• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Maître du cheval

Maître du cheval

• Members
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

Well, I originally started out wondering if I would be able to use a sparkly browband in the hunter/jumper world (like the ones that you see in the dressage ring). Does anyone know if this is acceptable? But then, I thought that I really don't know much about what is and isn't acceptable. So I thought it would be cool if some people could teach other people(like me about what is and isn't acceptable in the show ring). So, please begin posting! [Big Grin]

#2 tvp

tvp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:02 PM

In the jumpers I've seen beaded browbands. I would never use it in the hunter ring. The hunter ring is very conservative.

#3 JumperChic182

JumperChic182

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:15 PM

I think that it is best to start steering away from the blingage...I heard from someone that they were not going to allow GPA bling. Stick with your workmanship-like attire and tack. You want your horse to stand out, not the rider [Big Grin] As for coat color, I think that navy is the most 'correct' and acceptable color in the eq rings, and for hunter, the most common are the greys, blues, and sometimes black and forest green. For shirt color, white would be good for eq's, and for the hunter ring, anything that looks good under your coat color. But try and stay away from bright colors. Although highly attractive, that is not what you want in the hunter ring [Wink] No boots, no bell boots, no fancy browbands ect....use only the tack you need to and leave it at that. Please use fitted white saddle pads and/or half pads. No square pads. No colors.

But this is for the hunter/eq rings.

As for the jumper world, anything basically goes. When you get up in the levels, it is appropraite to wear a jacket, but not required. As for tack anything basically goes. Bling is in, so you can go crazy, so to speak.

Hope that helped

#4 Imagine That

Imagine That

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:30 PM

Well, the "hunter/jumper" world is actually two very different worlds within it self. What is acceptable in the jumpers can differ so much from what is acceptable in the hunter and equitation rings. Let us know which ring you plan on showing in, and we can give you some much more specific details on what is acceptable/legal and what is not.

*Some little things to consider.
Please remember to wear black gloves at all times, especially in the equitation ring! Bit keepers should always be worn when using a full cheek snaffle. No stock pins on your ratcatcher.

#5 TxBarrelBabe

TxBarrelBabe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:38 PM

everyone has bling for jumpers....browbands, belts, helmet stripes, ect but yeah, that stuff doesnt fly in the hunter ring

#6 All Apologies

All Apologies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TxBarrelBabe:
everyone has bling for jumpers....browbands, belts, helmet stripes, ect but yeah, that stuff doesnt fly in the hunter ring

Yea, I don't.

Most juniors do. Well, to an extent.

#7 Taglet

Taglet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:17 PM

My new bridle has little rhinestones across the browband. Nothing huge and yucky, just enough to look cute. [Big Grin]

#8 hero 'n ponie

hero 'n ponie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Taglet:
My new bridle has little rhinestones across the browband. Nothing huge and yucky, just enough to look cute. [Big Grin]

Very cute, but are they legal for hunters? I was under the impression that browbands had to be plain leather for hunters, and that the only embellishment allowed was fancy stitching. Can anyone confirm this?

#9 dapplefred5

dapplefred5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:30 AM

Well I have a sparkly browband for my horse and I love it. I use it when I show and I dont really care what everyone thinks! lol. Thenagain I dont show like A because bleh! But even if I did, I would probably still use it. its perty and my horse is white.

as for clothing, I think people are waaaaayyy to boring in hunters. I am all for conservative, dont get me wrong, I cant stand it when people have like neon green saddle pads, hat covers, bell boots, boots all in that color. But for hunters everyone just wears like a drab coat.
My fav coat I have is brown with a brown velvet color and it is stunning, if I do say so myself! [Wink] And I usually wear a stock just because, plus they are more fun than chokers. and I am a foxhunter so yeah!

#10 OnceWasTag

OnceWasTag

it's gone all pear shaped!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,767 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:35 AM

Bling in the ring makes me cringe. Use the bling at home, but have a regular browband for shows.

#11 goldentoes

goldentoes

can't stop singing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,374 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by hero 'n ponie:
quote:
Originally posted by Taglet:

Very cute, but are they legal for hunters? I was under the impression that browbands had to be plain leather for hunters, and that the only embellishment allowed was fancy stitching. Can anyone confirm this?
It's not so much that things are "allowed" or not. But if things are "unconventional" you can be penalized at the discretion of the judge.

Personally, I would say NOTHING sparkly in hunters. I may think that engraved stirrups, tastefully done with no rhinestones, is acceptable. But bridles should be brown, either plain raised or fancy stitched, saddles also brown, fitted saddlepads and no excess of fluff anywhere.

AS for stock pins, someone mentioned it- it's not "fashionable" now, but I don't think a judge would penalize you for wearing one or that it's unnacceptable. People debate about safety, but I would wear one, and have, despite the fact that it's "out"

For jumpers, basically anything goes, but I LOVE when a jumper is turned out without excess. [Smile]

#12 Wonderbabygirl16

Wonderbabygirl16

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by OnceWasTag:
Bling in the ring makes me cringe. Use the bling at home, but have a regular browband for shows.

haha... i love it... that first part rymhms(sp?)!

As for the bling...

I dont like it, i am a hunter, the extent of my bling is a GPA helmet with a BLACK stripe. Yes i think its cute and whatnot, but acceptable absolutly not. I would never show in it. Colored ratcatchers are fine. I have a pink one and a purple one so i think thats fine but things like pink yarn in the horse's braids, pink saddle pad, pink this and pink that is way TOO much.

Erin