22 replies to this topic

#1 tuper

tuper

Mustang Mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,928 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:31 PM

Ok, So we've had a TON of HC fillies born here lately! Seemed like last year there was a bunch of colts.

Who has actually had a colt here this year? Luvallbreed's mule is the only one I can think of off the top of my head!

I want a colt! [Yay]

#2 amyhorsegirlpnh

amyhorsegirlpnh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:01 PM

I actually have a list going....
so far I have;
Red - colt
Skye - colt
Fantasy- colt/john
Diamond - colt
a Belgian mare - dont have her name - colt
a paint mare - dont have her name - colt
a mini mare - dont have her name - colt
and about 10 fillies.....

yes ...we need colts now!!

#3 tuper

tuper

Mustang Mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,928 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:08 PM

Wow, there are more colts than I remembered for sure! I guess maybe I was wishful thinking. [Wink] (Figuring that if all the babies were fillies, mine would HAVE to be a colt! [Wink] )

So here's another question. Why do some people want one over the other?

I want a colt because I want a nice little gelding. I will definitely take a filly, but I was hoping to avoid the temptation of wanting to possibly breed her 10+ years down the road if she's anything near as nice as her mama. Isn't that silly? Hahahaha!

#4 tockita

tockita

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:13 PM

LOL Tuper I am hoping for fillies all the way around!
I have mostly girls and our one gelding is an *** and a half to everyone but Symphony. We still love him, and so does Symphony but don;t need anything with testicles even if they come off they are still stinking boys with cooties lol

#5 silverdreamer3

silverdreamer3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:23 PM

Rosie had a colt [Smiley Wavey]

#6 amyhorsegirlpnh

amyhorsegirlpnh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

I am still undecided either way. I want a filly because I dont want to have to geld and clean another sheath [Embarrassed]
But I like colts because they are rowdy and silly. Well, fillies are too... [Wink]

But I have 3 geldings now and 3 mares... so I guess it could go either way for me... [Confused] [Question]

#7 rudebabe23

rudebabe23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:15 PM

I have had two colts so far and still have two mares to foal yet.

#8 Goldiebabe

Goldiebabe

Daydreaming about horses

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:49 PM

The sire of the foal my new girl is having has mostly produced fillies if I remember correctly. But Sugar (mare) has had one colt and one filly so far.

I will be happy with either gender as long as it is healthy, but in a way I want a colt because I wouldn't mind having another great gelding in my life. [Wink] But I do love my mares and three mares would probably do well together, too, so either way I am happy! I am just used to having two of one gender and one of the other gender. [Razz]

It sure does seem like a filly year so far!

#9 mustangjumper

mustangjumper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:54 PM

I'm hoping the filly trend keeps going until Merry foals! I REALLY WANT A FILLY! I'm dealing with a stud colt that hasn't dropped yet but comeing into his hormones [Bang Head] and I really don't want to have to go through this again with another colt!

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:05 AM

My mini mare had a filly this year, i REALLY wanted a colt, becuase i have the sire, and not enough corrals and fields to keep then seperate for the rest of their lives...

but i definatly looks like a filly year... but i hope you ghet what you want, and it is HEALTHY!!! (which to me is all that matters!)

#11 horse_gal_jen

horse_gal_jen

horse_gal_jen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:13 PM

my mare Phoebe had a colt yesterday!

#12 LuckE1

LuckE1

One Crow Murder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:51 PM

My mare had a colt March 11th
 -

#13 luvallbreeds

luvallbreeds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:17 PM

I really wanted to a filly. I must admit at present we have 2 geldings on the property a mini', Cooper and a 2 yr old, Chips and they do entertain [Big Grin] . They play and ruff house all day (they are seperated at night). I had to doctor Chips yesterday because Cooper got the better of him in a battle when biting him under the jaw and broke the skin. My fillies don't play much and are pretty lazy. They may chase Cooper for all of 2 min. and they are bored. It is just a much more laid back no nonsense herd with no boys. No need to keep anyone seperate just a bunch of girls and old ladies hanging out. With the exception of Cooper and he does not count at least in their minds....LOL.
Not that I have not met some wonderful geldings one that stayed until his passing, I have and some crazy mares I have sent packing, I have. I just prefer the fillies and the old ladies.

#14 Zeusyboy

Zeusyboy

Life Is Better At A Gallop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,254 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:01 PM

Well...I have 2 geldings right now, and a filly that I want to sell.

I dont particularily have a preference. I dont mind a nice mare That i could breed later on.. but I still like my geldings.
No moodswings, no studdyness... Just level headed geldings.

And LuckE1... that colt is GORGEOUS..did we miss a foal watch??

[Smiley Wavey]
Ash..

#15 shiloh04

shiloh04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:42 AM

I wanted, and got, a filly because she is 1/2 Lusitano, which is a breed I just love and is pretty rare in the US still. There is no way I could ever afford a purebred at $20k for a weanling. My hope is to someday breed miss Annie to a Lusitano for a 3/4 Luso. Of course, I am very picky so first I will have to find another one with gaits that I like but who is not grey. I don't want to deal with the melanoma issue on a grey.

I have time though. Luso stallions are being imported more regularly now, so in 5 or so years surely I will find one.

#16 amyhorsegirlpnh

amyhorsegirlpnh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:48 AM

I am drooling over that handsome colt....

I really havent decided what exactly I want Daisy to have... just hoping its healthy.

Question? If you could know what your mare is having before its born would you want to know? and not just sex, but color too?

In a way I would, but I like the element of surprise. Since I dont plan on breeding horses it really isnt that important for me to know.If I have another foal it will be inder the same conditions as my getting Daisy.

#17 LuckE1

LuckE1

One Crow Murder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

Thanks [Big Grin]
Zeusyboy nope, you didnt miss the foal watch. I didn't have one because the mare and foal are at a friends place in another state. I am only up there once or twice a month so getting pictures is difficult.
I bought the mare because her owner had fallen on hard times and could not afford to feed her horses... Plan was to get her healthy and then find her a home. I found out after I bought her that she was bred. I was promised that the breeding report would be done... of course that did not happen. I tried to contact them when she foaled and found their phone numbers were no longer in service. So I tracked down a new phone number, called to ask about the breeding report and got cussed out and hung up on.
I haven't given up on getting him registered, we would really like to show him.

#18 tockita

tockita

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:16 AM

Ours are done! We got

COLT
Dun colt from Hayden

FILLY
Dun paint filly from Symphony
Sorrel paint filly from Delite (Mouse)

We LOVE our Stangs!
Symphony Solstice ~ Valentine Gesture ~ Winsome Rose ~ Simply Serene ~ Kiss That Spot

our Domestics
Foundation's Delite ~ Bond To Be Smart ~ Bond To Be Wild

and our Ponies
Cindy Babe WJW ~ Forte Mountania ~ Dyna

#19 rudebabe23

rudebabe23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:49 AM

We had 9 Colts this year and One filly. Lots of cutting to do this year lol.
Proud Owner Of:
11 Year Old Paint Stallion
13 Year old Paint Brood Mare
4 Year Old Quarter horse Brood Mare
3 Year old Paint Filly, Futurity Winner (WTG Emma on First place)
3 Year Old Breeding Stock Paint, Mare (WTG placing 4th at Paint futurity, and standning 4th at World)
Yearling Paint Filly (WTG on placing 4th at paint futurity)
Yearling breeding Stock Paint Filly (WTG on placing 9th at the Paint futurity) has been sold
5 Year Old Paint Gelding (WTG on placing at the futurities and open shows). has been sold
13 Year Old Breeding Stock Paint Mare (WTG on 327 Points in, Halter, and Walk Trot Classes)
3 Year old Quarter Horse gelding, currently standing 5th in world.
4 year old Black and white mini, WTG Lucky on making it to the Hall of Fame.

#20 MareKrazed

MareKrazed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:18 PM

My mare also had a colt. As did the two other mares at my barn who were bred.

I wanted a filly; but I love my colt now that he's here. Mostly I'm just glad that his Mom survived and they are both healty and happy now.

#21 jackie2925

jackie2925

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:39 PM

We were hoping for a filly and thats what we got jump.gif

The last 2 times that we gelded something it was between $400-$700.
Horseless

#22 Goldiebabe

Goldiebabe

Daydreaming about horses

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:34 PM

Serenity had a gorgeous, healthy sorrel solid Paint filly with lots of chrome on May 30th. I'm tickled all over by "Remedy" and she's all I ever wanted and more. I didn't care what gender she was, but personality was something I really cared about. Well, she's got an awesome personality and also is well built and a nice mover. She's going to make me one heck of a cow horse!

I also have two other 2008 fillies I rescued from a feedlot early this month. So I have FIVE mares/fillies at my place. No geldings, colts, or stallions. Haha.

---*Lexi*---
Proud mom to Connor, born 8/23/09! Surrogate twin girls "A" and "M" born 2/21/13!
Furbabies: Ash, Phoebe,Taj, and Schrodinger (cats) and Sampson (Holland Lop bunny)
Reptiles: Winky (Leopard gecko) and Kenyan Sand Boa (working on name). 

I met: Paintluvr, Jess*N*Bodie*, Tuckit, Tuckaway, Pride's Zippin Candy, GiddyUpHighly, elfinbien, nycowboy19, qhchick0220, BornConfused, JenniferLVAQHA, Halo's mom, Running_Free, illinois racer, Dragon, KuroReiAnge, and Rollin_after_a_bath, redneckcowgirlmn, and robertbel1! Who's next?!

#23 rudebabe23

rudebabe23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (jackie2925 @ Jul 28 2008, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We were hoping for a filly and thats what we got jump.gif

The last 2 times that we gelded something it was between $400-$700.

Wow 400 and 700, that is nuts lol. Here it runs between 50 and 100 depending on how big the colt it.
Proud Owner Of:
11 Year Old Paint Stallion
13 Year old Paint Brood Mare
4 Year Old Quarter horse Brood Mare
3 Year old Paint Filly, Futurity Winner (WTG Emma on First place)
3 Year Old Breeding Stock Paint, Mare (WTG placing 4th at Paint futurity, and standning 4th at World)
Yearling Paint Filly (WTG on placing 4th at paint futurity)
Yearling breeding Stock Paint Filly (WTG on placing 9th at the Paint futurity) has been sold
5 Year Old Paint Gelding (WTG on placing at the futurities and open shows). has been sold
13 Year Old Breeding Stock Paint Mare (WTG on 327 Points in, Halter, and Walk Trot Classes)
3 Year old Quarter Horse gelding, currently standing 5th in world.
4 year old Black and white mini, WTG Lucky on making it to the Hall of Fame.