Quantcast

Photo

Just had a dressage clinic with Tom Noone :)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 *XoXcross_countryXoX*

*XoXcross_countryXoX*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 12:04 PM

hey guys ~
I don't usually post on this board but decided to since I just had a clinic with Tom Noone (a Grand Prix dressage rider) and it was SO helpful! Have any of you guys heard of him? I hadn't until the clinic lol but anyways...
I usually do eventing, so all my dressage lessons are with trainers who also jump, and I think it was so beneficial to finally get a lesson with someone who really only focuses on dressage.
Anyway, we started with w/t/c, getting Frog to loosen up and everything. Tom noticed that whenever I was asking for a transition down, I sat back a little bit (that's how I was always taught) but apparently that's not what you're supposed to do lol. He said to pinch a tiny bit with your upper leg and tilt your upper body slightly forward. It worked SO well. My horse usually gets on the forehand and running in down transitions because apparently when I sit back I was driving him forward. After that his transitions were so much smoother.
Next we worked on keeping Frog's neck down and out, lifting his back more (Frog will come round right away but after a while of it he starts this lazy, downhill, false frame type thing). Tom basically had me work on using my seat for everything I asked and using my leg as a reinforcement. So whenever I wanted Frog to reach out and keep a forward, swinging tempo at the medium walk, he would have me give little bumps with my lower leg and my seat would naturally drop more, so Frog came much rounder and really stepped under himself. i couldnt believe it was the same horse [Eek!]
Overall we just had Frog become extremely light to the aids and it was becoming more and more effortless as the lesson went on. I'm so proud of Frog lol!! [Yay]
So what are you guys up to?? Any clinics or shows coming up? What test are you riding??
TTYL,
Ally

#2 Tonka Flash

Tonka Flash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 12:45 PM

Congrats on a great, beneficial clinic! I haven't heard of him, but I only know of a few famous dressage trainers, mostly European. Did you get any pictures? I'm glad you had such a great experience! Maybe, you'll convert from a hunter princess to a dressage queen? [Wink] lol, well you event, so I suppose you can be both! Best of luck! [Smiley Wavey]

#3 *XoXcross_countryXoX*

*XoXcross_countryXoX*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 03:40 PM

lol thanks for replying [Smile]
Well there was someone I taking pictures at the clinic but I think it was someone just for fun auditing it. And there was a professional video person who video taped it and I think we'll buy it soo maybe I can get pics off of it later. [Wink]
hahaha i've never been a hunter princess or dressage queen...what's an eventer called? eventer queen or princess doesn't really work lol [Razz]

Thanks again!

*edit* because i forgot the last part sorry!

[ 06-18-2006, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: *XoXcross_countryXoX* ]

#4 HalfPassGal

HalfPassGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 04:55 PM

Tom Noone is my trainer's trainer. I've had a few rides with him, more now hopefully since he is coming to our barn. He is a wonderful trainer and I am glad you had a good ride with him.

#5 smithereens_86

smithereens_86

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:22 AM

Yes, of course I have heard of Tom Noone. He is one of the clinicians that my trainer would really like me to ride with, but the barn that brings him to this area on a regular basis always fills his clinics with their own riders then only invites outsiders to come audit. So, I have never had the opportunity to ride with him. He is on my list though!!

Glad to hear you had such a great experience. Sounds like a wonderful clinic.

~Shelly~

#6 iheartSpiderman

iheartSpiderman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:54 AM

Congrats on the awesome clinic! I actually almost went down to watch but i decided not to. Now i kind of wished I did!

#7 Tonka Flash

Tonka Flash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:08 PM

Hmm...yeah that is tricky, coming up with your own title as an eventer [Big Grin] Good luck, and I hope to see some pictures soon! [Smiley Wavey]