Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jbeam

Can you give Benadryl to horses as an anti-histamine?

19 posts in this topic

If so, what would the dose be for a 1000 lb horse and how long could you safely give the horse benadryl?

Thanks in advance. [smiley Wavey]

If so, what would the dose be for a 1000 lb horse and how long could you safely give the horse benadryl?

Thanks in advance. [smiley Wavey]

Yes, you can. But I would strongly recommend talking to your veterinarian first to be safe.

Giving OTC Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) tabs at 25mg a piece means that you'd be giving 20-40 tablets for ONE DOSE for a horse around 500kg. (the dosage range is 1-2 mg/kg as I recall--so 500-1000mg of benadryl for an approx 500kg horse)

You might be better off getting something from your vet....and further, if you're not sure what the allergen is, getting to the root cause is wise.

There are veterinary preparations that could be more effective as well. Like corticosteroids.

Hard to say what's best without being a vet. [Wink]

I am not a vet nor do I play one on TV. And I am not positive on the dose.

[ 07-17-2008, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: BuddyRooShmancyNShy ]

Yes, you can. But I would strongly recommend talking to your veterinarian first to be safe.

Giving OTC Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) tabs at 25mg a piece means that you'd be giving 20-40 tablets for ONE DOSE for a horse around 500kg. (the dosage range is 1-2 mg/kg as I recall--so 500-1000mg of benadryl for an approx 500kg horse)

You might be better off getting something from your vet....and further, if you're not sure what the allergen is, getting to the root cause is wise.

There are veterinary preparations that could be more effective as well. Like corticosteroids.

Hard to say what's best without being a vet. [Wink]

I am not a vet nor do I play one on TV. And I am not positive on the dose.

[ 07-17-2008, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: BuddyRooShmancyNShy ]

On the advice of my vet I give it for fly allergies.I give 10 of the 25 mg diphenhydramine twice a day until symptoms are gone. My colt weighs 975lbs. He got a cortisone shot in May as well.I would definitely ask your vet and see what he thinks.Good luck!!

On the advice of my vet I give it for fly allergies.I give 10 of the 25 mg diphenhydramine twice a day until symptoms are gone. My colt weighs 975lbs. He got a cortisone shot in May as well.I would definitely ask your vet and see what he thinks.Good luck!!

BUMMER!!!!Its seems like no matter how much fly spray I go thru he still breaks out!!!Hes an Arab so the sensitive skin thing Im sure does NOT help?!!!How bad are they on your horse?

BUMMER!!!!Its seems like no matter how much fly spray I go thru he still breaks out!!!Hes an Arab so the sensitive skin thing Im sure does NOT help?!!!How bad are they on your horse?

He gets extremely itchy and will rub his tail and mane raw. He gets lethargic and has little energy because of the constant irritation. He's a different horse in the winter.

He gets extremely itchy and will rub his tail and mane raw. He gets lethargic and has little energy because of the constant irritation. He's a different horse in the winter.

Boy that is rotten. Have you tried a fly sheet for some protection.? [smiley Wavey]

Boy that is rotten. Have you tried a fly sheet for some protection.? [smiley Wavey]

My barn is set up so that I can safely keep him indoors, but he can walk around. That seems to be the best way to manage the issue so far. He's a different horse when kept inside.

If it's not buggy, I'll turn him out while I do some chores and then bring him right back in.

So far I've found that's been the best solution for him.

My barn is set up so that I can safely keep him indoors, but he can walk around. That seems to be the best way to manage the issue so far. He's a different horse when kept inside.

If it's not buggy, I'll turn him out while I do some chores and then bring him right back in.

So far I've found that's been the best solution for him.

The vet came out to my barn just the other day for a mare with a bad allergic reaction. She said to give about 15 tablets of benedryl.. hope that helps