All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. Happy Father's Day

Yes, Happy Father's Day!
  3. Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there.
  4. Last week
  5. The Front Porch

Sorry LC about Libby. Are are doing right by her especially if she is unable to cope.
  6. Texas People #6

^^^Ain't retirement grand?!
  7. Texas People #6

Haha I wonder that about her all the time. Not sure where we will go first, we have plenty of time to plan. We have two birthdays and a graduation to celebrate in July when we get back from California. Planning a big fish fry here at the house for that on July 13. Will probably plan a trip within a days drive from here, could be Arkansas, eastern Oklahoma. I want to go back to NM and Sedona AZ. but that will be for another year. Have plans in Sept. to meet friends on Dauphin Island Alabama.
  8. The Front Porch

She doesn't have uveitis. She had an injury to one eye (before I got her) and the antibodies produced actually affect both eyes, which cause deterioration in the good eye over time. She lost vision over eight years ago and now it appears that the good eye can only detect light changes and shadows (our best guess based on exam). That is why so many horses eventually go blind in both eyes. Even horses without uveitis. Our vet came out for a second opinion today and explained this. HIs verdict is that Libby is not coping well with blindness in both eyes. He agrees that it is time. This really sucks. Many horses can cope well, but she is not. We will try to get it done before the Fourth because she panics with fireworks.
  9. The Front Porch

They also go through periods when it flares up. That's why it's called moon blindness. Probably having a flare-up.
  10. The Front Porch

Horses with uveitus react that way. Sunlight is painful for them.
  11. The Front Porch

Hey guys. I am getting a second vet opinion today on Libby, but she is getting worse. She did not like being turned out in the round pen with her best friend horse yesterday. She has been pinning her ears more at them whenever she is turned out. She hates being out alone, but she's mean to others out with her. She was very relieved to go back to her stall. I don't know what is going on with her. This change has happened over weeks, so not a heat cycle thing. Maybe just not tolerating blindness? Maybe dementia? Anyone ever seen dementia in a horse?
  12. @rachsyme I almost saw this last night!! Saw Souvenir instead (which we hated). It's on my to-do list!

13. Texas People #6

Wouldn't you love to know what they're thinking?! That look in the second to last photo! Where will you go on your first trip?
  14. The Front Porch

Never have had wild turkey.
  15. The Front Porch

Wild turkey DOES actually taste better than domestic turkey.
  16. Texas People #6

Good to hear. Paisley’s is looking good, the swelling under the wound is slowly going away. Thankfully she has no joint involvement. Our RV came in, we’re heading to pick it up in Grand Rapids Michigan this Monday. Lots to do before then. Grandson is house/pet sitting for us. I am soooo relieved he can do that for us. No one I trust more and the animals adore him. He’s supposed to be making a food list so I can stock up, don’t want the boy to go hungry while he’s here. This baby LOVES balloons and does not let them go. She held on to that balloon for 3 hrs. Jutting chin puckered lips is her new thing! She is a mess!
  17. The Front Porch

I've heard wild turkey tastes better than domestic. But I heard it from someone who wanted to hunt on my land. I told him the animals come here because they know they're safe.
  18. The Front Porch

RRW, I met my wife on a blind date also, we shared 47 years together, God knows who we need in our lives, & He gave me a good one. But now I have another in my life, & we'll see how that goes. Could be an interesting journey. LC, Sounds like your wild turkey, has found your home nicer than being in the wild. I wish you well with her. Best Wishes. PD
  19. The Front Porch

Spanish, I am up till 10pm. Usually with the cell calls I have it handy from 4pm on as I only carry the office phone during the day.
  20. The Front Porch

Good Morning-- PD, Thank you! You're very kind. Yes, I remember that horse expo! It was so fun to be able to meet people from HC in person. I hope to get down to another expo, perhaps next year. It has been a couple years now since going. Heck, I haven't even ridden much in the past couple of years either. Just been so busy with work. RRW, would you be around this evening for a phone call? I'm going to go to the Elks Club for a dinner tonight with Bill and the Grandpa at 6 but will be home around 730 if you'd be available. If not, will try maybe Friday. Tomorrow is the museums annual meeting, so will be busy with that. Hope all is well. Chat later. Have lots to do to prep for tomorrow. Take care.
  21. The Front Porch

LC sounds like Miss Lurkey Turkey wants an easy life. With Libby you are still processing what you want to do but seems like you are getting closer or have found the answer right for you. PD hubby & I met on a blind date. When people used to ask how I got into railroading I'd tell them I went on a blind date & got railroaded. Hubby is flabbergasted that I still tell that line after 27yrs. People get a kick out of it & well it is true.
  22. The Front Porch

A wild turkey hen has joined our flock. She showed up several weeks ago and blends in with our turkey flock (black and broad breasted). I couldn't figure out why I kept counting an extra turkey. We lost one awhile ago and I started doubting myself. I remembered putting the dead turkey out in the woods for scavengers. I even went back to make sure it didn't come back to life, lol! Nope. We had six; now it's seven. The little wild hen even got locked up in the coop at night with the others. She eats the feed out of the feeders and enjoys hanging around with the flock in the yard during the day. She has been with us for weeks now. I don't think she's going anywhere. I can get quite close to her. She watches me, but doesn't worry, since the other turkeys are so tame. Four of the six turkeys we had originally were destined for the table. My husband thought maybe we would add her to the list, but I told him we couldn't. She's a guest. You can't eat guests.
  23. The Front Porch

Libby can go into the round pen for turn out, but unless the others are in there with her, she gets upset. The round pen is right next to the big pasture, so I thought it would be close enough, but nope. Life is really stressful for her if the others are not in the stall/paddocks next to her. She is happy being out with me, for grooming, etc... but she trips a lot if we try to walk down the road. We can't ride her safely, at this point. Her life is very limited to a few safe places with her pony pals. Honestly, I think we getting to that time. Her quality of life is not what it used to be.
  24. The Front Porch

I think I get your train of thought, RRW. It really sounds like you have added all the bells and whistles to your place to make it nice. I hope you get enough time after work to let off steam.
  25. The Front Porch

RRW, Forgot you had such a sense of humor, sure liked that line went on a blind date & got railroaded. I can understand where you are proud of what you have built up, & knowledge gained & shared with others. But did you expect you would do it it in Spooner WI. ? Best Wishes, PD
  26. The Front Porch

PD you just gave me a good laugh. Planted with love.... Plants needed a home with dirt & that's what they got. Yesterday had a chat with customers saying how much of a busy beaver I had been. Just told them there are tasks to be done & weather permitting we hump it & get is done. They just laughed. To think my high school grad goal was to go to university for horticultural but I went on a blind date& got railroaded. If you are of spiritual thinking.... God really sent me down a different track. Love what we have built in those year to bring joy for people. Oh & Yes that was an intended pun.
  27. The Front Porch

Hi Spanish, Like your home, looks very open & roomy, something you will make into a real home. I remember meeting you once at MN. Horse Expo, years ago, the girl I remember, & turned into very good looking lady. Hope life continues to treat you well. LC, I wish you well with whatever decisions you make with Libby, None are easy ones, but between you & her you'll know when to make the right ones. Just know you'll be in my thoughts. RRW, Wish you well with flowers you planted, I'm sure they'll turn out great, as you lanted them with great love. DDK, Feel free to contact me if you have questions, & I will put you in contact with my lady friend. Best Wishes All,, PD L
  1. Load more activity