All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. The Front Porch

Good for you, Heidi, for rescuing Gallardo. I'm sure his owners were relieved, even if they were sad. I hope his vet check goes well.
  3. The Front Porch

The bull leaves today. We are loading him up and taking him to be collected for two weeks. Then, straight to the slaughterhouse down the street. The steer will join him the same day. Meanwhile, the little calf that missed her friend is bonding with us instead.
  4. The Front Porch

I hope the vet is able to get him straightened out and on the road to recovery. You need good news after everything you've been through.
  5. The Front Porch

Just a funny moment the camera caught? I'm noticing it in both pictures but I know in each he was making a fairly tight turn. I'm off on Tuesdays and I'll give him a careful eye as I watch him move around today. Even if I miss something, vet will see next week.
  6. The Front Porch

Heidi, Wish you luck with Gallardo, I'm sure he'll do fine & look like a new horse with time, in your capable hands. Glad you found him, & he found you. I look forward to seeing updates on his progress in the near future. Take Care & Best Wishes. PD
  7. The Front Porch

What a nice evening. I let Zarinna (cowgirl #1) take Lyric (cowgirl #2) under her wing this evening. They set up the obstacles together and worked with the minis. Lyric is meticulous when shes grooming, it was fun to watch her. I got the big horses dewormed and fed while they did their thing. Lyric loved every minute, and I think Zarinna likes having a partner. I told Zarinna when Whitewash was finished her dinner she could give Lyric a leg up and lead her back into the field to be turned out. (We do this often and its a very short ride, 5 steps, through the gate, and then youre done.) Zarinna has never given anyone a leg up but I assured her that Lyric knew what to do. I didnt offer any help (and pretended to be busy with something else) because I knew they could do it together and I wanted to see how they worked together. Before I knew it Lyric had climbed the fence next to Whitewash and was instructing Zarinna to push Whitewash over closer to the fence so she could jump on! I nearly died laughing! This kid has guts and I love it! Maybe she will help build Zarinnas confidence. Whitewash stepped away from the fence so I did end up lending a hand (but not much) and I let Lyric hop on from the fence. Zarinna then led them out into the field. They cleaned up the obstacles and put everything away, eagerly cleaned the horses fed pans for me, and we called it an evening. I came home and got my firepit going. A friend stopped by and we sat around the firepit, even made some hotdogs on my little grill. Now winding down and getting ready for 2 days at work. (Ill post pics tomorrow.)
  8. The Front Porch

He will blossom under your care, Heidi. It's probably just the angle, but that left hind angle looks funny to me. Maybe just a gaited horse thing?
  9. Yesterday
  10. The Front Porch

Usually takes a month for tick treatment to get in the system. Some work faster. Heidi poor boy you'll have him right as rain before you know it. It is very heart breaking to see someone give up their beloved critter for the right reasons. Heck when I picked up Zip I was almost crying from being around the gal who was selling.
  11. The Front Porch

Ooo, Gallardo is handsome. Just lounging outside in my hammock waiting for Cowgirl #2 to get dropped off. We've got lots to do today. Probably wont have time for it all. Benny goes to the vet on Friday for a couple shots, a heartworm test, and a well pooch visit. Shes on a flea and tick preventative but I didnt give it to her all winter. I just started her back up last month. Im wondering if the med has to build up in her body or if it works right away. Ive pulled 3 lonestar ticks off of her in a week. I hate lonestar ticks, theyre the ones that cause alpha gal (red meat allergy). Ill check with the vet Friday about it.
  12. The Front Porch

Soooo, I picked up a re-hab horse this Easter weekend. I need to caution everyone, he would be given a very low Henneke body condition score. Meet Gallardo EC ET, a 14yr old Peruvian horse. We drove three hours to pick him up in Alabama and bring him home on Saturday. Previous owners were treating for ulcers at their veterinarian's suggestion with over-the-counter remedies. According to them he didn’t do well when they brought him from their northern summer home to their southern winter home. Their trip was three days long and he dropped massive amounts of weight that have been slow to recover. They were planning to return north soon and felt the long trip would be even harder on him. Their lifestyle recently changed and they will be making this trip between homes several times a year. Knowing Gallardo would have a hard time they opted to find him a good home as locally as they could. After talking with them we came to an agreement. The lady was heartbroken to see him go, they've had him for 10yrs, but I am honored they’ve entrusted him to my care. We have a vet appointment next week (4/30) for a thorough vetting. I have a PowerPak and will give him that because the top of his tail looks a little rubbed with short hairs. He came from a sandy lot so I'll have him checked for sand issues as well as ulcers and, well, I guess I'll see what the vet says next week. Meanwhile, I'm getting him introduced to our hay, pellets and routine. So far, he is doing very well - cleaning up his food, looks bright and alert, drinking and has firm poop balls.
  13. The Front Porch

I hope so. I read an article that said when the mother gets ready to wean them, she just doesn't go back to the nest. Seems pretty harsh to me.
  14. The Front Porch

Jubal, they had eggs to hide.
  15. The Front Porch

The bunnies have left their nest. I hope it was their idea.
  16. The Front Porch

Happy Easter! Hope it was a good day for everyone! Nice to 'see' you, PD ;)
  17. The Front Porch

Hi All, Hope everybody had belated Happy Easter, Been a while since I stopped in. Not much going on Wish you all a great new week. Take Care, PD
  18. The Front Porch

HoHum....Easter is over & I didn't get the dang bunny or any eggs
  19. Last week
  20. Texas People #6

You have some proud flesh building up there. Not as bad as it could have been. Your vet will have a treatment to reduce that.
  21. Texas People #6

Traeper seems to be doing good with his injury. No more bandaging and we have ridden him around the farm and in the roundpen/arena, no limping. His still isn't pretty. I think that it will never have hair there again, but as long as it doesn't break open we will be good!
  22. The Front Porch

Happy Easter!! Sure hope everyone enjoys their day. All but one egg has been found, then again nothing is hidden very hard.
  23. The Front Porch

We color the eggs, but don't hide them. We try to crack each other's eggs before we eat them, by taking turns smacking them on their tops. We eat hard boiled eggs for breakfast often, so it isn't much of a change, but the coloring is fun. I have three Leghorn hens to give us white eggs. All the rest of the hens lay brown or green eggs. I have been saving the white ones up this week and we have 9 to color.
  24. The Front Porch

Oh there have been outdoor egg hunt with lots of snow on the ground here. Funny seeing little kids all bundled up to mad dash for eggs. We bought a lego set for Shortman. Was of the hope the pieces would fit in the eggs but they are to small. So will hide the eggs with quarters in them & put the lego bags with the eggs. We don't color eggs as Shortman is HORRIBLE about looking & finding. Odie would find boiled eggs faster.
  25. The Front Porch

We do baskets, but don't "Easter bunny". We never Easter bunnied. Can't fool a farm kid. LJ knows exactly who is hiding the eggs and who makes the baskets. It's a religious holiday for us, but we do a little of the secular fun, too. I do hide plastic eggs with coins in them. My grandpa used to do that. It makes it much safer than forgetting one and having the dog find it later and throw up on the carpet, lol! Yeah, that happened at my house once as a kid.
  26. The Front Porch

Oh wow! Indoor egg hunts in your area, lol!
  27. The Front Porch

Just in time for Easter egg hunts--snow! Big fluffy flakes! It isn't sticking because the ground is too warm, but it's been snowing for a couple hours. On Thursday, I was in a t-shirt and cotton pants.
  28. The Front Porch

Oh, that is cool, RRW! Not sure if others do that. It's a Catholic Church tradition. Maybe Orthodox?
  1. Load more activity