All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Last week
  2. RT @lindaholmes: @BlairBraverman I wonder how different a lot of people's lives would be if they were inculcated with the idea that your bo…

3. The Front Porch

Oh one of my favorite staffers was nice enough to take a pic with the Shortman. I absolutely love working with Miss Rodeo, she has a really fun personality.
  4. The Front Porch

LC, if you are a go go type of person you would be surprised at how coffee can mellow you out. It really works good for me to calm down. The general clientele are a pain in the donkey butt that I just don't want to deal with anymore.
  5. The Front Porch

RRW, have fun at the rodeo! I have no experience with RVs. They seem so self contained. Why are they such a pain? I'll have to pass on the coffee, unless it's decaf. No one, and I mean no one, wants to see me on coffee. My normal waking state is hyper, especially in the morning. Surgery to remove the gallbladder is scheduled later this week. I have to pack in enough feed and hay to make sure I don't have to lift anything for a week or so after surgery. Not sure how fast I am going to recover, but hubby wants me to get a petsitter to help. Don't wanna, but I might have them come once per day to check waters. I think I will turn everyone out for couple of days because I can't expect a petsitter to clean the stalls.
  6. The Front Porch

Been up for several hours; about coffee'd out, but thanks for the invite.
  7. The Front Porch

Yay!!!!! in 29 hours the last of the rodeo rv park guest will be gone for good. The rv park is getting closed permanently as Oct 1 this year. I swear these people are going to drive me to the loony bin. So tonight we are going to the rodeo. Instead of general seating tickets I had managed to get reserved seats that are in a great spot just down from the chutes. Shortman is going to really enjoy it. Hope you all have a great morning, I've got the coffee on please help yourself.
  8. Check in.

QH, sure hope things turn for the better for you and your family. Nice to see you pop in by all means feel free to stop more frequently. As for my part of the world not much different for us, work work work is what we do. Doing our best finding a little fun time during the busy summer.
  9. Check in.

I'm sorry, qh. Not much change. I have a bad gallbladder (surgery scheduled). We stopped breeding Dexter cattle. We just have a few pet cows now. One pet cow has an atrocious udder (she is one of our first calves and she gave us lots of good beef over the years because we had to cull all her calves to keep her traits from passing on). She is very dear to us, despite her goofy udder. She just had her last calf and I designed a bra for her to help give her support until she can have surgery on her udder in November. A cow 'mammectomy', as they call it. I am down to one horse and John has his pony. We ride as often as we can (early mornings because of the heat). I had to put my old mare, Libby, down. It sucked, but it was time. She went peacefully, but we couldn't bury her here (spring runs under our land). I cut her tail and she went to the landfill. The GSD pup, Zeke, is now 6 months old. He finally has enough self control to wander around the house without chasing cats or stealing socks. Okay, he still steals an occasional sock, but he's much better.
  10. Check in.

Evening, I have not popped my head in here in quite some time. How is everything going? Life moves on here. It has all changed, not for the good, but we are trying.
  11. Texas People #6

Oh, wow!
  12. Texas People #6

There were reports of pool water in El Paso Tx reacting.
  13. The Front Porch

Thanks, PD. Heidi, we are pretty much done breeding. Ursa, Fiona's last calf, might become a draft animal (ox), but no plans to breed right now. Krowka may get milked, depending on how she does with handling over the next few weeks. I'm happy with the contribution we've made to the breed. There are some nice tempered Dexters with good builds that came from our farm. Most of the heifers that we sold are family milk cows now. We also produced a few good bulls. We turned the donkey and goat out with the cows. It went well. The playful goat intrigues Ursa. They might become playmates. On the bright side, we are not far from lambing season. They have two small pastures and a paddock, just for the sheep. Four ewes, three were twins, and one was a triplet. It's about to get crazy.
  14. Texas People #6

I heard it could be felt in Sacramento, but I didn't think it would be strong enough to affect a pool that far north. Any shaking at all would freak me out!
  15. Texas People #6

3 hours north from the epicenter about 100 mi due east of San Fran.
  16. The Front Porch

LC - my favorite Netflix British mystery show is Happy Valley - check it out if you haven't seen it. It's like Broadchurch, but better. Themes are pretty dark, though, great characters. We love historical fiction and the Last Kingdom is amazing.
  17. The Front Porch

Wow, that certainly is small. Will you continue to breed the cows by AI so you have calf crops? I'm sorry your cows are upset with the changes. I hope they adjust soon.
  18. Texas People #6

I thought you were in Northern CA? You were close to the earthquake?
  19. The Front Porch

LC, Very understandable since your herd is on small side, your cows can notice the difference very quickly, with loss of their buddies, but you did it so the others so they would have something to eat. your intentions were good, & they will adjust with time. But I'm proud you are a feeling person, & care deeply about your critters. That is awesome. Take Care PD
  20. The Front Porch

Lol! We are down to just three cows. Fiona and her calf, plus Krowka, the red cow. They have been subdued and depressed since we sold the others. The calf misses her playmate. Krowka misses her mother. Krowka will have her calf soon, so that will help. I am trying to spend more time with them. These herd animals get upset when they lose their friends. Our pasture just wasn't big enough. No way to explain to them that it was too expensive. Fiona is mostly back to her old self, but Krowka is withdrawn. I hope she forgives me.
  21. The Front Porch

Its funny how you can instruct till you are blue in the face & they won't listen. Be told how to by a stranger & they listen. My housekeeper is Miss Rodeo Queen this year & was nice to give us two tickets for Sat night. This will be Shortman's first time & will have to find Miss Rodeo for a pic of her all dolled up. She has really long straight hair(the rodeo committee requires very big hair) & I've been teasing her about having to use Aqua Net to get the curls to stick. When she came into work told her it is safe to smoke around her without going up in flames.
  22. The Front Porch

RRW, he just had it for a week. He is. keeping his. heels down much better now with his pony. We ride together in the mornings, as often as we can. :)
  23. The Front Porch

Heart of Dixie is another cute show.
  24. The Front Porch

Heartland used to come on one of my regular tv stations years ago. Not sure whatever happened to it. I may start it all over.
  25. Texas People #6

Well we were in the car a few min away from my nieces home when it happened didn’t feel it but saw the pool water dance a few min later. My other nieces husband said their pool had white caps. They live a few min away. Yes P’s leg completely healed, just a linear scar that will probably be dark in color as she’s gray.
  26. The Front Porch

Sorry, no horse reads here. How is LJ enjoying horse camp? Shortman is sure enjoying his time at camp this year. He had to laugh because of the boys he doesn't care for went in the muck of the lake & came out with leeches. .
  1. Load more activity