and watching her panic when Beevy wasn't RIGHT THERE was heartbreaking. We turned to our vets, our friends' vets, etc. for advice.

Eventually, we had her on many natural supplements such as grape seed extract that really helped to ease the pain without the gastro upset. It seemed to slow the process of the ERU as well, and as soon as we found out she was going to go blind, we started teaching voice commands. She knows "gate's open", "walk on", "step", "step UP!", "easy", and others. And you know what? That dang mare will stop dead in her tracks if you holler "Whoa!" from clear across the farm! We try VERY hard not to move things around on her, and if we do, we 'show' them to her the first few times she's around them. She's adjusted quite nicely and follows your voice around. By golly, I swear she counts her steps, too, to get around things that are in her way (we have a huge wood pile next to her doorway to her run-in and I've never seen her even come close to it).

Good luck with everything! You and your horse will be in my thoughts!

Definately get to an opthamologist! When my second horse, My, started acting spooky, refusing jumps, running into things, we had our vet out who sent her to Ohio State the next day to be examined. She came back with ERU in both eyes. She was in so much pain, it broke my heart. The atropine made any light unbearable for her -- we got the darkest colored fly mask we could find and kept her in her stall until no one was using the indoor, then we'd turn out all the lights in the barn. Unfortunetly, she had a foal by her side (some people think that a huge stressor can sort of start ERU off; it was her first foal), and watching her panic when Beevy wasn't RIGHT THERE was heartbreaking. We turned to our vets, our friends' vets, etc. for advice.

Eventually, we had her on many natural supplements such as grape seed extract that really helped to ease the pain without the gastro upset. It seemed to slow the process of the ERU as well, and as soon as we found out she was going to go blind, we started teaching voice commands. She knows "gate's open", "walk on", "step", "step UP!", "easy", and others. And you know what? That dang mare will stop dead in her tracks if you holler "Whoa!" from clear across the farm! We try VERY hard not to move things around on her, and if we do, we 'show' them to her the first few times she's around them. She's adjusted quite nicely and follows your voice around. By golly, I swear she counts her steps, too, to get around things that are in her way (we have a huge wood pile next to her doorway to her run-in and I've never seen her even come close to it).

Good luck with everything! You and your horse will be in my thoughts!

my 24y/o QH mare Queenie has ERU(moon blindness) in both eyes. she is currently living pain free, my vet put her on low doses of asprin and Buteless too keep her eyes from flairing up, the only real flair up i have had with her sence i put her on it was when my other horse died in march, the stress from that made her swell up pritty bad. there have been a couple times where her eyes swelled up and i put her meds in and gave her some banamine and it was gone the next day, but nothing like it used to be.

my 24y/o QH mare Queenie has ERU(moon blindness) in both eyes. she is currently living pain free, my vet put her on low doses of asprin and Buteless too keep her eyes from flairing up, the only real flair up i have had with her sence i put her on it was when my other horse died in march, the stress from that made her swell up pritty bad. there have been a couple times where her eyes swelled up and i put her meds in and gave her some banamine and it was gone the next day, but nothing like it used to be.

Hi everyone, thanks again for all the advice and encouragement! [Huggy] I talked to the vet today and he said Jay is doing great...coming along right on schedule and that he is a great patient. I asked if I brought Poise with if he would check her out and he said he would do it free of charge!! [Yay] The first vet did not stain her eyes, he never even had me take her out of my trailer just looked in her eye a little and said it was moonblindness so I am very excited to get her into this other vet as he is much more thorough. He did stain Jay's eyes and explains everything that he is doing and why( my one friend loves coming with me down there as she learns so much). Poise's eye is still cloudy but she doesn't seem to be having any sensitivity to light and she is taking the eye ointments great and she is not on any steroids.

I hope all is well with all your horses and thank you again for the support! [big Grin]

Hi everyone, thanks again for all the advice and encouragement! [Huggy] I talked to the vet today and he said Jay is doing great...coming along right on schedule and that he is a great patient. I asked if I brought Poise with if he would check her out and he said he would do it free of charge!! [Yay] The first vet did not stain her eyes, he never even had me take her out of my trailer just looked in her eye a little and said it was moonblindness so I am very excited to get her into this other vet as he is much more thorough. He did stain Jay's eyes and explains everything that he is doing and why( my one friend loves coming with me down there as she learns so much). Poise's eye is still cloudy but she doesn't seem to be having any sensitivity to light and she is taking the eye ointments great and she is not on any steroids.

I hope all is well with all your horses and thank you again for the support! [big Grin]

[Yay][Yay] for Jay!! I am so glad he is getting better.

Please give us an update on Poise when you take her in.

[smiley Wavey] BB

[Yay][Yay] for Jay!! I am so glad he is getting better.

Please give us an update on Poise when you take her in.

[smiley Wavey] BB

It amazes me how many of us have blind or half blind horses on here. Maybe we should have our own section on this board to compare topics that are related to handicaped horses?!? I mean, I have learned so much from our experience with Missy and her Uveitis. I have had many calls from area folks that have had a horse have an eye injury and ask questions on how to cope. Maybe we could help each other out and new comers to boot! I love the blind horse group on smart groups, but they are hard to find via internet. We could be another support group right here on Good Old Horse City.

How do we do that???

It amazes me how many of us have blind or half blind horses on here. Maybe we should have our own section on this board to compare topics that are related to handicaped horses?!? I mean, I have learned so much from our experience with Missy and her Uveitis. I have had many calls from area folks that have had a horse have an eye injury and ask questions on how to cope. Maybe we could help each other out and new comers to boot! I love the blind horse group on smart groups, but they are hard to find via internet. We could be another support group right here on Good Old Horse City.

How do we do that???

my mare has uveitis, and she is blind in her right eye now, but she has been in no pain so far.

my mare has uveitis, and she is blind in her right eye now, but she has been in no pain so far.

That's great news about Jay! I hope you can get Poise in there soon - keep us posted on her progress!

[Yay]

CountryMom - I'm all for your idea, but wouldn't have the slightest idea how to get it started. I tend to respond to all these ERU posts and look through the health boards all the time. Having CVM available has been a great help too. Feel free to PM me if you have any ideas for a Blind Horses Board. TracyA might be interested too, and I know Wild Rose has a blind horse.

Tracey M

That's great news about Jay! I hope you can get Poise in there soon - keep us posted on her progress!

[Yay]

CountryMom - I'm all for your idea, but wouldn't have the slightest idea how to get it started. I tend to respond to all these ERU posts and look through the health boards all the time. Having CVM available has been a great help too. Feel free to PM me if you have any ideas for a Blind Horses Board. TracyA might be interested too, and I know Wild Rose has a blind horse.

Tracey M

Ok, guys. I tried to send a PM to the moderator, but was informed the mail box was full. I really do not know how to get this going, but I see a major need for this. I know that many of us who have gone through this can be fantastic support for those in need now. Shoot, I would had even thought about putting our young one down if it had not been for the blind horse group on smartgroups. However, they were not easy to find. Horse City is and can be a great way to reach people who do not easily find forums.

I all I can say is SOMEBODY LET US KNOW HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!

Ok, guys. I tried to send a PM to the moderator, but was informed the mail box was full. I really do not know how to get this going, but I see a major need for this. I know that many of us who have gone through this can be fantastic support for those in need now. Shoot, I would had even thought about putting our young one down if it had not been for the blind horse group on smartgroups. However, they were not easy to find. Horse City is and can be a great way to reach people who do not easily find forums.

I all I can say is SOMEBODY LET US KNOW HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!

Hi guys! Seems like there's been a lot of "buzz" lately about blind horses.

I'm the Paint Horse Journal writer who wrote the blind horse article for our October issue. I've learned a lot about blind horses in researching this article and interviewing owners, like our own TracyA. She and Fessor have an amazing partnership that, I think, we successfully captured on film to illustrate the article.

The basic message of the article is that blindness is not necessarily the end of a horse's quality of life. Remember, many cope quite well with full or partial blindness, if given enough time and care.

Good luck with your horse and keep a positive outlook.

Hi guys! Seems like there's been a lot of "buzz" lately about blind horses.

I'm the Paint Horse Journal writer who wrote the blind horse article for our October issue. I've learned a lot about blind horses in researching this article and interviewing owners, like our own TracyA. She and Fessor have an amazing partnership that, I think, we successfully captured on film to illustrate the article.

The basic message of the article is that blindness is not necessarily the end of a horse's quality of life. Remember, many cope quite well with full or partial blindness, if given enough time and care.

Good luck with your horse and keep a positive outlook.

[smiley Wavey] I'm looking forward to seeing how the pictures came out. [big Grin] I enjoyed our morning together.

Tracy

[smiley Wavey] I'm looking forward to seeing how the pictures came out. [big Grin] I enjoyed our morning together.

Tracy

I have never bought a Paint Horse Journal, but am looking forward to this next months! It is so good to get those kind of articles out there. You are right. Many do think it is the end of the horse's life. Ah, what they don't know!

I have never bought a Paint Horse Journal, but am looking forward to this next months! It is so good to get those kind of articles out there. You are right. Many do think it is the end of the horse's life. Ah, what they don't know!

Hey everyone~

I just got back from the vet and am soo very excited to let you know that both Jay and Poise are going to be fine!! [big Grin] The vet says that Jay was an awesome patient and that after 2 days no longer had to sedate him to put the catheters in his eyes and he is a breeze to do his eye ointment. He and all my horses will now ALWAYS have a fly mask on when outside or riding in the trailer to reduce dust and other things that could get in their eyes. The vet said he believes that Poise has an eye infection as her other eye is draining a little but he does not believe it is moonblindness, which I am really relieved about. He told me to continue with the eye ointment for 6 more days plus he gave me azymicin, given in a shot 1/day for 6 days. I was really scared at first about having a horse that might have a possibility of going blind, but felt a lot better about it after reading your replies. You could really help a lot of people, I think, make life for their blind horses more comfortable and happy. Oh and the vet was really great about our bill. He even did not charge us for a couple of days so what we were expecting to be a $1000-1500 bill was only $765!!! Thanks for supporting me in this scary moment and keep up the good work!!

Hey everyone~

I just got back from the vet and am soo very excited to let you know that both Jay and Poise are going to be fine!! [big Grin] The vet says that Jay was an awesome patient and that after 2 days no longer had to sedate him to put the catheters in his eyes and he is a breeze to do his eye ointment. He and all my horses will now ALWAYS have a fly mask on when outside or riding in the trailer to reduce dust and other things that could get in their eyes. The vet said he believes that Poise has an eye infection as her other eye is draining a little but he does not believe it is moonblindness, which I am really relieved about. He told me to continue with the eye ointment for 6 more days plus he gave me azymicin, given in a shot 1/day for 6 days. I was really scared at first about having a horse that might have a possibility of going blind, but felt a lot better about it after reading your replies. You could really help a lot of people, I think, make life for their blind horses more comfortable and happy. Oh and the vet was really great about our bill. He even did not charge us for a couple of days so what we were expecting to be a $1000-1500 bill was only $765!!! Thanks for supporting me in this scary moment and keep up the good work!!

[Yay][Yay] I am sooo glad they will be okay!!

I know you are relieved. [big Grin]

BB

[Yay][Yay] I am sooo glad they will be okay!!

I know you are relieved. [big Grin]

BB

What a fantastic update!!! Sounds like a vet you need to keep listed in your phone book. I like when they work with you and really educate you. I am so glad to here they are both getting better.

What a fantastic update!!! Sounds like a vet you need to keep listed in your phone book. I like when they work with you and really educate you. I am so glad to here they are both getting better.