Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NCTrailgirl

Nutrena VS Purina

104 posts in this topic

What do you guys think of the feeds? I've been feeding Equine Adult for many years. (we don't have any pasture and no hay) They've been getting this complete feed in place of hay.

We found a new place that deals with Nutrena. We picked up a few bags of Horse Kwik (their versioin of complete)

Does anyone have any personal experience with Nutrena? Is it a good feed?

Thanks all!

What do you guys think of the feeds? I've been feeding Equine Adult for many years. (we don't have any pasture and no hay) They've been getting this complete feed in place of hay.

We found a new place that deals with Nutrena. We picked up a few bags of Horse Kwik (their versioin of complete)

Does anyone have any personal experience with Nutrena? Is it a good feed?

Thanks all!

When my gelding had to go on a complete feed, my vet at the time recommended Purina. So I tried it.

Then I started doing research.

At the time of my research, I found the following:

-per serving, the Nutrena was better nutritionally

-the Nutrena was made to one standard, where the Purina varied depending on which plant it was made at.

-the Nutrena was less expensive

-the Nutrena was MORE palatible to my horse

I switched to Nutrena. And was very happy with the product.

Since then, I have fed a number of different Nutrena products.

When my gelding had to go on a complete feed, my vet at the time recommended Purina. So I tried it.

Then I started doing research.

At the time of my research, I found the following:

-per serving, the Nutrena was better nutritionally

-the Nutrena was made to one standard, where the Purina varied depending on which plant it was made at.

-the Nutrena was less expensive

-the Nutrena was MORE palatible to my horse

I switched to Nutrena. And was very happy with the product.

Since then, I have fed a number of different Nutrena products.

We use Nutrena.

I used Purina for over 20 years but as Buddy shows is one of the reason why I switched.

I still like Omelene 100-300 and Equine Senior but I will now only use Nutrena Lite Balance or Safe Choice or Prime.

My horses don't get the stuff they can't have or need in Nutrena.

We use Nutrena.

I used Purina for over 20 years but as Buddy shows is one of the reason why I switched.

I still like Omelene 100-300 and Equine Senior but I will now only use Nutrena Lite Balance or Safe Choice or Prime.

My horses don't get the stuff they can't have or need in Nutrena.

That's makes me feel better about Nutrena. It sounds good on paper, but I didnt' have any personal experience. It's whole lot cheaper than the Purina. We are currently feeding a bag of Equine Adult a day (plus BP, BOSS, and Alfalfa cubes) and it's getting the better of us.

Fingers crossed there are no negatives!

That's makes me feel better about Nutrena. It sounds good on paper, but I didnt' have any personal experience. It's whole lot cheaper than the Purina. We are currently feeding a bag of Equine Adult a day (plus BP, BOSS, and Alfalfa cubes) and it's getting the better of us.

Fingers crossed there are no negatives!

NC, I don't think you'll find any, frankly.

As sad and pathetic as it may be, I did a whole lot of research on this subject and really did find that bang for the buck, Nurena was best. Plus the horses seemed to like it a whole lot better.

When I moved to MI, I had to drive 60 miles round trip to the nearest dealer (which blew chunks) but it was worth it.

I had fewer bad bags, horses ate better, and I was a lot more confident in the consistency of the product.

I'm not saying Purina is bad....I just happen to feel that Nutrena is superior.

NC, I don't think you'll find any, frankly.

As sad and pathetic as it may be, I did a whole lot of research on this subject and really did find that bang for the buck, Nurena was best. Plus the horses seemed to like it a whole lot better.

When I moved to MI, I had to drive 60 miles round trip to the nearest dealer (which blew chunks) but it was worth it.

I had fewer bad bags, horses ate better, and I was a lot more confident in the consistency of the product.

I'm not saying Purina is bad....I just happen to feel that Nutrena is superior.

Ditto to BuddyRoo. For the past 2yrs I have had up to 13 on Nutrena SafeChoice at one time. Everything from foals to a 24yr old. They all look great, even the vet agrees.

Got started on it for Blue who had insulin issues on Omolene.

The only thing I will say, if you have one that bolts their feed, you might want to wet it.

edited for spelling! [Razz]

[ 08-19-2007, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: BB Blue ]

Ditto to BuddyRoo. For the past 2yrs I have had up to 13 on Nutrena SafeChoice at one time. Everything from foals to a 24yr old. They all look great, even the vet agrees.

Got started on it for Blue who had insulin issues on Omolene.

The only thing I will say, if you have one that bolts their feed, you might want to wet it.

edited for spelling! [Razz]

[ 08-19-2007, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: BB Blue ]

Thanks BuddyR and BB!

I'm not sure if I could feed just the safechoice... I have no hay and they need the roughage from the grain.

BB, does it swell up and cause Choke? or is that just a precaution. I don't normally wet the grain (even if it's pellets) but I do wet down the BP and Alf. cubes for the second 1/2 of their feedings. Is is just like Strategy (consistancy wise)?

Thanks BuddyR and BB!

I'm not sure if I could feed just the safechoice... I have no hay and they need the roughage from the grain.

BB, does it swell up and cause Choke? or is that just a precaution. I don't normally wet the grain (even if it's pellets) but I do wet down the BP and Alf. cubes for the second 1/2 of their feedings. Is is just like Strategy (consistancy wise)?

There is no need to wet down safe choice. Saf choice was made for the colic prone, or lots of horses that had to be fed together. You really can't over feed safe choice. Personnally I don't like safe choice, never did anything for my horses. Nutrena is a great feed, but you do have to watch your prices. I buy omleen 300 and it is 13 dollars a bag, with nutrena junior is is 14 dollars a bag, senior is 13 dollars, safe choice is around 12 dollars.

safe choice is considered a complete feed, but I would still feed them hay or kcubes.

There is no need to wet down safe choice. Saf choice was made for the colic prone, or lots of horses that had to be fed together. You really can't over feed safe choice. Personnally I don't like safe choice, never did anything for my horses. Nutrena is a great feed, but you do have to watch your prices. I buy omleen 300 and it is 13 dollars a bag, with nutrena junior is is 14 dollars a bag, senior is 13 dollars, safe choice is around 12 dollars.

safe choice is considered a complete feed, but I would still feed them hay or kcubes.

I have never fed Strategy, so not sure. It is pellets, not big ones.

I have a couple who eat too fast and they would get so much in their mouths and kinda choke. Not a real choke, just gag like. I would wet it some, it breaks down faster and they quit gagging. I don't have to wet it anymore.

I also wet it for the foals so they could chew it easier.

One that I got had been on sweet feed. She would not eat her sweet feed when we got her home. When I put the Safechoice in front of her, she ate it right up. It smells good, sorta like alfalfa.

I find that I feed a lot less of it than Omolene and get the same results.

edited to add after daphne's post- don't you all find it amazing that feed prices vary around the country? Here SafeChoice is 10.99 a bag.

[ 08-19-2007, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: BB Blue ]

I have never fed Strategy, so not sure. It is pellets, not big ones.

I have a couple who eat too fast and they would get so much in their mouths and kinda choke. Not a real choke, just gag like. I would wet it some, it breaks down faster and they quit gagging. I don't have to wet it anymore.

I also wet it for the foals so they could chew it easier.

One that I got had been on sweet feed. She would not eat her sweet feed when we got her home. When I put the Safechoice in front of her, she ate it right up. It smells good, sorta like alfalfa.

I find that I feed a lot less of it than Omolene and get the same results.

edited to add after daphne's post- don't you all find it amazing that feed prices vary around the country? Here SafeChoice is 10.99 a bag.

[ 08-19-2007, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: BB Blue ]

WHen it comes to Nutrena, we have fed the Vitality (12%), youth, Senior and are currently feeding Safe Choice. I agree with what everyone said about it. You can feed less cause it has more in it. It is VERY palatable to the horses and it's cheaper...well, around here it is!

My husband's dad had a gelding that he had on Nutrena since he bought him when he was 10. He lived till 33 and to the day he died, he always looked in good shape. You never would have known he was 33 yrs old. Good coat, good feet, good weight. and the senior feed was great because it was highly palatable and broke down REAL easy for the old many with not a lot of teeth.

I wouldn't feed anything else at this point...even if prices go up! [Wink]

WHen it comes to Nutrena, we have fed the Vitality (12%), youth, Senior and are currently feeding Safe Choice. I agree with what everyone said about it. You can feed less cause it has more in it. It is VERY palatable to the horses and it's cheaper...well, around here it is!

My husband's dad had a gelding that he had on Nutrena since he bought him when he was 10. He lived till 33 and to the day he died, he always looked in good shape. You never would have known he was 33 yrs old. Good coat, good feet, good weight. and the senior feed was great because it was highly palatable and broke down REAL easy for the old many with not a lot of teeth.

I wouldn't feed anything else at this point...even if prices go up! [Wink]

We use Nutrena pellets, less sugar,= less flies!!!! Plus our horses are not real hyper anymore as when we were using sweet feed. Been using for several years now & won't go back to sweet feed.

We use Nutrena pellets, less sugar,= less flies!!!! Plus our horses are not real hyper anymore as when we were using sweet feed. Been using for several years now & won't go back to sweet feed.

I agree BRoo [Not Worthy] Maybe we should become salespeople for Nutrena [ROTFL]

I agree BRoo [Not Worthy] Maybe we should become salespeople for Nutrena [ROTFL]

We feed Compete 10 and a mix of shredded corn and oats to our horses. Never had a problem. I do wish it had more fat in it tho.

We feed Compete 10 and a mix of shredded corn and oats to our horses. Never had a problem. I do wish it had more fat in it tho.

Nutrena...hands down. Superior product to Purina any way.

However, you really need to be meeting their long-stem forage needs, not just their caloric needs. Soaked beet pulp is a great way to do that and it's not expensive. I buy the molasses-free shreds, soak 'em for 15 minutes and feed. They get plenty of chew time and it processes slowly through the gut like hay.

You can also use alfalfa or hay cubes to substitute. Just soak them down a bit too to lessen the chance of choke.

Nutrena...hands down. Superior product to Purina any way.

However, you really need to be meeting their long-stem forage needs, not just their caloric needs. Soaked beet pulp is a great way to do that and it's not expensive. I buy the molasses-free shreds, soak 'em for 15 minutes and feed. They get plenty of chew time and it processes slowly through the gut like hay.

You can also use alfalfa or hay cubes to substitute. Just soak them down a bit too to lessen the chance of choke.