• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 StreakHopeNRayBan

StreakHopeNRayBan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:57 PM

I'm thinking about giving my VERY high-strung barrel horse ace to calm him down. I was wondering if there are any risks when you give it to them, and will it take the run out of him? Thats what I want to do because he's scary at rodeos. I was also planning on heading on him (hes a finished head horse) and doing goat tying on him, but i'm afriad he'll run off with me.. its not fun stepping off a runaway horse, its happened before and.... well.... I wiped out. [Crazy] lol. Also, is there anything else out there that works good? [Question] I've tried daily calm powders in the feed and paste before i run but it doesn't seem to help.

#2 BarTPolly

BarTPolly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:15 PM

I dont think ace really should be used. However, I have used it on a mare that when you rode her on barrels, if she did anything wrong and you tried to correct her she would freak out. So I decided to ace her to help her focus more, the mare still ran the same, it just helped take the edge off. It wasn't bad the first or second time, but I found that I kept having to ace her to run her. In the end, I wish I would have never gave her the ace, and would have taken the time to work with her with out using drugs.. Hope that helps.

#3 StreakHopeNRayBan

StreakHopeNRayBan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:42 PM

Well, I've had this horse for 3 years and have been trying to work it out... he's come a long way but he'll never be calm. He still prances everywhere and it drives me crazy!

#4 Dixiegurl02

Dixiegurl02

• Members
  • Pip
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:09 PM

Don't give ace to boy horses. Studs or geldings. Some people do but it is so not smart.

#5 cowgirlup73

cowgirlup73

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:47 AM

I use Keep Cool by Silver Lining, all herbal and it's done wonders for my gelding. I use Moody Mare for the heat cycles and calmness for my mare.

There are some nice herbal producst on the market.

#6 urbancowgurl

urbancowgurl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:42 PM

There are a few ppl up here who "ace" their horses prior to a run. I honestly feel if you have to dope your horse to run him, he shouldnt be running. But thats JMO

#7 Turn&Burn_Girl

Turn&Burn_Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:39 PM

in my opinion I horse shouldent be calmed down with food, he needs to be calmed down mentally. You should take him on trail rides and walk him, let him know there's more to life than RUNNING!!! [Big Grin]

#8 dypso5637

dypso5637

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:45 PM

i agree the first rodeo i braught my horse to i had to ace him just because he was becoming dangerous, he was rearing and almost landed on a stroller, even when he was tied to the trailer, i had no idea he would act like this, so i took him home and just trail rode him all over and now not even 2 months later he is perefect. its amazing what lots of slow work will do.

#9 dypso5637

dypso5637

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:46 PM

why is ace bad for geldings and studs but ok for mares, what does it do? i have never heard this before?

#10 Dixiegurl02

Dixiegurl02

• Members
  • Pip
  • 290 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:13 PM

Ace can cause permanent penial peralysis in males. You have 2 options once it happens, amputate or euthanize. I've seen it happen (worked at vets and sale barns) it isn't pretty, what's worse is when they try to not treat it. Painful death. It is rare but it DOES happen.

#11 dypso5637

dypso5637

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:23 PM

WOW thats scary never knew that before, thanks!

#12 canchaser3113

canchaser3113

• Members
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:29 PM

I've never heard of giving boy horses ace causing problems. i know a lot of people who ace their horses without problems. But **** happens.

I'm really not a fan of having to drug a horse to calm them down. But sometimes it's necessary. I would try an herbal supplement.

My mare gets a little goofy when we go to town and I'm thinking about trying something. She's not bad, just annoying. I don't have an arena at home so all I do is trail ride and she still gets goofy.

#13 XXGUNSMOKEXX

XXGUNSMOKEXX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:56 PM

I would not ace him, maybe work on getting him to relax first,

#14 Turn_N_Burn88

Turn_N_Burn88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:59 PM

Last year i used ace on my horse... because he was SUPER hot at that rodeo... (i mean he is hot anyways) but at that particular rodeo he was a crazy man... and all it did was make him freak out worse... I don't know what happened, but he went CRAZY and all i did was give him 2cc of ace in the muscle... and i did it with plenty of time before i ran... so I'm not convinced it is a great idea... lol

#15 map77

map77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:15 PM

I've never aced but a good friend does (her gelding). She swears by it--she says that just immediately prior to a run she only puts just a tiny tiny bit of ace on the tip of his tongue. I don't know if this is really enough to even affect the horse (he is a male horse, by the way! I'll pass on to her what was said here about the paralysis!) Maybe it's just the psychological boost that gives her the confidence to win a lot.
[Duh]

[ 09-13-2006, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: map77 ]

#16 TurnNburncowgirl

TurnNburncowgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:14 PM

I have personally never used ace. But I have a friend who bought a horse that was futuritied on. The previous owner's who futuritied the horse would always jerk on the horses mouth around the barrels...and I mean JERK..When my friend bought this horse, he literally REFUSED to go in the arena because he THOUGHT he was gonna get jerked on around barrels. He had chiropractic work done, teeth, massage, etc, etc. Everything was perfect for him. So they aced him for awhile to go into the arena and all they did was slow work. Slow work, more slow work, and more slow work. She aced him enough to get him into the arena and LEARN that when he got worked on the barrel pattern that he wasn't gonna get jerked around. Now about a year later, she doesn't have to ace him anymore, and she's running bottom 1D/top 2D times.

So Ace could be good if used right but I would do lots of slow work, so the horse knows that he doesn't have to go, go, go. I don't like how people just ace their horses to go run. That doesn't teach them much of anything.

That's just my opinion though.

#17 cowgurl_up

cowgurl_up

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,003 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:28 PM

im not quite sure what ace is but your horse reminds me of my arab/qh gamer. hyper, prances all the time! ugh talk about a pain in the ***!!

but lately at shows ive had him on atravet powder. its a white powder that you give them in their grain and it takes off the edge and calms them a bit. trust me they still run the same. actually we ran a faster pattern because i wasnt fighting him! good lucl [Big Grin]

#18 brandy7772

brandy7772

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:37 PM

Ace is not a good choice. With ace you can have 2 reactions. If the horse is already high and tense it can just make the situation worse. If he is slightly relaxed then it will come to the desired affect.

I would use thorazine instead of ace. It is actually used to calm the horse. Some people depend on it.

JMO

#19 THROWIN_DIRT

THROWIN_DIRT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:42 PM

I would suggest not using ace. Either try to lunge him before u ride him , or maybe try some of the other stuff people have said. Do u ride him every day? Maybe u should atleast lunge him? Im not sure never had that problem before but all my barrel horses prance and jump cause they wanna run thats what we have trained them to do. Well hope u find a solution.

#20 nycowboy17

nycowboy17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:06 PM

i agree with a few people here that if your horse is that bad, then you shouldn't be riding it. if you do have 2 drug your horse then i would use quietex. it is all natural and wont ahve much in the way of side effects, as for using ace on male horses, i don't really believe that it will cause paralysis. i think any sedative would do that if you gave too much but my vet uses ace when he has 2 clean horse's sheaths and he has never had a problem.

#21 wallygator

wallygator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:38 PM

try mare magic, i heard that that can calm geldings down. good luck.

#22 barrelracersmom

barrelracersmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:49 PM

Keep Cool works great! I've got a hot paint gelding that gets the herbs. Also, if you were to give this type of horse ace, after he's had a chance to get a little nervous, it can get a whole lot worse. The herbs, all natural, have been the best way to go for my horse and a whole lot of people swear by them.

#23 StreakHopeNRayBan

StreakHopeNRayBan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:51 PM

I ride him everyday and all I do is slow work, walking the pattern, and pasture ride him. He has calmed down ALOT, when I got him he didn't know how to walk or trot, but now he does everything fine at home. The girl I got him from was REALLY hard on him. She would "wake hime up" by whipping him before she ran, and run him hard to the barrels and jerk on him to get him to turn. He was a wreck! [Crazy] I counldn't get him to turn the third for a long time, now he is running 2D times at big barrel races! At the rodeos, before I run he must think I'm going to jerk on him or whip him because he goes crazy, won't stand still, prances everywhere. I've been giving him 2cc of fluphenazine in the muscle every month, it helps him think. Also, the girl i got him from's dad headed off of him and he is a good head horse but they did too much on him and blew him up for roping. Is there anything I can give him to help him relax and learn thats its not scary?

#24 barrelracersmom

barrelracersmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:11 PM

The long term effects of using these chemicals on the horse's health are what concern me. I'll send you a PM!

#25 CYN

CYN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:25 PM

I have a horse that gets a bit hot before events, I'm no Pro..all I do is playdays for fun. I use to have to be helped in the arena and she had reared up on me. [Crazy] [Crazy]

This year I have spent more time on her at home. The other thing I have done is time only on her...makes her realize that I am the boss. She can only go when I tell her.

Sometimes I will run her and then I will do a time only on her. She dosen't know what to expect.

I found it to be very rewarding. [Yay] [Yay]

By the way I have used Quietease...it mad her mad Pxxxed her off and I also tried Mare Care, it worked...but I would forget to give it to her. Found out time on her was best.

Best of luck to you [Smile]

[ 09-14-2006, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: CYN ]

#26 MightySinsation

MightySinsation

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Turn_N_Burn88:
Last year i used ace on my horse... because he was SUPER hot at that rodeo... (i mean he is hot anyways) but at that particular rodeo he was a crazy man... and all it did was make him freak out worse... I don't know what happened, but he went CRAZY and all i did was give him 2cc of ace in the muscle... and i did it with plenty of time before i ran... so I'm not convinced it is a great idea... lol

You don't ace a horse when they're already hot and tense
[Duh] It makes them even hotter then.

I mean, I personally don't think you should have to 'drug' a horse to run him. But I would at least learn how to properly use the drug before hand

#27 dodgershuman

dodgershuman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:49 AM

If you can't handle him, get a different horse. Do NOT drug your horse because you want to go prance around an arena. It sounds like your riding too much horse for your level. Drugging them is never the answer.

I always tell my lesson kids that: "That horse was born perfect. It's US we have to work on."

And that is exactly what you are going to have to do. You have Cowgirl UP, bring yourself up to his level, and play the game right. Or bail out, find him someone who will, and get yourself something your ready to handle.

#28 WI Cowgirl

WI Cowgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 269 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:10 AM

I have a few questions for you.

When you say he prances everywhere is this before a run, after a run, or all the time?

You made a comment about him runoff too didn't you? (That could of been someone else too)

How often to you run him?

For now all I can say is try taking him to rodeos and even playdays just to go hang out. Don't run him if he gets that up tight when you plan on it.Put him in hight pressure situatuions.

#29 StreakHopeNRayBan

StreakHopeNRayBan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dodgershuman:
If you can't handle him, get a different horse. Do NOT drug your horse because you want to go prance around an arena. It sounds like your riding too much horse for your level. Drugging them is never the answer.

I always tell my lesson kids that: "That horse was born perfect. It's US we have to work on."

And that is exactly what you are going to have to do. You have Cowgirl UP, bring yourself up to his level, and play the game right. Or bail out, find him someone who will, and get yourself something your ready to handle.

I have been riding horses ever since I can remember. I am not a horse trainer, but I think I know how to handle him. I have got this horse running the best he has ever ran in his life. All I have gotten is compliments on how well I handle him. He was born a perfect horse, but he never got the chance to be one. Read my most recent post about him. I was NOT planning on running barrels on him while he was aced, Iwant head off of him but he is so hot, I don't want him to hurt himself, me, ar anyone else.
Here is a pic of him so you can see I am not a novice.  -

He makes about four runs a month, sometimes 2 runs. Every 2 months I give him 2 weeks off to keep him fresh. The lady that trains my horses and helps me with my riding is the one who suggested Fluphenazine. It has helped his mind alot.

#30 barrelracersmom

barrelracersmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:54 PM

Awesome picture! Its obvious you care alot to take the time with this horse. He is learning to trust you and you'll no doubt have a great bond with him!