• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 CathyJ

CathyJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:48 AM

I live in southern Illinois and ride in Shawnee National Forest. The ticks are numerous this time of year. My horses get covered not only from riding the trails, but from grazing in the pasture also. Does anyone have a good solution for keeping the ticks at bay? Should I try the spot-on treatments? I'm going to Missouri (Big Piney) in May and the ticks are even worse there. I usually take a tube of wormer and give it to my horse about the second day on the week-long Missouri ride. It keeps the ticks off most of the week at the ride. But I'm looking for a better solution. Sprays don't work because we cross the river so often and the spray washes off.

#2 LoudAppy

LoudAppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:16 AM

Cathy, when you find something, let me know! I live in Missouri, and the only thing I've got that gets rid of the ticks is a 10 year old daughter. She'll stand there and pick ticks off the horses for hours!
~Deb

#3 Beverly R

Beverly R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:53 AM

I have had good luck keeping ticks off myself and the horses with Skin So Soft bath oil. Not the diluted stuff in the sprays, but the bath oil in a big bottle.
I pour a generous amount on a washrag and rub it on from hoof to knee, going against the grain of the hair.
Being an oil, it stays on better even through water crossings.
I also carry the oil soaked rag in a ziplock in my saddlebag to reapply during the ride.

On myself, I cover my arms, neck and shoulders, around my waist and my legs from toes to knees. I haven't had a tick in two years, so either the stuff works or they just don't like the way I smell! [Big Grin]

The SSS bath oil can be ordered from any Avon rep. I think it is around $16 for the big bottle.

One warning: Once you open the bottle, keep it in a ziplock bag. When turned over, the bottle has a tendency to leak.

RIDE ON!

#4 Claudia

Claudia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 289 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:11 AM

IMO- the spot on's work great!!
I use Fly Rid I think-- from Country Supply.
in the 5 years or so that I have used it - I haven't pulled a tick off any of our horses.

You use it every two weeks - and it takes a little to get into their system-

We live in Southern Indiana- and ride Shawnee too.

#5 rural_rider

rural_rider

***Still Learning***

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:49 AM

The ticks here in N. Ala are terrible already this yr. Usually around July they start getting bad but they started appearing in March! I've found any Permethrin concentrate works great. I use a 10% concentrate & don't dilute it, just pour some on an old sock & rub all over the horse. Even inside the ears. Generally I apply it once a week. It also works great for "no see 'ems". My Tn Walker had rubbed his tail & mane nearly comlpetely off the first yr I had him. I started using permethrin on him & now his tail almost reaches the ground & has a long flowing mane. The only draw back is it is oily & does sometimes attract dust.

#6 KG

KG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:05 AM

I live in northern Michigan and found my first tick!! We never had them before. Thanks for the advice. I have a feeling things are changing [Eek!]

#7 eeyore4176

eeyore4176

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:14 PM

We use a Skin-So-Soft mix and haven't had a tick (knock on wood) yet on any of the horses. We live in the woods and ride at some trails where they are pretty common. I put 1 big bottle of SSS in a gallon container. Next I add apple cider vinegar to that SSS empty bottle to get the same amount, then add that to the gallon container. I also have a permetherine concentrate that I add a small amount of. Then I fill the rest of the gallon with water and shake it to mix. I fill my spray bottles from that. We have an uncle who makes a similar mix, but he puts dawn dish soap in his instead of the permetherine.

We also ride with Bounce dryer sheets. I have one up between the ears on the headstall, one on each side of the saddle and one in my back pocket.

#8 Beverly R

Beverly R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:35 PM

Ditto on the dryer sheets!
In addition to the locations already given, I also like to tie them into the little D-rings on the girth strap under the horse. They help repel those pesky flies that like to hover under the horses' bellies while you're riding.

Grr...I HATE THOSE THINGS!!!

RIDE ON!

#9 Crazy trail adventurer

Crazy trail adventurer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  • Location:Ventura Ca where great mountain trails meet great beach riding

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:04 PM

I agree with the Skin so Soft mix. But I create my own witches brew: 1/2 Skin so Soft, a few pours of concentrate fly spray, a 1/2 small bottle of pure Tea Tree oil and water. Shake well and spray on. Lasts and works on ticks, flies, and any other bugs that irritate the snoggers out of you. I use the SSS on me too.. oh and my pup..love that stuff!

#10 eeyore4176

eeyore4176

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:27 PM

Beverly, I never thougth to put the dryer sheets under the horse. Thanks for the suggestion!!

#11 Crazy trail adventurer

Crazy trail adventurer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  • Location:Ventura Ca where great mountain trails meet great beach riding

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:41 PM

Someone once told me the dryer sheets can cause a reaction...but I've heard about them before, now I am curious.

#12 CathyJ

CathyJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 357 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them and let you know after my Missouri trip.
Cathy

#13 griffsmom

griffsmom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:54 AM

I asked the same question on another board, and was surprised to learn that you can also use Frontline spray, not the pour on, for horses too. I will be getting a bottle of that. We are in heavily wooded area with tons of oaks and have already been finding a ton of ticks on both dogs and my horse Max.

#14 goldpiper

goldpiper

Cowgirl Up

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,733 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:13 PM

The spot-ons work great for ticks.

#15 noip1963

noip1963

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:32 AM

I've never heard of a dryer sheet between the ears.

What does that do?

Do you soak it with something?

Is it a new sheet or one that's been used?

#16 possum7168

possum7168

Crush's Mom!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:34 PM

For spot on I hear the SSS works great!! Now for the pasture at your home, get some guinne hens(sp?) and let them loose on your property, they are great for ticks!! They love to eat them!!

#17 CathyJ

CathyJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:58 PM

I had some guinne hens(sp?) once, they lasted about 5 days, apparently something higher up in the food chain liked to eat THEM!

Are you saying to pour SSS on just like the spot-on treatment? Like from the withers down the back to the base of the tail?