Quantcast

Working With Disabled Children

Posted by Desirae, in a small story as a blessing 06 August 2012 · 5,481 views

You may know me as Desirae, but there is more to my name than meets the eye......
I am 18 yrs old and I love horses.
I have been diagnosed with ADHD at the age of eight and diagnosed with ASPERGERS syndrom at the age of twelve. Unlike regular children I had a number of strengths that helped me to gain the confidence that I needed to make it through school. Just last summer I had met the most amazing horse ever, Her name is Summit Sparkling Rose ( Rosie), she was the first morgan horse that I could call a friend, towards the end of that summer my instructor offered me a volunteering position at her farm. I took her up on the offer and thats when I started to help disabled children during their riding lessons. I found so much joy in helping other disabled children and being able to see them laugh so freely, that was an experience that helped me to understand that life should not be taken for granted and that a horse can be the wngs of support for physicaly disabled children and give back what has been lost to a disabled child for a long time.... that lost object for any disabled child would be the confidence to ignor their disability just for the moment that they have on the backs of horses.

I am a young adult who knows how it feels to be looked down upon by people who don't understand that there are people who are physicaly and mentaly different from everyone else.
Please don't  look down on us. instead look at our strengths not our weakness.
people with disabilities don't look down upon people that don't have disabilities instead we look up to people with kindness and respect.

I volunteered with a stable that taught mentally and physically disable children to ride. Not only is it good physical therapy, it is a huge ego boost for the rider. It definitely gave me a different perspective on my own problems. It also made me appreciate my kids much more! Those 25 years were some of the most rewarding of my life!

October 2014

S M T W T F S
26272829 30 31 

Recent Entries

Recent Comments