Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jumpin_horses

olive oil?

22 posts in this topic

would olive oil (extra virgin - cold pressed) be better to feed than vegetable oil (soybean)?

forget the cost, I was just wondering if it were a better oil.

does regular vegetable oil go through some process that olive oil doesnt? like hydrogen... um.. something.....

would olive oil (extra virgin - cold pressed) be better to feed than vegetable oil (soybean)?

forget the cost, I was just wondering if it were a better oil.

does regular vegetable oil go through some process that olive oil doesnt? like hydrogen... um.. something.....

Hmm, you would think it might be better since it doesn't go through all the processing that veg oil does. I searched a little on google and all I really found was that horses may not like the taste. [Confused]

Hmm, you would think it might be better since it doesn't go through all the processing that veg oil does. I searched a little on google and all I really found was that horses may not like the taste. [Confused]

Its funny you asked this as I was just wondering about it a few days ago.

Either way I would still rather feed soy oil, over corn/veg/olive/etc.

Its funny you asked this as I was just wondering about it a few days ago.

Either way I would still rather feed soy oil, over corn/veg/olive/etc.

I live in Olive country so we have lots of oil presses around. I get bulk oil for my tack and to feed to the horses. My 4 y/o colt loves the stuff. I've seen no negitive effects, he was actually calmer eating olive oil and small amounts of bran than pellets. Good stuff in my mind although cost prohibitive to some.

I live in Olive country so we have lots of oil presses around. I get bulk oil for my tack and to feed to the horses. My 4 y/o colt loves the stuff. I've seen no negitive effects, he was actually calmer eating olive oil and small amounts of bran than pellets. Good stuff in my mind although cost prohibitive to some.

um, so is vegetable oil, not hydrogenated if its not solid?

Im just wondering why olive oil is SO much better than vegetable oil, and Im wondering if its because of the process

um, so is vegetable oil, not hydrogenated if its not solid?

Im just wondering why olive oil is SO much better than vegetable oil, and Im wondering if its because of the process

Vegetable oil is an unsaturated fat and these fats are typically liquid at room temperature. I would not think feeding olive oil would have any benefit over feeding other vegetable oils because what you are mostly after is the added calories. All fats have the same calories per gram so unless you can get olive oil at a lower cost than say corn oil then I would not feed it. All oils are not equal but it depends on why you are feeding the oil. I used to feed 2 oz of corn oil during the late winter\early spring because it accelerated the shedding process. Corn oil is higher in the fatty acid called linoleic acid than some other vegetable oils and this is what puts a bloom on a horse.

Vegetable oil is an unsaturated fat and these fats are typically liquid at room temperature. I would not think feeding olive oil would have any benefit over feeding other vegetable oils because what you are mostly after is the added calories. All fats have the same calories per gram so unless you can get olive oil at a lower cost than say corn oil then I would not feed it. All oils are not equal but it depends on why you are feeding the oil. I used to feed 2 oz of corn oil during the late winter\early spring because it accelerated the shedding process. Corn oil is higher in the fatty acid called linoleic acid than some other vegetable oils and this is what puts a bloom on a horse.

I like corn oil. But, it can have more sugar in it....

The thing is, because horses' digestive systems metabolize fats differently than ours, saturated vs unsaturated fats aren't as relevant. IE: giving extra virgin "good for your heart" olive oil isn't really protecting your horse from the "terrible veggie oil blend" like it does you.

Vegetable blends like corn, canola or veggie oil are all safe...I've never personally tried olive oil....but have tried wheat germ oil, coco-soya oil, etc....

I'm my purpose is to get some weight on a horse by upping calories, I'm most likely to grab the corn or veggie oil.

I like corn oil. But, it can have more sugar in it....

The thing is, because horses' digestive systems metabolize fats differently than ours, saturated vs unsaturated fats aren't as relevant. IE: giving extra virgin "good for your heart" olive oil isn't really protecting your horse from the "terrible veggie oil blend" like it does you.

Vegetable blends like corn, canola or veggie oil are all safe...I've never personally tried olive oil....but have tried wheat germ oil, coco-soya oil, etc....

I'm my purpose is to get some weight on a horse by upping calories, I'm most likely to grab the corn or veggie oil.