24 replies to this topic

#1 Itchysmom

Itchysmom

Dionne Sidhe

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,000 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 05:54 PM

It is soooo hot out today! The weather man said it was going to be 110 degrees today and I believe it. AND the humidy just makes it worse. We have huge thunder clouds hanging around too. The horses are mesirable. I have hosed them off 4 times already today and it doesn't even seem to help. I have dumped and refilled water buckets twice as the water gets hot too!

For weeks now it has been in the 90's with no end in site. I am glad hubby is home to refresh water mid day!

How has the weather been where you are? Is this heat and humidity going to stay ALL summer? If so, my guys are not going to be worked until October at this rate [Frown] I went riding this morning at 8 am and we stayed out for 1/2 an hour because it was already boiling hot.

#2 440

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:04 PM

Yep, it's going to stick around. 102 here, right now, and more of the same for the next ten days, according to the forecast. We usually have about 3 weeks of this in late Aug. amd part of Sept., but this year it's way too early. I blame it on Bush. [Big Grin]

#3 scribblinhanna

scribblinhanna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:18 PM

I feel your pain....last I looked it was 102 in the shade. If you sit outside you might melt out of your shoes. Checked the horses a little bit ago and they are actually out sunbathing. I think they are not right!

#4 Itchysmom

Itchysmom

Dionne Sidhe

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,000 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:24 PM

Here in So Cal we do get some hot weeks but not week after week after week! Even tho the water in the river, which isn't real deep, is constanly running, it's pretty warm too. I think it is the humidity more than the heat that gets me, I'm not used to it like people in the south east. Usually our heat is dry. This actually makes me nausious!

#5 professionalameture

professionalameture

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:32 PM

Ah, well it HAS been hotter than a fryin' pan out there, but it cooled of last night (what a gorgeous morning!) But if it weren't for the wind, it'd probably feel hot out there. Actually, it's only 84 right now so that's a relief, cuz it has been 105 or thereabouts. Not to brag, or anything [Razz] but perhaps there will be relief for you all soon!! I hope [Big Grin]

#6 Itchysmom

Itchysmom

Dionne Sidhe

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,000 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:38 PM

OMG, my daughter called and said it was 118 today! Yep, pretty hot. All I have a re a few ceiling fans and a swamp cooler. Of course the swamp coller just makes it more muggy in the house. Then the wind kicked up for about half an hour and the dust was flying everywhere!

Tha't it, I'm moving to Antartica!

#7 Panda 92009

Panda 92009

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:07 PM

If I liked these hot temperatures & high humidity, I sure would be livin' cheaper in Texas than here in high dollar San Diego, CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!!

It is 94 in my living room, and it is 8PM. I have no A/C, and no place here even has a fan for sale, everyone is sold out! I did THAT lovely shopping spree with $3.31/gallon gas this afternoon.

My poor horses just finished half of a cold watermelon, I'm sure they enjoyed that. At least the watermelon was on sale.

I got a pedicure yesterday and my pedicurist is from Viet Nam. SHE was complaining about the humidity here, so you know it's bad!!!

#8 Lash Man and Al Girl

Lash Man and Al Girl

Lash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,654 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:11 PM

It rained all yesterday and we didn't get over 85 today. [Big Grin]

#9 La. can chaser

La. can chaser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,429 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:34 PM

Over 100 degrees here all week too. Finally got a break today with a little rain and some clouds. The humidity will sofocate you though. We can not expect a cool down until about mid October though. Last year we were in the 100s all the way through Oct. It was miserable. [Crazy]

#10 PinkTractor

PinkTractor

Live. Ride. Pull.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:45 PM

I rained on and off all day today, and never reached 75*. Right now it's 55*. But, the weather man did say it was supposed to be in the 90's again next week.

#11 Rottinluv

Rottinluv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:39 PM

It "officially" hit 108 today, but my thermometer said 116! [Eek!]

Our town may occasionally get to 100, but we are usually very dry. The humidity is up to 65% right now. My brother is here visiting from Tennessee, and says it feels like home, only hotter.

I don't handle the heat well, but what I really hate is walking outside and sweating instantly. If I wanted humidity, I'd live somewhere else! We Californians truly are spoiled... but not lately!

Oh, and my air conditioner went on the fritz today. Once it cooled off to about 100 it started up again, but it was around 6:30, and the house had heated up to a miserable 98 degrees!

#12 BarnBarb831

BarnBarb831

Night Stalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,108 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:44 AM

I guess I won't say that it was about 79* and beautiful weather here today then [Big Grin] [Razz] Supposed to get hot again during the week, but not as hot as it was a week ago.

#13 iluvhorses2005

iluvhorses2005

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:53 AM

Texas' heat wave won't end until the middle of December! [Surrender] All this past week we've been 100+ and this morning was actually nice! It was breezy and 83! But of course that didn't stick. I've been noticing some lightning around here in the past couple of hours, but I'm not sure that we will get anything or not. I sure do hope so! [Crazy]

#14 Itchysmom

Itchysmom

Dionne Sidhe

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,000 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:27 AM

I'm glad some of you are getting rain and decent temps. I can't remember the last time it was this hot and humid in CA. I just want it to go away! I just weaned Nani and I really would like to take Itchy out by her self, it's been a long time since I could ride her without either being pregnant or dragging a baby. Hubby says to get up and feed at 2am then I could ride at 4am! I told him he could feed when he is up at 4! Never got a response.

I am beginning to wonder if this so called green house effect that the enviromentalists talk about is actually happening. The weather all over the world has been weird lately.

#15 Sweetaddiction

Sweetaddiction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:46 AM

Oh that's just outrageous! I think I would just curl up and cry.
There's even been a heat wave in England this year. They had up to 90's last week and I guess it broke 100 somewhere there. [Eek!] That never happens.

#16 lynnrbkh

lynnrbkh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:54 AM

Up at my parents' farm, it was so hot their baler ignited on fire while my dad was baling due to friction (heat from bearings) and really dry hay. YIKES! Thank god for insurance. [Crazy] And that's in central Alberta. [Eek!]

#17 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:01 AM

It got to 118* at my house yesterday! And humid! We had thunder storms in the late afternoon too - crazy man! Hopefully today wont be as hot! It's hard to conserve energy when it's that bad.

#18 Tazzin

Tazzin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,016 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:04 AM

Itchysmom, I still get my news channels from down there and I feel for you! [Surrender]

At the barn yesterday it was 97 and humid due to the previous thunderstorms. It was 101 when I was shopping... I was drenched in sweat just from working 2 horses and doing the bandage on mine!

At home, at 5,600' elevation it was 94 but not quite so humid so the swamp cooler was helping [Confused]

#19 Bumper

Bumper

Evolution is a Fact of Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:10 AM

U know the heat is bad when even Montana hits 100....for a week straight.

[Eek!]

(where's a sweaty smiley?? we need one!! lol)

Thank GOD we don't have any humidity 2 speak of!

It gets down to 55-60 at nite but right now at 9 am it's 80 in the shde. We've had upper 90-100 temps 4 about a week and predicted into to hit 100 all through Wednesday. The hay was 2 wks early and the grain harvest is REAL early and the fire danger is extreme. So many fires r started from combines sparking chaff so everyone is nervous 'round here!

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

#20 LovemyValentine

LovemyValentine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:27 PM

It was 115 here in east San Diego County today! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!! I don't have air conditioning!!!! It sucks!

#21 MondaesMom

MondaesMom

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 01:15 PM

LoveMyValentine,

The last time I remember it that hot in Santee was the summer of '91! [Eek!] We lived off of Juniperro Trail then.

Take heart everyone I'm checking in with a report of 112 yesterday at 5 p.m. and 90 at 7 a.m. this morning. We've got the misters going full bore in the pens and we're hiding inside in the air conditioning.

#22 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2006 - 01:20 PM

I have family in San Diego. I went there last Thurs and Fri and hoped to be cooler....it wasnt' It was alot better than my house but WAY more humid. What's happening to this world? lol

#23 Ribellin

Ribellin

The next greatest ??? I don't know yet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 01:35 PM

We have all been forgotten by The Gods! [Me Cry]

Up here in Lubbock, we ain't no better!! Over 100 degrees every day. The part a lot of folks don't have is the blowing dust to GO with the lovely heat. Grrr! My goofy horse plays in the irrigation sprinkler when the owner has it running. Mine is stabled at a farm. And they have some serious walnut trees in the back to get under...but still.....

I was thinking about putting my horse in a big floppy hat....hehe...think she'd look cool? [ROTFL]

#24 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,278 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 05:14 PM

When it stays in the 90's for weeks in northern MN, you know somethings not normal!

Hot again today, too. There is a hot wind blowing, and I'm hoping it brings in some storm clouds. [Surrender]

#25 I luv Dove

I luv Dove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,403 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 05:46 PM

It's been 100-106 for the past 12 days here. Yesterday we ahd a "cold front" as the radio claled it and it wnt down to 97. Today we are having a major cold front, its 81 outside right now! I am loving this! Too bad it's going to be back to the 100's soon.