• Please log in to reply
9252 replies to this topic

#31 Maggie's Mom

Maggie's Mom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:00 PM

Been so long since I have been on. Had so much going on. Glad to see a new chapter started. I see some familiar names here. Will try hard to keep up with everything as life has slowed down a tad for me.

Last time I posted, I had one mare. She gave me a beautiful filly April 2nd but sadly we put her down last week due to founder. She suffered through her last 5 months of pregnancy and then through 4 more months until Stormy was old enough to wean.

I purchased a 12 year old gelding last month so Stormy would not be alone and he has turned out to be a wonderful addition for me and Stormy.

Had 2 wishes come true the past couple days. First and foremost was the RAIN! We have been so hot and dry here it was just about unbearable. Rained most of the night and all morning. What a blessing. Second wish is I got my round pen put up today! Now training will go a lot smoother as I won't have Sam right there when I am working with Stormy and vice versa.

I have not retired yet but I did step down from my Director of Nursing position. What a relief. No more being on call 24/7. When I get off work, my off-time is mine again. Nice to be able to punch the time clock and leave work at work.

Enough of my rambling. Again, glad to see this new chapter.

#32 RobinG

RobinG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:35 PM

Oh can I join in? I love coffee and gossip! I quit work and stayed home for the last eight years. Decided to try my hand at raising miniature horses and had a blast but didn't make a dime! So, going to have to look at getting another job sometime within a year more or less for the insurance. My husband is 11 years older than I am and he'll be retiring in a few years and I'll be without insurance. Isn't that a bummer??!

I no longer breed the miniatures but kept 3 geldings and a mare. I also have two little dwarfs,a POA Pony and a Fox Trotter.

I'll be here in the morning with my coffee. [Smile]

#33 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,278 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:41 PM

Maggies Mom, that is so sad about the mare and Stormy. How is Stormy doing?

I haven't ridden in quite some time now. The weather was just way too hot and the flies were awful. Flies are still awful, but it's a lot cooler now, so I'll be getting back in the saddle again.

There are severe thunderstorms predicted for tonight and tomorrow, though. So, we'll see.

#34 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,343 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 12:09 AM

Good Evening Everybody,

Nice to see new faces here, plus another we haven't seen for a while.

Maggies Mom, Welcome back,sorry about the loss of your mare, she gave you a nice filly to remember her by. Hope your new gelding, works out well for you. Also glad you took a step back, so you don't get burned out. We all have know with in us how much we can handle, and when we have reached that limit.

Robin G, Glad you decided to join us. I see you are from Bentonville Arkansas, I knew that town sounded familiar. Then I remembered that Wal-Mart Headquarters is located there. My wife is from Arkansas, her family, lives about 60 miles south of Branson MO. We were just there in mid July. We have a lady that posts on here from time to time, that can't be to far from you. Her handle is rainsongappy. Sounds like you enjoyed your time raising minis. It seems the horse market, is so up and down, and trends change so quick. That it is hard to stay a head of the game.

WildRose, You posted on here twice in one day. That's almost un heard of. You must have missed me, there is nothing else that could explain it. You post twice in one day and it all goes right to my head. Hope the weather improves so you can get out and ride Rosie. You made alot of accomplishments with he in last 2 years. Good Work.

Well nothing exciting on the home front. Got my sweetcorn picked for supper, the grandkids were almost fighting over who was going to pick what ear. And they have learned to schuck it also. They are getting pretty good at it for a 3&6 year old. But they are better at eating it. After they go back with their mother, I'm either mother, I should either open a cooking school, or a beauty salon, as I've learned to do my grandaughters hair. That's enough tall tales for tonight. I gave my imagination free rein, and look where it lead to. Until Next Time. PD

[ 08-13-2006, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: Peppers Dad ]

#35 Remy

Remy

The Old Un

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 12:25 AM

I guess I qualify big time for +45. Had a great morning. Went for a long trail ride. Funny thing though. Yesterday I gave my horse and my husband's horse a peppermint. First time ever and they really liked it. So today I gave them another two. I know... killing them with kindness.

Anyway there was a decided change in their attitudes today. Both were really edgey and my horse is usually so calm. And after we got back to the stable, I stopped by the sand arena to watch a lesson and my horse actually got impatient and reared. Never happened before. I am wondering about that old wives tale of don't feed anything sugary as it makes a horse bad tempered. Never thought much of it before, but this is making me think. No more peppermints for my two.

I pick up the new horse this week and plan to pull his shoes and let him rest for a while. I will also pony him some. Apart from that it is a pleasant Sunday afternoon and I plan to take it easy for the rest of the day. Cheers...

[ 08-13-2006, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: Remy ]

#36 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,278 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:43 AM

Morning, everyone! I'm having my coffee with Hazelnut creamer in it...YUM!

PD, yes that must be it. [Razz] Actually, though, I just thought if I start reading and posting right away in this new room, I won't get lost and will be able to keep up. It's worth a shot! [Big Grin]

Sounds like those grandkids of yours are very at home with you. [Big Grin]

Remy, I feed my horses sugar treats, and they don't seem any different. Of course, if I rode more I might be able to tell! [Duh]

We have rain today, and its supposed to continue all day, so maybe I won't get to ride today.

#37 Barklays my Bay

Barklays my Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,179 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:50 AM

Hey, you dropped the age so I qualify! *grins*

I've been riding again. Daughters horse.

I had a fantastic ride yesterday. I was calm, he was calm. Everything worked.

I had the farm Dressage trainer exchange some of my jewelry for lessons. I made her a set of Glitz for a singing competition she was in. So I start taking lessons on tuesday on daughters horse. Can't wait.

http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL932/71400...9/177087398.jpg
us yesterday. *grins*

I'm planning on jumping him by december. And by next summer I'm vowing to be doing 3 foot. lol. So working hard towards my dreams/goals.

Anyway, that's my update. Enjoy your rides!

#38 heaven58

heaven58

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:55 AM

A BIG welcome to: Remy, Fast tracker and Robin G.- [Smiley Wavey]
I knew that we could get some new friends on here with a little facelift! [Jump]
Keep coming back to our herd, okey? [Jump]

Maggie's Mom-
It's nice to see you back with us and I am sorry about your loss.We missed ya!

Anyway, folks, I will be away from the computer for three days. We are going to Minneapolis to help daughter in her new house and then going to a football game to see Vikings vs. Oakland Raiders. Surprised that football starts so early but what do I know??? [ROTFL]
Have a nice few days.
Heaven

#39 cowgirlartist

cowgirlartist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,030 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:07 AM

Good morning ya'll. Been a little busy and want to thank all of you for your kind responses for my family when we had to put down Mom's horse southern gentleman.
Heading out today to check on AJ who is at the trainers. Gene said he as turned out to be a jam up little horse and may work out for me after all as my Reining Cowhorse mount. He is keeping him one more week and then I will pick him up next weekend. I also have to worm him and give him his west nile vaccine.
Still putting away Southern's horse tack, after I clean it up good, just in case Mom does find herself another horse to play around with. She is 74 and will still ride if it is a nice "short" quiet horse.

The carport conversion to barn is coming along really well. I just buy a few boards when the budget allows, and I nearly have the two stalls finished. My barn builder friend will help me put together the doors and hang them. All I will have left to do is finish the interior section where the run in section is.

I had come back from the "Worlds Longest Yard Sale" Now that was a blast! We drove the whole length off the 450 miles on Hwy 127, took in Rock City, saw the flying suacer house on Signal mountain, had "horse churned ice cream" at a Mennonite farm in Tennessee, and bought Sourgum Molasses at Muddy Pond, Tenn, found several old hames and other curiosities. What fun. We then went to the Kentucky Horse park before heading home after my sister called about Mom's horse.

#40 rainsongappy

rainsongappy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:03 AM

Good morning everyone.
I see we have started a new post. GREAT!!
Its been a rough three months for us. But I think I see the light at the end of the dark gloomy days.Spooky will have another month off from the trail rides, his tendons in the back legs are still sore and he's getting a shot a day for five days then every other day for five times. Surpass cream till the tube is empty. hosed down twice a day.I think hes getting better.
I miss the trail rides so much. but the ladys have offered their extra horses so I can ride when I get some spare time.
We got a little rat terrier female 3 months old. Can anyone tell me if these breed of dogs train easy,anything I need to watch? Right now she thinks we are her chew toys and play things.
The little stinker knows when shes on the leash so she comes when on it and NOT when she's loose.
We still miss the other dogs. Losing three dogs in three months is very hard. They were all over six years old and so much a part of the family.
Well time to get spooky up and get shot and fetlocks done for this morning. Hello to all the new comers and old timers.

#41 RobinG

RobinG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:23 AM

Hello all! I've got my 2 year old granddaughter today. She was driving my daughter insane so I went over and rescued her for the day. So I have a busy day ahead of me. We're going to the mall and she's going to ride all the rides (little cars, airplane, and of course the horses).

I have two miniatures that she rides around the front yard but it's so stinking hot! I haven't even been riding lately. Can't wait for Fall to get here.

Well, you all have a great day I sure plan on having lots of good times making memories with my little one.

#42 KGB

KGB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:53 AM

Welcome to all the new folks. I'm old, so please forgive me if I forget your names between page 1 & 2.

Maggie's Mom - Welcome back. I'm really sorry about your mare. I know her filly will keep you busy and help to ease some of your pain, but it's never easy to lose those special ones.

Rainsong - The same to you. I hope everyone recovers in good time. Rat terrors, err terriers, are very independant, just like all terriers. Until you find the secret to "COME!", I would not let one off leash in an unfenced area. After many years of raising mini schnauzers, and competing in both conformation and obedience, I have found that baked liver is a good incentive. Lay a thin slice on a baking sheet, turn your oven on real low, and let it slow bake until it is dry. Then break it in little pieces. I always reward a come, especially with a terrier or terrier mix. They have selective hearing, and can't hear you screaming from 6' away, but can hear the rattle of dog treats from 1/2 mile. I actually had to resort to a shock collar with Murphy, and will probably need one with Bonnie also. Bonnie is smart, however, and after one very mild zap, she comes instantly when she hears the beep. It's really funny, because when I put her service dog jacket on, she is a perfectly behaved little lady wherever I take her.

Jack - I think I am going to need to build a saddle rack in order to get one to fit that old saddle. I have a trailer full of lumber,and the neighbors have a whole pile of 2x6 & 2x4 left over from their deck addition.

Shirley & I went for a late ride last night, thinking we would have a full moon to light our way home. The moon refused to join us, and it was VERY dark. There are no street lights at all out here. We just rode down to the gas station to pick up our weekend papers, staying along the road all the way. Taz was very good, but Pepsi, the mare who makes Tazzy seem positively broncy, was as squirrely as could be. Who can figure out what goes on in those little brains of theirs?

I just learned that one of our barn cats had kittens under the neighbor's shed. I'm really tempted to live trap one, as I really want another tuxedo, but I don't know if I'm up to domesticating another feral cat. The lady we got poor little Clyde from has a real dark torti from the same mother, and that is tempting also. Gary will possibly forgive me for one kitten, but not two.

I hope we can go out earlier tonight, so we can ride in the hills, but Shirley's husband is hard for her to get away from. He desperately needs training, but she feels sorry for him, as his health is actually worse than Gary's.

Kate

#43 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,278 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 12:39 PM

cowgirlartist, sounds like AJ is going to be a great horse for you. [Big Grin]

Tammy, glad to see you here! I hope we both stay around. [Crazy]

rainsong, hope Spooky continues to improve. My Rosie has been plagued with a sore front foot twice this summer. I still don't know what it was. The first time I thought it was a bruise and abcess, but nothing came out and she just quit limping.

The second time I figured maybe she was trimmed too short, because she was fine on the soft ground in the pasture, but limped up by the barn on the gravel. Strange. She's OK now again, though.

Robin, have fun with that grandaughter! [Big Grin]

Kate, go ahead and get one of those kittens! [Big Grin] I'd love to have a barn cat or two, but Hubby hates cats. If a stray were to wander in, I would take it in, and that would be different, but to go out and get one...no, that would be asking for a whole bunch of griping!

Well, it's raining, raining, raining, here. So Miss Rosie-pants doesn't get ridden yet. [Razz]

#44 Maggie's Mom

Maggie's Mom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:11 PM

Good day everyone. Well the front came through, left us with some rain and now the temps have dropped a little. Only going to 90 degrees today; a lot better than the triple digits we have been experiencing.

Got friends and relatives coming by in a little while so I don't think I will get any use of my new round pen today. What a bummer. Wonder if they would miss me if I were to sneak out of the house for a while?

Vet came out and gave Stormy and Sam vaccinations. I tried to get him to show me about cleaning Sam's sheath as I have no idea when it was cleaned last. He gave me some ACE, told me to wait 45 minutes after giving and start to work. Guess I will have to find the Mr. Hand post and read up. Never had a gelding. Don't you just love learning new things about horses!

Guess I better go get the grill started and the drinks iced down. Hope everyone has a great afternoon.

#45 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:23 PM

I took pictures of the last three saddle racks and the bridle hanger made from the business end of a garden rake, and sent them to Angela and Prairie Rose. Perhaps one of them will be so kind as to post them here.

#46 Barklays my Bay

Barklays my Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,179 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wild Rose:

Tammy, glad to see you here! I hope we both stay around. [Crazy]

!

Well, it's raining, raining, raining, here. So Miss Rosie-pants doesn't get ridden yet. [Razz]

hehe, *waves* and thanks! Yeah, I never noticed this thread before! I must be very oblivious. lol

Ah, gosh! that's too bad. Hopefully it'll clear up soon for you two WildRose!

#47 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:32 AM

Bumpin' up this new thing, in the hours that are wee,
Everyone musta fell asleep in front of their TV
Or else they took off somewhere, with friends they chanced to meet
Or they ain't found their way here, to this new place up the street

Now I'll head back to the old place, and sit and have a beer
Reminisce about my friends and the friendly atmosphere
Maybe take some pictures for an album of the place
Who knows? I may get lucky and see a friendly face [Roll Eyes]

#48 Remy

Remy

The Old Un

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:08 AM

Well it's now 5 pm Monday evening on the other side of the world. Had a really lazy day. Did almost nothing. Didn't even make it to the stable. Will be there tomorrow though with bells on.

I did make a cake from scratch with cherries, cranberries, almonds and chocolate chips - all my favorites. Have to be careful though or I shall be packin' on the pounds. But shouldn't a salad for dinner cancel out that piece of cake?

Have to take the dogs for their 6 pm walk and then it will be another quiet evening for us. No neighbors here at all. We will be moving in the next two months but I shall hate to leave the peace and quiet of this area. Oh well, there's good and bad, at least we will be nearer to the horses. See ya'll tomorrow folks.

#49 RobinG

RobinG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:44 AM

Goodness, am I the first one up and at em this morning? I even over slept and will have to wait to do my exercises until I get in from feeding/letting out/ and cleaning the barn.

I had a wonderful time yesterday with my granddaughter. She's such a little cutie. We went to the mall and rode all the rides out in the middle then headed over to Wal-Mart to the toy section. Everything was "Me needs this"! Of course she got alot of things.

Macy likes horses alot and I'm hoping that she'll be my riding buddy someday. We gave them an acre across the pasture to build their house so they live close. She rides the mini's now but I have a beautiful Leopard POA Pony for her when she gets older. Now, does anyone know how to train a horse to pony? My Fox Trotter is a snot and I'm afraid he'll kick anything I try to pony along with. I guess I have a couple of years to figure this out, she's still young enough that she has to ride with someone leading and someone beside her.

Have a good day!

#50 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,278 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:10 AM

Morning, everyone!

Remy, yes a salad would cancel out that cake. At least I tell myself that! [Razz]

Jack, you'll have to put a sign on the door over at the old place and lock it up. Then everyone will come here. You could put a link to this place over there, too, then all they'd have to do is click on it. Kinda like "beam me up, Scottie"! [Big Grin]

Robin, I'm thinking of a pony for my grandaughter already, too. And she's only 3 months old!

Well, the sun is out today. The rain quit. But it's supposed to be very windy today. I have to go to the nursing home anyway this morning, so I don't know about riding today, either.

#51 Becaco

Becaco

I Cowgirled Up

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,460 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:58 AM

-

Welcome, FastTracker, Robin G and Remy

[Smiley Wavey] Wild Rose

Maggie’s Mom, welcome back. Real sorry about your mare.

Remy one little ol’ peppermint shouldn’t make that much difference to a 1000 lb horse.... should it?

[Huggy] Barklay glad to see you over here

[Smiley Wavey] Hi everybody. Hadn’t been around for the last few days. A couple of days, just didn’t feel like..... had other things on my mind. And on the weekend sometimes I just don’t get the chance.

August 9, we had an anniversary [Big Grin] NO not a wedding anniversary........ a going steady anniversary, 43 years ago. Hubby will sometimes mention he wonders why certain people get together and why they stay together. It tell him I can’t answer the first question, but the reason we have stayed together is because I am a saint.  -

Other than that, not much going on here.
HTTY * go gentle * I wish you enough

#52 TheBlingLady

TheBlingLady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:07 AM

Good morning!

Hey, can I join? I'm less than a month from 46, and on the fast track to a new knee, facelift, kid in college, and all the other fun stuff that turning 50 entails... oh yeah, I can show "Select" with the quarter horses!

I have an interesting issue with riding - fear. I was thrown in Dec. of last year, broke my leg - and it's still not quite right (thus the fast-track to the new knee, this is the 2nd break). I have an awesome show horse, I don't think he'd ever give me a problem... but I'm just really nervous. So everything - the round penning, grooming, etc. has been put off. He's a pasture decoration right now. And he's too good of a horse to waste. I want to ride again, but... scared.

And to think, I used to ride just about anything.

Can anyone else relate?

#53 doublelhorses

doublelhorses

Owner of 2 crazy redheads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:49 AM

Morning all.

Fresh fruit in the kitchen. Several new faces on here. Will take me a while to get everyone straight. Had a good weekend. Rode a bit and babysat for the daughter. Got to spoil my 7 month old grandson some. ( Youngest of the 10 grandkids)

Glad to see ya back WR. Knew you were around but just seemed to miss you here.

Well have a brain fog this morning so my mind is not with it [ROTFL] Guess I'll just go lurk for a while. [Smiley Wavey]

#54 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,343 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:12 AM

Good Morning Folks,

Thought it was time to catch up on things.

The Bling Lady, Welcome, found your post very interesting. Your fear after getting thrown is only natural. I had a 3 year old filly rear and go over backward on me June 1st. Luckily I was only stiff for a couple days. But I got back on a older mare I have, 3 days later., when a friend wanted to go riding. Best thing that could have happened. But I never got back filly that reared on me, and she is history. I traded her for a older gelding. That is fine horse. So I wish you luck getting back on. And I'm 13 years older than you.

RobinG, Glad you had fun with grandaughter, hope she does turn into your riding buddy. I'm sure you can get your MFT to pony a horse without kicking. If you can't you'll have a excuse to go look for another horse.

WildRose, Glad to se you are still among us. Have fun keeping your eye out for that perfect pony, for grandaughter. They are out there, and you might find it by the time your grandaughter is 3 or 4 years old. And she can grow next right into Rosie.

rainsongappy, Do hope your things brighten up for you real soon, and you can get back out on those trails. I know you have some good riding places there in Ozarks. So here is sending you some postive thoughts.

KGB, Wish you luck taming a kitten if you so choose to do that. I'm down to only 1 cat around here. And he is tuxedo in color, would make a excellent house cat. But I would trully miss him if he was gone. When he see me in the yard, he comes running, and then lays on his back and wants belly rubbed. Now I just have to find a good dog to with him. It'll happen.

Remy, Welcome to this side of the world, it is good to have people from different parts of the world posting with us. Give us a broader propective on life. Hard to believe that our morning is your evening. Glad you joined us, we'll keep the door wide open for you.

Becaco, 43 years is a long time to go steady, I want to ask when are you going to get married? but I know you did that over 40 years ago. Where do the years go? They fly by.

doublehorses, Glad to see you made it over here to new place. Sounds like you had a productive weekend. If you worked with horses, messed with grandkids. That sounds well rounded to me.

Well my daughter made last call home from Kuwait last night. Next one will be from Texas, that will make a mother and father feel much better. Two months from now I might be a free man. I won't know how to act, but I'll adjust. Hope the weather stays good so I can get out riding for a few weeks before the snow flies.

Enough for now. Later. PD

#55 rainsongappy

rainsongappy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:14 AM

[Smiley Wavey] good morning.
Well gosh its a pretty morning here, sun shining and 79 degrees. Spookys left hind fetlock is still very sore. but hes moving ok so thats encourging.
KGB::: thanks for the hint of liver..will get some soon.My first mistake was getting a 3 month old instead of a just weaned.I used to train big dogs of all kinds.but never had much call to train litle dogs.just basic obedience and family protection, police dogs and dabbled in rescue.Haven't done much in the last twenty years though.I have forgotten more than I knew. [ROTFL]
ild Rose::: rain.well send some down here OK?
I hope the weather doesnt do what it did last fall and go from HOT to COLD without any nice riding weather in between.I am so looking forward to some nice rides this fall and winter.

I have two barn cats and they are both spayed.Nice not to have a thousand cats around.
I took Scooter out with me to clean the big horse tank, she ran circles around callie( barn cat)
[Crazy]
She ran through the mud and chased the other cat who doesnt like dogs.well this computer is messing up. if i back space for more than five to ten times it starts capital letters, and i dont know how to stop it. so I will get off and go out and get horses in from thepasture. Have a good day everyone. Dallas

#56 FastTracker

FastTracker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:29 PM

[Smiley Wavey]
Thanks for the friendly WELCOME folks! Boy, I was lazy, lazy all weekend. My husband was out of town working last week and just wanted to relax and do nothing. Yep, I was happy to oblige. How lazy you ask??? We decided to trail ride about 6:00 last evening. We groomed, saddled and rode for OH I'd say a whopping 15 minutes and decided that was enough! Of course we blamed it on the bugs...So pathetic of us...The horses were thrilled however... [Smile] Their even lazier than we are.

Becaco Thanks for the good coffee..Yummmm what blend is that? And, if you don't mind, I'll use that Saint line on my husband too... [Big Grin]

RobinG What a wonderful granny you are. Hey ME needs stuff too!

KGB sounds like we have very similar backgrounds...perhaps we're SISTA'S.

rainsongappy losing 3 pups in 3 months? I'm so sorry, but isn't it wonderful how we have the capacity to put ourselves back out there and love yet again?

TheBlingLady Warning..It gets long from here.
Yep I understand fear/loss of confidence. I'm sorry you are going through this right now. Everyone has a different experience but I'd like to share mine with you. My young horse scared the beegeebers out of me a few months ago...I went so far as to sell her 2 days later, then deeply regretted it, and bought her back a week later. My Vet recommended a wonderful trainer that I called the very same day before I could change my mind. This gentleman exudes confidence, not cockiness and he quietly and gently, but firmly encouraged me to get back on a week after he took her. He didn't baby either of us but I felt very safe with him and so did my mare. My first ride back up, he walked along beside her head and when she started jigging he just touched the bridle next to her eye while we were still walking and said calmly that's enough of that and told me to take a deep breath. We both calmed down immediately and he asked if I was OK? When I said yes, he backed away and I rode for another 15 minutes in an enclosed area. On our second ride 2 days later in a wide open area she pulled the very same antics that had originally scared me but this time I stayed with her and rode it out. Yep she spun around and around, then backed at 100 miles an hour, then spun some more. This went on for about 20 of the longest minutes of my life. Trainer was right there on the ground watching, quietly urging me to get her moving forward. Suddenly she stopped her shenanigans and moved out at a running walk (she's gaited). I rode her in a straight line up and back for another 15 minutes or so then we went back and trainer saddled one of his horses. We rode for another hour through the forest at a very fast running walk non stop. I felt safe and confident. For me, the difference this time I believe was a couple of things...I better understood what this young mare was about and wasn't caught off guard by her constant testing. Most importantly, this wonderful trainer positively reenforced my riding abilities giving me the confidence boost I needed. I wasn't able to feel that same level of safety when riding her with any of my friends or my husband before this. The two of us are now out there riding fast and furious with my friends. [Big Grin] On a side note, I've always been able to ride my two older geldings without reservation. With persistance you'll find the best solution for yourself. I hope you mend soon.

Have a Blessed Day everyone!

#57 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,278 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:48 PM

TheBlingLady, I too understand loss of confidence. I have been battling with that since I got my Rosie, 7 years ago! [Bang Head]

I think the root of my problem rests back in 1983. I got a half Arab, 4 years old, that had never been away from his mother till I got him. He bucked me off and I broke my shoulder blade. Befopre that, I had horses as a kid, and was fearless, but then had no horses for about 15 years. This half Arab was not the right horse for me then, and I think that's what lodged the fear into me.

All I can say is what has helped me. That is taking it slow. Just do what you feel comfortable doing, and each day push yourself just one TINY step more. Of course, don't be like me and put off those tiny steps for days on end!

I have to get back in the saddle soon, or before I know it the snow will be flying!

#58 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,278 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:50 PM

FastTracker, now that's what I need! A trainer like that, with the ability to instill confidence in the rider. He sounds like he's a great person.

I'm glad that came together for you. [Big Grin]

#59 RA

RA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,795 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:17 PM

TheBlingLady - another point of view on loss of confidence. I started riding fairly late in life at age 36. It took me a couple of years to feel confident riding my now partner Mariah a TWH mare. When we started riding together she was about 12 - she's now 20. The first couple of years were interesting two steps forward one step back but when we finally got in tune with one another, there was no looking back. I got confident and decided to start bringing along my younger two horses. My Arab and I did well for the first two years but when I started asking for more we "hit the wall". Lots of mis-reading on my part and no patients on her part almost destroyed the confidence Mariah and I had built over the years. So I decided to move on to my 10yo green Walker Em this summer. Went better than I had expected with her being sensitive, easily frightened and athletic as all get out. BUT and here's the big BUT I have come to the realization I don't want to deal with green horses. It breaks my heart - I had great plans for us but I know coming on 50 in two years I just don't have the time or where-with-all to see it through. I can do almost anything with confidence with my Mariah. Em has the makings of a great horse but not with me. I don't want to lose all confidence and joy in riding so I am going back to just riding my reliable well seasoned mare. Someday soon I will have to look for a second horse - one to replace Mariah on long rides etc. I know how to pick the beautiful, athletic one in a million horse but I now know I want to look for a good reliable mount that won't be a constant challenge.

p.s. FastTracker - congratulations on finding the trainer that can see you through. Hopefully TheBlingLady can find one like that to help her regain her confidence and keep up with her horse. Mine could if she weren't 70 miles away! Lots of if's in life aren't there? IF I only had one horse to keep up with, if I were closer to my trainer/instructor, if I didn't have to work a 40hr job.......

[ 08-14-2006, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: RA ]

#60 doublelhorses

doublelhorses

Owner of 2 crazy redheads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:38 PM

What does it take to be a confident rider? Seems like we all have confidence issue now and again. I ride my walker cross and trust him with everything even thought he is high spirited. On the other hand my confidence with the little mare was somewhat lacking as I wasn't sure of my ability to help her learn. After 30 days with a trainer, who I am sure thought I lied to her, When Sugar acted like a complete idiot on her first day. we have grown more confortable and confident with each other and now ride by ourselves all over. I have the confidence now to push her thru the don't want too's without being fearful. Now I just have to figure out what happened to make her refuse to load. [Bang Head] every day is an adventure with her put I think she is a keeper. [Big Grin]