• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 flight w/o wings

flight w/o wings

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 07:41 PM

Has or is anyone else converting their dressing rooms to living quarters?

We've been slowly working on ours and have come to a stumbling block w/ the cabinets.

Did you make the cabinets yourselves? Or buy them pre made and just cut them down and install them? I like the professional look of the pre-made ones but don't like the idea of the added weight. Hence, I like the idea of the lightweight panelling on the build yourself kind but am worried that it will look home made [Surrender]

Any opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

#2 trailhoss2

trailhoss2

Happy Trails

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 10:40 PM

yes, we did. There's some pics in my photo album, (listed as truck & trailer)the link is below in my signature line.

I built the cabnits myself. Hubby was out of the state working. I layed the floors which was really easy, they're laminated. I actually did most of the carpentry work myself and hubby did the instulation of the hot water heater, shower and electric/lights. I still have the cabnits over the bed to build and the one in the shower room. It's been a few years...I guess you could say i got side tracked [Big Grin]

[ 01-23-2006, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: trailhoss2 ]

#3 Dixie Belle

Dixie Belle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:49 PM

We just bought a 10' short wall shell to upgrade to full LQ. hubby wants to do it himself.

He has been sketching repeatedly, and has not yet come up with a final decision. Right now he is trying to decide what to do with the water tanks. As of last night, he had them under a couch/seating area.

We have a new catalogue from a camping supply company (RV's) so he is looking for some good ideas in there, too.

#4 BEARCAT

BEARCAT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:28 PM

Lots of helpful folks here:
http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/for...w.asp?forumid=2

[Smiley Wavey]

#5 cowgirlsandy

cowgirlsandy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:03 PM

My son and I totally redid the interior of his trailer. When it came to the cabinets, I ended up making them from scratch, since I wanted something that looked rustic.

Here are a couple of pictures to show how they turned out.
 -

-

#6 flight w/o wings

flight w/o wings

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:21 AM

Thanks for the inspiration guys! I am envious of your talents. AYour trailers and cabinets turned out beautiful!

BEARCAT... I spend an awful lot of time at that website, picking people's brains and going through all those pictures. Thanks for posting the link.

So far in our LQ we have the ceiling framed and insulated, the walls are framed and the floor is in. Next step is to figure out the cabinets and then install all the appliances (hot h20 heater, furnance, water pumps, etc). I'm at the point now that I just want it done!!!

#7 TexJer

TexJer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:38 AM

OK.......here's a question. After going a couple of times to the Ft Worth Stockshow and seeing a couple of $100,000+ trailers I'm curious about something.......

A friend is looking at buying a fully finished and furnished 38 ft travel trailer for a bit over $40,000.

This travel trailer is as long, if not longer than either of the high dollar horse trailers. It is "finished out" from one end to the other. The horse trailers only have maybe 1/3 to 1/2 finished out, yet they cost so much more. Why is this?? The only thing I can think of is due to the fact a travel trailer only gets pulled a few times each year where a horse trailer is prone to thousands of miles perhaps in a year, so it is actually constructed better. Of course both of the high end trailers I looked at (just looking, thank you very much) were all aluminum and I know that raises the price vs. steel, but geesh.....more for a horse trailer than I paid for my 3-2-2 (small) brick home on 1/4 acre lot?!?! I need to remind myself to buy lotto tickets I reckon!!

Just something I've been wondering about........

Cowgirlsandy: I do some woodworking myself and was in awe of the cabinets you made for your trailer! In fact.......it gave me an idea of maybe how I want to do some in my old house on the farm. I really like that look, and looks like "yew dun gu'ud" as we say here in Texas!!

Jer

#8 Padruig

Padruig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:50 PM

TexJer, I think that the difference in cost is two fold. One is the market i.e. who's buying. And the other is strutural. If you get a chance crawl under, around and throroughly through an RV style trailer and then do the same with a LQ horse trailer. Big difference. They build RV trailers as light as possible but with horse trailers the higher concern is strength and safety for the horses.

#9 TexJer

TexJer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:04 PM

Padruig:

Yes, I was thinking it had to be the structural aspect. Like I said, most travel trailers get pulled a few times each year, where a horse trailer could be pulled thousands of miles.

I also have to think it's partly market too, AND these 2 trailers I looked at were definitely HIGH END models. Heck, I don't even have a flat screen plasma TV or laminate flooring in my home!! LOL!!

Thanks for the reply,

Jer

#10 SERobins

SERobins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:31 PM

I know someone who actually converted the front half of a stock trailer into living quarters!

#11 Debi Z

Debi Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SERobins:
I know someone who actually converted the front half of a stock trailer into living quarters!

That's what I'm thinking of doing. I prefer a gooseneck stock to anything else, and have yet to see one w/living quarters.

#12 flight w/o wings

flight w/o wings

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:06 PM

I don't know why you couldn't put a LQ in a GN stock. I would recommend placing a wall between the horse area and sleeping area. Other than that, it should be the same as adding an LQ in the non stock trailer.

#13 trailhoss2

trailhoss2

Happy Trails

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:01 AM

ours is a gooseneck stock and we made LQ in the front. The pics are under "truck & trailer" in my photo labums...link below. It's nothing fancy but it works. All we do inside is sleep and shower our main living area is outside the camper under the awning. That's where we have our cookbox and picnic table and all. If I was to do it all over I woudl probably consider a bench inside for sitting but really when camping we spend all our time outside other than sleeping.

#14 Debi Z

Debi Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:38 AM

Very nice! I liked your towel holder! One thing that I like about doing my own LQ, is that Iwould get to pick what I want for wood, curtains, etc.

#15 Padruig

Padruig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:08 AM

I had a LQ in the front of my stock trailer. Had to take it out because the previous owner didn't seal it up well enough and it molded behind all the wood. I'm planning on redoing it this summer if funds are available.