20 replies to this topic

#1 Pep's_Gone_Wild09

Pep's_Gone_Wild09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:26 AM

I went to a MRCA rodeo yesterday and the girl I competed with horse didn't want to go in. So her dad carried a big whip and started whipping the horse. Now that girl goes threw ALOT of horses and I wonder why. The girl is a great person and I've grown up around her but man I really made me loose my respect for her and her father when they did that. If I even did that to Pepper everytime she refused I would most certainly never get in. I think its horrible and it makes me sick seeing this horse who in the end will probaly be ruined.

#2 mo_cowgirl03

mo_cowgirl03

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:45 AM

I see this all time it is very common is the barrel racing world. People run their horses every weekend and some during the week and horses will start to refuse that is way it is always good to take your horse in the arena walk him around and let him relax so he know everytime he goes in there he isn't going to have to work and if you plan on running a ton of barrels you best having two horses so you can switch on and off so you don't ruin an awesome horse.

#3 tgilly

tgilly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:52 AM

that is just horrible! i can't stand people like that. you might want to offer some advice on how she can get her horse in the arena, like slow work or something. they might just think it is the only way to get the horse in. i can understand your feelings.

i have seen people that when they mess up a pattern, usually rider error by the way, they get out of the arena and a little bit away from it, then they start whipping their horse in the head. the horse fipps out and half rears and they just keep doing it. the same person's dad has been seen with his horse tied to the trailer with a rope halter on while he laid into it with a buggy whip. another girl who is in the money at almost every show she goes to also abuses her horses. she doesn't accually whip them eccept in the pattern, but they only last about two years and then they dissappear. she burns out more horses than anyone i have met, and she rides them ungodly hard for their age. i think that is another form of abuse, some people just kick whip and spur their horses into a state very much like the pony ride horses, dead and walking.

#4 daphne

daphne

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:02 AM

My old barrel mare refused to go into the arena. My dad actually either had to lead her in or chase her in. Not because she was ran all the time, but she was alley way sour. We were at a race and the gate guy shut the gate to soon, and caught both of her back legs. Scared her to peices. Never could gt her in, but as soon as she was in the arena she was fine. Some horses are like that. A little goofy when it comes to running barrels. It could be that they run them WAY to much or it could be that there adreline is pumping so much that they act goofy.

#5 Jenet

Jenet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:41 AM

Ya its sad.
I went to a race once where the horse didnt want to go in and they walked behind him with a cattle prong. I was pissed! I immediately contacted the association president and vented. But because they did not use it while going into the arena it was ok. What they do at home to the horse was their own business.
This is the type of people that give barrel racers a bad name. It sucks.

#6 razzberry

razzberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:57 PM

I don't consider that abuse at all.. People who starve their horses, THAT'S abuse.

The situation you witnessed was bad training. She should have started over and assessed why her horse was having trouble getting in the gate instead of making it more scared of it.

#7 Turn&Burn_Girl

Turn&Burn_Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:05 PM

When you have to whip your horse to death, or really scare the brains out of him...

Is when you know something is wrong here.

horrible.
[Frown]

#8 Pep's_Gone_Wild09

Pep's_Gone_Wild09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by razzberry:
I don't consider that abuse at all.. People who starve their horses, THAT'S abuse.

The situation you witnessed was bad training. She should have started over and assessed why her horse was having trouble getting in the gate instead of making it more scared of it.

I believe there are different kinds of abuse. As I mentioned in the name of the thread "Barrel Horse Abuse" People who starve their horses, yes thats abuse, but people who whip a horse HARD to get him to go in IS Abuse. Its one thing as a rider to whip your horse in the gate but to have your dad stand behind you and whip your horse, thats abuse. I've had problems with my horse and I still have problems. But as a rider I think we should have the responsibilty to figure out how to get your horse in the gate. I've just know figured out how to deal with nerves. Now my horse is working better than ever just for the fact that I figured out my job as a rider. My job is to keep my horse working the pattern, ride to my potential, get my horse to her potential, and to keep her sane. If whipping a horse to get them the arena will keep a horse sane then everyone who has horses refusing will do that. But I've seen horses blow up and not go in because of that kind of pressure.

#9 razzberry

razzberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:44 PM

I didn't say it's not abuse.. it is.. but I don't think it's as severe as your making it out to be..

There are people in the horse world that do not treat their horses as well as others of us might.. that's life. Her philophies are not the same as mine and yours... She and her father felt it was acceptable to do that to a horse. It's unfourtante but it does happen..

I guarentee you will see it happen time and time again..

#10 Pep's_Gone_Wild09

Pep's_Gone_Wild09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:46 PM

Oh I know it will happen again. I will see it threw my whole career. Yes I will frown upon it but their is nothing I can do. I am just simply disguisted with those who do that just to get a horse to run barrels. It can and will ruin a horse.

#11 QB

QB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:51 PM

I seen all sort of things to get a horse into an area and I don't judge because I have a mare that doesn't like to go in either. It is easy to say its horrible until you get a horse that does the same thing and you realize why they did what they did.

#12 Pep's_Gone_Wild09

Pep's_Gone_Wild09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by QB:
I seen all sort of things to get a horse into an area and I don't judge because I have a mare that doesn't like to go in either. It is easy to say its horrible until you get a horse that does the same thing and you realize why they did what they did.

Again I have a horse that does that. How did I fix it? I discovered the problem. ME. Its easy to get a whip and hit your horse. EASY. You get frustrated and think that it will help. The first thing I do is remind myself to keep calm. Calm you nerves down and horse will follow. Then if he still won't go in you know he is hurting or doesn't like his job or something else is going on. I try not to judge others but hey lets face it we all do. I still consider her my friend even though she does it but I see a major mistake happening and I won't be suprised next time I see that horse if he is ruined. Again I hate seeing horses with potential ruined because of a rider error. Yes her father and her have different ideas than I do but a good rider is one who can keep her horse working and competing and wanting to compete for years to come.

#13 razzberry

razzberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:11 PM

[Not Worthy] Exactly QB..

#14 Bumper

Bumper

Evolution is a Fact of Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mo_cowgirl03:
I see this all time it is very common is the barrel racing world. People run their horses every weekend and some during the week and horses will start to refuse that is way it is always good to take your horse in the arena walk him around and let him relax so he know everytime he goes in there he isn't going to have to work and if you plan on running a ton of barrels you best having two horses so you can switch on and off so you don't ruin an awesome horse.

Common??? Only among ignoramouses who don't really know how a barrel horse is supposed to be trained and run. In more than 26 yrs running barrels i've never seen that happen. I've seen plenty of gate sour horses, but for every gate sour horse there were a hundred who went in just fine.

Let's not propagate invalid rumors about barrel horses!

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

#15 sweetsonnyjames

sweetsonnyjames

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pep's_Gone_Wild09:
[QB][QUOTE]Originally posted by QB:
[qb]I seen all sort of things to get a horse into an area and I don't judge because I have a mare that doesn't like to go in either. It is easy to say its horrible until you get a horse that does the same thing and you realize why they did what they did.

I agree with Peps. Most of this is rider error. Lack of communication. If the horse is that uptight, it should be back to basics. After a rest. Once in a while, Sam tends to give me a hard time going in the chute. What I realized is that he is so anxious to run, if I hold him back, he dances. Its me; not him. So, I adjusted.

I read an article that the cowboys working in feedlots only use their horses (and they use 3 a day) for 2 months. Then out to pasture for another 2, for a mind and body rest.

Judge? Me neither. But judge abuse? I'd like to think it would be me to intervene. But realistically, I know the chance of someone like that turning it on me would be a distinct possibility. Maybe rescue the animal...... Someone higher than me will be there to make that person answer for their bad deeds. Would I usher my child away? Most definitly. Maybe even call the cops if it got way out of hand.

Is it ever ok to hit to hurt? Child, person or animal, no different. Its never ok to beat somthing with less power than yourself. There are ways to teach without hitting. (as the Scriptures read: the 12 disciples taught, discipline is to teach, not to force into submission. Would Jesus have approved? i doubt it.) [Mad]

#16 ESMT

ESMT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 320 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:41 PM

When I was a child I witnessed a horse being whipped while tied to the trailer after a bad run. About 10 or 15 minutes later he was dead. They are assuming the horse either had a heart attack or something else caused by the fear it was experiencing. I don't remember much afterwards, but the police arrived and my parents toko us kids home at that point. To this day, 30+ years later, I will still forget it.

#17 Bumper

Bumper

Evolution is a Fact of Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:55 PM

I'm going to clarify something...i know of horses who refuse at the gate for pain reasons, some for training reasons, and some because they are just so on the muscle they react this way. Pain can be fixed, training can be undone or redone, and being hot and ready is easy to deal with.

Beating a horse to get them in the gate is rarely ever effective. Like anything else, find the reason WHY and fix it. Simple.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

#18 razzberry

razzberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:57 PM

Your so good at word-age Bumper [Not Worthy]

#19 cowgurly02

cowgurly02

• Members
  • Pip
  • 486 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:42 PM

I agree with most here, it IS abuse. And it's sick. There is a girl I rodeo with whose horse won't go in the arena (for good reason! I wouldn't want to either if I were him!)...she is whipping and spurring him, her mom is on his face dragging him, and her brother runs behind them whipping the horse as well. EVERY time. I have seen that horse rear up and pull her mom off the ground. And he is just getting worse and worse.

My horse started to get nervous and didn't want to enter the arena for a while when he first started getting hauled. He wasn't that bad, he would go in if another horse went with him, but I felt bad and wanted to fix the problem. I worked with him, tried not to pressure him too much and during rakes I would ride him up into the gate and just let him stand and relax and learn that it's not a bad place to be. It took a while, but by the end of the summer he had gotten over his stage fright and was going into the arena fine.

How does BEATING a horse into the arena fix the problem? That just makes the arena and the gate a much WORSE place for him to be! Would you want to go into a gate if you knew you were going to get the snot beat of you??

#20 She_can_ride

She_can_ride

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:49 AM

UGhh that pisses me off too!

My friends mom bought her a 2500 dollar horse that she cant conrtol when it gets in the rodeo atmosphere. At one barrel race it was her turn to get up in the arena and run, but her horse wouldnt go in, so her mom told me to grab the headstall and hold onto the horse coz my friend was nearly in tears, because it was dancing around and jumpin in th air a little. (i personaly think she had no buisness riding that horse) so i had ahold of the horse and my horse, then out of the corner of my eye hear comes the gate lady and she grabs my friends headstall and she was like jerking on it and slappin the horse's head!!
Oh snap! that was it, i ended up telling her to get the (eff) away coz she was making things worse. So eventualy we got the horse in the arena. After i got off and walked her in.

It amasise me how people think beating a horse will make them go into the arena better.

[ 07-24-2007, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: She_can_ride ]

#21 mo_cowgirl03

mo_cowgirl03

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:14 AM

Bumper I wasn't saying I agree with this way of getting a horse in the arena or that everyone does it or that every horse refuses going into the arena. It's just I seen at two or three people at each show that will whip, spur and pull on their horses to get them into the arena so it didn't surprise me when peps brought this topic up. I feel if you have to go to this extremes to get your horse in the arena then there is something wrong. Either the horse is feeling some soreness or he's saying I need a break. It's just like when I get stuck working 60 to 70 hrs a week after a while I don't want to go and I need a break. Just wanted to clarify a little more no hard feelings.