Quantcast

Fourth Of July

Posted by Avishay04, 30 June 2012 · 5,529 views

The birthday of our country is this Wednesday, and I'm always a bit nervous for my horses. We live in a fairly urban area, and though my BO's property is a whopping (by local standards) 5 acres, I still worry that some idiot will try to shoot my horses with airsoft rifles or throw beer bottles at them, or try to set off fireworks in the corrals - both of the former have happened before, though we never were able to track down a culprit as the attacks happened in the wee hours of the morning (sometime between about 1:00 and 6:00 am). The barn owners no longer have a dog, and while the property is fenced, it's mostly fencing to keep horses in, not keep determined humans out. I always worry, and I'm even contemplating sleeping down tat the barn again this year like I did last year.  Threatening to shoot trespassers doesn't really work, either - California law is such that the person has to be threatening a human (being a threat to livestock doesn't count), and shooting an intruder doesn't extend to property - only to the actual home. I'm also not licensed for a concealed carry permit (very hard to obtain here), so while I have a few guns and the knowledge to use them, I can't legally carry them at my barn since I don't reside there. I have signs posted to warn people off, and the BO does a bed check around midnight or so, but other than that, I don't know what else to do to protect my animals. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

November 2014

S M T W T F S
2324252627 28 29

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Categories