8 replies to this topic

#1 BEARCAT

BEARCAT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:52 PM

The traces (is that what they are called?) on my harness have notches, but the singletree on my cart has no hook to attach them...
This is the kind of singletree I have (middle of page)
http://www.horsecart.com/options.html

Am I supposed to replace that little leather lace at the end with a metal hook?

#2 hells22angel

hells22angel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 495 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:59 PM

put the trace holes onto swingle tree with leather straps attached to tree up, then simply play the straps back in hole to hold trace on. hope you understand that.

#3 Remmie

Remmie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:10 AM

Here's the same explanation, different words.

Wiggle the ends of the swingletree through the holes/notches in the traces. Get the traces past the holes in the swingletree. Then put the leather laces through the holes in the swingletree. The leather laces will stop the traces from coming back over the ends of the swingletree and falling off. This is a common way to attach.

When the traces are new and the notches/holes are tight, it may take some effort/grunting/huffing/puffing/whining before you get them over the swingletree ends.

Tip: Buy an extra pair of leather laces because (if you are anything like me and my friends) you are going to lose those pieces of leather repeatedly. That's why I prefer the hooks. [Big Grin]

I just realized that this must mean you got a cart and harness for your birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

[ 10-19-2005, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: Remmie ]

#4 BEARCAT

BEARCAT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:31 AM

thanks! That makes sense... I'll have to see if they fit!!

And Remmie, thanks a bunch!!!! My birthday is actually tomorrow, but I did put the cart together and have been practicing with Gimme...
I'm sure people driving by were having a good laugh [Big Grin]
...Picture this: my hubby pulling the cart with me sitting in it and the pony following behind us!!!! [Big Grin]
I did get him in the shafts (with just a halter - no harness and not attached) and we walked him all around (with us holding the shafts)... He made a big leap forward when the cart hit his butt at one point, so we did a bit of sacking out and tried it again... Over all, he did very well...
I think he'll be a great lil'cart pony!!
Oh, and I've had the harness since last year... it still needs some adjustments... Gimme is kinda hard to fit - too big for mini, but kinda small for pony size stuff... [Confused]

#5 Remmie

Remmie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:45 AM

I can relate to the size thing totally. Slim Shady is tall. You could maybe get him to be 38" (mini limit) if you shave his coat, leave some low hair, trim his feet short and stretch him. Actually, that suits me because I prefer the taller. I am fortunate that he is not built like a quarter horse.

Mini harness fits around him (actually the smaller mini has a bigger girth than Slim does). But, Slim is too long in body for the mini tugs and really is too long for mini cart shafts. I have to have three different carts for the three different size driving beasts. Large pony size, small pony size and mini. What a pain. My hubby goes nuts about where to store them all.

If you find that you are needing some slightly bigger harness "parts" let me know. I have accumulated some different size extra parts like harness girths, bridles, etc.

#6 BEARCAT

BEARCAT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:40 AM

Thanks!
I know his crupper strap is too big... have to find someone that does leather work to fix it... Surcingle fits great, so that's good...
For the cart, I got a mini cart with longer shafts and bigger wheels... seems to fit great! [Smile]

#7 Remmie

Remmie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:09 PM

Is the cart in the earlier link the one you bought/got for your birthday?
Can't wait to see pics of him in his getup.

#8 BEARCAT

BEARCAT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:15 PM

This is the cart I got, with 24 inch wheels and 52 inch shafts: [Smile]
 -

#9 Remmie

Remmie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 04:49 PM

That is really nice. Get that pony hooked up. Forget the training. You've done enough. (Just kidding) We need pics!!!

I would never drive anything with smaller wheels that those. I can never understand putting a little guy to a cart with litty bitty wheels.