13 replies to this topic

#1 RolinRiver

RolinRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:55 PM

Hey guys! Well, A year or so ago I purchased my first dressage saddle, an Ainsley Rubens from Walsall, England. It's really nice, it fits me, but it doesn't fit my horse anymore. It's too narrow for him, and It would cost $600 to get the adjustable mechanism fixed and it's not worth paying that much. I need to sell my saddle and get a new one that fits my horse, which sucks because I HATE saddle shopping. It's such a pain in the butt.

I'm looking for reccomendations for a new saddle - brands and models that you like. I'm thinking about taking this one into a local tack shop to see how much I could get off of it on a trade-in, or I might try to sell it on eBay.

Here are some pictures of the saddle. Its hardly been used [when not in use, stored in my house], Buffalo leather and wool flocked, a 31cm tree, 2" cutback head, and a 17.5" seat. I plan on including the Ainsley leathers & irons. How much do you think it's worth? (Im having a hard time uploading the picture of the saddle, so i've included a close-up shot of it being ridden in)

-

-

#2 wiseacre

wiseacre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:03 AM

Albion/County
[Not Worthy] [Not Worthy] [Not Worthy]

#3 RolinRiver

RolinRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:57 PM

Thanks, Bump!

#4 Beckham03

Beckham03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:42 PM

Bates Innova or Isabell [Big Grin]

#5 3DayEventer

3DayEventer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:00 AM

Albion( i loveee mine) or Amerigo!

#6 shiloh04

shiloh04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:14 AM

whats your price range, and i assume you are looking for something used?

everyone is going to have a different opinion because saddles are so personal. my fav. saddle has foam panels, but is a $6k saddle new. my horse adores it, but becomes very sore in her back from a wool-flocked saddle. but most people would pass on foam panels for no reason other than "wool is best".

is that you riding in the pic?

#7 silverleprichuan

silverleprichuan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:32 AM

I love cliff barnsby, county, albion, and stubben

#8 eventingqueenx3

eventingqueenx3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:53 AM

Prsetige top dressage

#9 RolinRiver

RolinRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by shiloh04:
whats your price range, and i assume you are looking for something used?

everyone is going to have a different opinion because saddles are so personal. my fav. saddle has foam panels, but is a $6k saddle new. my horse adores it, but becomes very sore in her back from a wool-flocked saddle. but most people would pass on foam panels for no reason other than "wool is best".

is that you riding in the pic?

Im open to most price ranges, depending on how much I can get out of this saddle. That's my trainer riding him in the picture, I didn't have any up-close dressage shots of me and him that are close enough for anyone to see the saddle.

#10 Appaloosa1224

Appaloosa1224

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:15 PM

prestige

#11 shiloh04

shiloh04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:40 PM

i was going to say if thats you, you should look into an 18" for those long legs! your trainer looks to be built just like me.

im assuming your siggy relates to the hanno farm in lagrange (i think its lagrange anyway), so youre in my general area.

check prospect horse & rider. i was in there the other day, and they still have quite a few saddles left, all barnsby. the quality on the barnsby's is very nice, it just depends if they fit your pelvis. i had one for a while and unfortunately it did not, and it took me a long time to finally decide to sell it as i liked everything else about it.

KHS also has all their jeffries on sale, 50% off i think. good quality brand, but not popular here for dressage.

the county rep in our area doesnt know much if anything about saddle fit, IMO. i would avoid that mess. i have a friend who did a fitting with him and she and her horse disliked pretty much all of his recommendations. plus he was a PITA to get out, and was rude to her when he left.

i have a kieffer thats been sitting in my basement for months that i was about to put on ebay. its an 18, so may not fit. but if you want to try it to get an idea for the brand youre welcome to.

#12 RolinRiver

RolinRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:10 PM

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I know I'd love to get my hands on a Passier or a County, (or a Kieffer Shiloh - those are nice too!) and I've also had my eye on a Courbette Cresta. For some reason I just really like those! But I've gotta get rid of this darn saddle first before I can look at spending some big bucks.

#13 shiloh04

shiloh04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:13 PM

you have a PM about the kieffer. if the 17.5 fit you, this one may be too big as its an 18, but you can at least try it for size before it gets listed on ebay if youre in the area i think youre in, if youre interested.

#14 pnyxprss

pnyxprss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:50 PM

I have to say I am so happy I finally got my saddle to fit my horse today. I also got a huge lesson in saddle fitting and how it affects the horse and the rider. The only person who could get a saddle to fit my very assymetrical horse was Danny from DK saddlery. I had a few saddle fitters out to try but none of them could do it. They are very expensive but from what I can tell they are worth it. It has air pannels rather then wool. My horse loves this. He doesn't lift his head through the transitions with the air since he isn't being pinched. Anyway, they have a great website that tells you all about, www.dksaddlery.com The tree is completely adjustable and the saddle is built to fit you, which helps your position immensly.