• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 hunterjumper214

hunterjumper214

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:54 PM

I am just looking around at saddles and I came across the Beval Gladstone. Looks fairly good quality for the price, no?

It is made in Argentina and I've been advised to stay away from saddles made there.

Does anybody have experience with this saddle, or any Beval saddles? If this is a bad choice, can you explain why and possibly another brand I can look for.

* I have been looking for nice used saddles i.e. old Pessoa's, Devoucoux, etc. I just haven't found a horse yet so I don't know what size to look into!

#2 Leadmare

Leadmare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:24 PM

My advice for what it's worth is to buy the horse first and then find a saddle that fits. Generally the Beval saddles are quite nice though their trees tend to run on the narrow side (especially the ones made in the UK and the Butets).

[Smile]

[ 07-16-2007, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Leadmare ]

#3 hunterjumper214

hunterjumper214

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Leadmare:
My advice for what it's worth is to buy the horse first and then find a saddle that fits. Generally the Beval saddles are quite nice though their trees tend to run on the narrow side (especially the ones made in the UK and the Butets).

[Smile]

Thanks Leadmare, definitely going to do that! I just wanted to get everyone's opinions. Sorry if I am confusing [Wink] .

#4 *Unbelievable*

*Unbelievable*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:16 PM

I was actually going to ask everyone's opinion on these saddles, i'm looking for a new one too!

#5 hunterjumper214

hunterjumper214

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:47 AM

Bump!

#6 goldentoes

goldentoes

can't stop singing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,374 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:15 PM

Several good companies are having products made in Argentina now- mostly in order to offer their customer lower priced options.

I believe, though I could be wrong, that the Gladstone, like some others, is assembled in argentina but that the leather is european leather.

Argentina is getting better, believe it or not, too (newer HDR models are getting much better reviews, for example). Best way to know in this case is to sit in one and see how it feels.

#7 Tootsie Roll's Deranged

Tootsie Roll's Deranged

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:34 PM

Argentina saddles are getting better and better. I've not had experience with the Gladstones, but the higher priced Bevals are REALLY nice. I have a Dover Circuit, which was made in Argentina, and it's really pretty good for the price and fits most of the horses I put it on.

#8 Graceless

Graceless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:44 PM

I don't have too much experience with the Gladstone, but I know for a fact that most beval saddles are great. There is a store close to me, so I've tried out many of their models. They hold up nicely, too, there is one that has been around the barn for easily ten-fifteen years with constant use and still looks almost as good as new.
The Natural is also a more affordable model of theirs, but you could never tell when you're sitting in it.
The trees do run a little narrow, though, so definately watch the fit before making any final purchases.

Also, you said you were looking for nice used saddles? While on the topic of Bevals, definately try looking for a butet. Hands down the most comfortable saddle I've ridden in, and if you do a little bit of searching you can find good quality ones pretty inexpensive in comparison to the new prices.

#9 JumperCrazy

JumperCrazy

Just Jump It

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,047 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:51 PM

<3 the butet. i'm ordering on soon and have been riding in one for quite some time now.

#10 RJ&Nick

RJ&Nick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JumperCrazy:
<3 the butet. i'm ordering on soon and have been riding in one for quite some time now.

well sorta, OLD butet's are VERY nice, new butets are uncomfortable and i hear more and more people talking about back problems that their horses are getting from them - id go with a nice used devocoux - esp if you dont have a horse yet, since they will re-flock it to fit you and your horse for only $500 - which is a great deal [Smile]

#11 JumperCrazy

JumperCrazy

Just Jump It

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,047 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:06 PM

guess i'm special. [Smile] the newer butets i've tried have been no different than the two older ones i've ridden in. my horse never came off sore either.

but anyways, yeah. i still adore Beval for just about anything. they do amazing quality on their items.

#12 SmileItLooksGoodOnYou

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou

Hotter than fish grease...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:24 PM

I've had a few friends with Gladstone saddles. They're not bad at all. It's not a $3500 saddle, but it's comfy. I've never had a bad experience with one, or known anyone who didn't like it.

#13 sappy

sappy

Happy as a clam..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,837 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:32 PM

I am an iffy fan of the beval. I like some of the saddles and not others. I love the older butets, not the new ones. And some of the LTDs and devons I really don't like though it seems to vary by the saddle. I've seen some that just don't sit right.. and others that do. I like the world cup and natural a lot. The natural comes in a flad or deep seat option. I had one that I just loved. I think Curmudgeon has a gladstone.. I might be wrong though. It could be a devon. Ahh I'll just point this out to her. She loves her saddle and I must say it was a good find. I looove old flat saddles. Well the good ones.

Definitely buy a horse first and buy a saddle to fit that animal. Otherwise you might end up with something you need to resell. Just a big cluster mess there.

#14 Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,799 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:44 AM

Mine is a devon, it is about 7 years old. It was a good saddle for the $600 I paid for it barely used with leathers and irons. The leather quality is great and it sits on the horse really nicely. Mine is a complete pancake of a saddle and I make the lessonkids get the pancake torture in their lessons, teaches you to stick. muahaha.
Is it the nicest saddle in the world? Nah, but it is decent, especially for the money. I'm not sure I would fork out the $2,000 for it new even if I had it, for that price you could do better.

#15 hunterjumper214

hunterjumper214

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:08 AM

Thanks everyone, you've been a great help.

I always planned on getting a saddle after I got the horse, just to make sure it fit perfectly. But, if the owner doesn't have a saddle I could use while they're on trial, what should I do? For example, the horse always was ridden in trainer's saddle?

I fould this amazing deal on a perfect Butet on ebay (am I allowed to post the link?).
I've also had my eye on a used True Brit Harry Dabbs. (Again, link?)

#16 goldentoes

goldentoes

can't stop singing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,374 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by hunterjumper214:
I fould this amazing deal on a perfect Butet on ebay (am I allowed to post the link?).

be verrrrrrrrry careful.

There are many scams on ebay, and the vast majority of high-end saddles I've seen there (especially "amazing deals") are too good to be true.

If you bid, make sure to ask questions. Not normal questions either. Ask for a specific measurement that's not included, and construction materials. Ask about things that are impossible (is the tree made from whalebone or the lower quality buffalo?), or a photograph from an angle not included in the auction.

Many of these high end auctions recycle both the text and photos from old, legitimate auctions and re-use it. So there may not be any giveaways in the auction description that it's not legit.

#17 hunterjumper214

hunterjumper214

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:59 AM

Thanks goldentoes, and you have a PM. I wasn't sure if we were allowed to post ebay links!