9252 replies to this topic

#8791 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:54 AM

Our son was here for a few days and was going to head back to Oklahoma yesterday, but stayed to visit with our daughter and granddaughter. He just left about 7:00 this morning.He had a great time while he was here. A guy he's known since before he was in kindergarten has a fishing charter boat and they spent a day catching walleyes on Lake Erie. He left here with a bunch of walleye filets on ice to take back to Oklahoma with him to share with his buddies there.

I remember a co-worker, Bob, who took charters out on the lake. He and his brother had a booth at a big outdoor sports show in Chicago. He was interviewed by a guy from a TV station and offered the guy a free trip on the lake if he'd bring some guys along with him. The guy brought some of his TV guys and made a video of the fishing trip, which he showed on his TV show back home. Soon Bob was overwhelmed with people calling, requesting charter services. Bob did okay.

The weather is supposed to taper off a little, with more moderate temps this week. I'm sure ready foir that!

Hasta whenever :smileywavey:

Edited by Jack Baumgartner, 08 July 2012 - 06:54 AM.

Saddletramp

#8792 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,385 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

Induan shuffler,

Sorry about your loss of power, but glad the temps have dropped & you got some much needed rain. I can't ever remember being over 24 hours without power. We sure take having electricity for granted. Great that everythinhg is back to normal now.

Jack, I'm sure Mark's friends will enjoy those walleyes, they are a good tasting fish. Our hot weather has cooled to the 80s for highs. we could use some moisture, but that will come in time.

Bell, When you have a 100 degrees on regular basis, any cold front is going to seem cool. Like everything else that will change, & it will be to hot again. Later. PD

#8793 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

Hi everyone! Well, it is 112 here today....so much for our cold front! My horse is comfortably snoozeing under her misting system and I think I might just take a nap too! Swept off the front porch and that just about did me in! Hope you all are staying comfortable as you can. It sure is a little early for the "dog days of summer"!!!

I ate a lot of Walleye when I was a kid growing up in North Dakota, Northern Pike too! Now it cracks me up when I see "Fried Walleye" on the specialty menus at restaurants down here in AZ. My girlfriend goes home to visit her family every summer and comes back with a cooler full of frozen Walleye!

#8794 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:06 AM

I've heard walleyes called wall-eyed pike and pickerel also. A bar/restaurant in my home town was the Chateau Louise (so named for one-time owner Louise Geller). They had tasty steaks and had people coming from 50-60 miles away for their pickerel dinners. I'm not that big on eating fish.

Temperatures have moderated here, so perhaps we'll have some relief from the humidity too. We could still use some rain.

Edited by Jack Baumgartner, 10 July 2012 - 01:07 AM.

Saddletramp

#8795 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:54 AM

BUMP!
Saddletramp

#8796 The Bun

The Bun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

! Watch this,,YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE WHAT YOU SEE AND HEAR !!!

THOSE POOR COWS WERE TRAPPED...!!! BLM DID THIS IN OREGON CLOSE TO WHERE LINDA LIVES....

I HOPE THIS WORKS ...
The Bun
I met a board buddy-- rwdodgerblue & ANDI

#8797 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:49 AM

I went to a local stable on Friday and asked if anybody needed a saddle. Yeah, they said Tom needs one but can't find one with a 17" seat. I told 'em I'd be back on Saturday with a saddle for Tom to check out. That roughout training saddle I've got has a seat about 17". I took it over and brought along a saddle rack for him to try the fit. He went crazy over that saddle, and asked if I'd take payments. I told him I can't buy 'em that way. He understood. He has his own business but money's tight right now and he's the last one to get paid. I told him I'd hang onto the saddle until I hear from him. He was really afraid I'd sell it in the meantime. I assured him I wouldn't. I gave him a decent price so it won't be long until he calls.

Saddletramp

#8798 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,385 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

Jack,

As usual you are trully a gentleman, I doubt that Tom will ever forget who he bought that saddle from when he has the money, now he knows it will be there when he is ready. I hope he is a man of his word like you are.

I was gone this past weekend, my wife & I decided we needed to get away, & grass was long enough to keep horses fed for 48 hours. We went up by Lake Superior, she said she wanted to walk by the water, not to complain, but I know I took more steps following behind her in thrift stores than I did walking by water!! It would have been cheaper walking by the water, oh well, it's only money, & she has earned every penney she spends putting up with me. PD

#8799 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

You're right, PD. I know I can't take it with me, and if I could I'd run the risk of getting it burned up! So, I just refuse to go!

Thanks for the kind words.

That water up north is cold, even in July. I remember a stay at a State Park just east of the Straits of Mackinac. If we stayed in the lake (Huron) very long, we turned blue! Nowadays, my idea of roughing it is having no room service after midnight.

Saddletramp

#8800 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,385 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

Jack,

My wife has wanted a camper or motorhome for years, I know just how much it would get used, & who would have to pay for upkeep on it, motel rooms are much cheaper when compared to upkeep., & come with electricity & toilet. That is all the roughing it I'm going to do. PD

#8801 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:01 AM

Speaking of motor homes, I've driven one and camped in it when some guys went up north for deer hunting. My friend's father said I was the only one he trustd beside his son to operate the vehicle. I thought it would be nice to have one, but it probably is smarter to rent one when you want to and let someone else bother with the upkeep when it's sitting unused. I think for most people it would be sitting more than being used.

It got up to 101 degrees here yesterday. They say half of the country is in drought conditions. Farmers are worried that their corn crop will fail to mature unless they get some rain soon. Hay prices will probably be through the roof this winter.

A friend's daughter was showing her mare in western Michigan at Berrien Springs and someone broke into her truck and trailer. I think this was one of those Ranch Horse shows. This mare is the one that won the Extreme Cowboy race at Equine Affaire. Anyway, they stole her purse, and an expensive show halter , among other things. I hate a doggone thief! My friend Bob, who was a roper, observed that you could leave your tack and grooming supplies lying all over around your trailer over a weekend of roping and it would be left alone. He said that the same couldn't be said of people at horse shows. They'll steal your hoofpick if they think they can get away with it.

Hasta whenever

Edited by Jack Baumgartner, 18 July 2012 - 08:02 AM.

Saddletramp

#8802 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,385 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

Jacj,

It was in the low 90s here yesterday with high humidity, it felt hotter than when it was 98 the day before. We got almost a inch of rain over night & this AM, the front was headed south-east, so I hope comes accross Lake Michigan & comes your way. Our corn & hay crop I'm sure is feeling a bit less stressed, so far hay prices haven't jumped a great lot, I bought 3 round bales from neighbor, & will buy some second crop small squares if he has any to sell. Later PD

#8803 Willy McCoy

Willy McCoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

How's things going?

Just hasn't been much going on here other than staying busy with the garden, setting up a chicken pen for some Americaunas and Bantys and the normal day to day stuff. June was pretty much a drought here going into the first week of this month, then we had a week where all it seemed to do was rain. Now things are starting to dry back out, but the darn humidity is all jacked up. Haven't rode in weeks as first it was too hot, then all that raining and now the humidity. I guess the horses are loving the vacation.

Vickie's cherry tomatos made a very big crop, more than she knew what to do with, so I ground them up into salsa along with some mild peppers and onions. Ended up 37 pints of the stuff. That should get me through the winter on salsa.

I got into a mess of seed ticks while working on the chicken pen and Vickie lost count at 150 getting those things off of me. Gasoline on a q-tip got rid of most of them, and I got some lice shampoo at the drugstore to get 'em out of my hair. I'm in no hurry to repeat that experience.

So what all is going on here.

#8804 Indianshuffler

Indianshuffler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:21 AM

Greetings everyone

Looks like, at long last, we will get some much needed rain today. Hope it goes on for a good long while. Our grass is beyond crispy. We were 102 on Tuesday, and now classified as in extreme drought. Pretty unusual for SE Mich. No forage out in the horse pastures at all, so we have been feeding round bales, usually reserved for winter. Hubby actually went to the extreme step of buying more rounds directly from a producer, as auction prices have gone out of sight here, in the last few weeks. From 50 to 70 dollars for small rounds! We have a good bit of hay on stock, and will wait to see how the rest of the hay season here plays out.
Nice thing though, is that our Apps are doing fine. Drinking great amounts of water, we went to two barrels per pasture to meet their daily needs. Hitting on their mineral blocks heavy too, besides what they consume in their pelleted feed.
I haven't been riding either, since the temps got so high. Thinking of trying to talk my hubby into going over to the local park, ten minutes away, on Friday when he get off his midnight shift, if the temp is reasonable. Just an hours easy walk gets you around it.

My sis, and fiance, just bought a used motor home, which they will enjoy during their honeymoon trip. She has a national campground membership. 20 footer, which parks in a regular space, in really nice shape, for $4000. They looked into renting, and the price was half what they paid to buy, for just a weeks rental, with milage restrictions.

Wonder if the horse shows know they could call their local Sheriff's dept mounted division, and request patrols during the show? They are all volunteers, and don't expect to get paid for their time, although some duty is paid by the entity contracting for service. Even unmounted, or mounted, neighborhood watch patrols, would be a good deterrent to theft.
People who will tell you the brutal truth when needed are keepers

#8805 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,385 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

Willy,

Good to see you posting here again, your runin with the seed ticks sounded nasty, I can see why you don't want to repeat the experience. We are just starting to get ripe tomatoes, & peppers & onions are running right behind, so some fresh salsa may be on the horizon here also.

indianshuffler, I hope you get that much needed rain, if it does nnothing else, it will gives hope that more will come. I bought 3 round bales a few days ago at last years price, I hope to get some small squares for a slight price increase. Later PD

#8806 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hi all! I've been up in northern AZ again...ShowLow...enjoying their cooler weather! I came back last week to monsoon rains here...rained for 3 days...now it's just humid as heck, can't even turn the misters on in the horse pen. Farrier came yesterday and I am so glad because I was tired of cleaning out Belle's hooves. He said her feet were good, new shoes and I'm not worrying anymore about it. Got the pen all cleaned up and life is good again. I know we needed the rain but to me it just means more work! Doesn't it seem like the "Dog Days of Summer" came early this year?? Everyone is getting the worst weather they can get right now, be it drought or floods!

Wish I had a nice garden but gee, I think I have a black thumb! We have a friend that gives us fresh salsa from his garden and it is sooooo good!

#8807 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

I forgot to tell you gentlemen that when I go to ShowLow, I stay in our motorhome. Love it! But you are right, it doesn't get used a whole lot and it's big and bulky so my sweet husband hauls it for me and parks it, etc. I know how to use everything in it, generator, hoses, propane, tip out, etc. but I sure don't like driving it. We have been thinking about getting a horse trailer with LQ but then my husband would have to get a newer bigger truck and he's not ready to let go of his precious Silverado yet, it's got over 300,00 miles on it!

#8808 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

Temperatures have tapered off some. We've had some nice breezes from the west. Had short rains three times this week all during the night, but not enough to satisfy the farmers. Rains have been spotty, falling at some places but not at others. Soybeans doing okay, but corn looking stressed. Here in Lambertville our lawn is doing okay as we have automatic sprayers that come on at certain times. The yard at our other place is dry and crunchy as you walk on it. One good thing is I don't have to cut grass there 'cause it isn't growing.

Hasta whevever :smileywavey:

Saddletramp

#8809 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

It sure is dry all over, not just in AZ! We had a lot of wind and dust this evening and a few sprinkles, not enough to cool anything down either. We planted 4 new trees this spring and we have been watering them every single day, it's just crazy and our water bill is sky high this summer! I can just imagine the grocery and feed prices here in another couple months!

#8810 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:51 AM

As I've mentioned before, my friends Bob and Kathy have a place in Apache Junction, but during the hottest part of the summer they stay somewhere up on the rim, which I take to mean the rim of the Grand Canyon. I would think that the electric bills down there for air conditioning would rival our gas bills here in the north for heating in the winter. But what do I know? But people tell me it's a dry heat down there. I bet HE double hockey sticks is dry heat too.

Saddletramp

#8811 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

Jack - you friends are very lucky to have a place up on the "rim" The rim is the Mogollon Rim a huge ridge or plateau that kind of separates the lower level of the state from the upper elevations of the northern part of the state. A massive shelf...and it is so beautiful up there with giant ponderosa pine forests, lakes and very cool weather. The Rim is about an hour and a half from Apache Junction and there is a large migration of people every summer. There are lots of cabins and small towns and settlements and resort type areas, the main towns being Payson, Strawberry, Pine, Heber and Overgaard. The Rim kind of cuts the state in half north and south and center to east side...with ShowLow the place I go to being on the way far northeastern side of the Rim. If you are driving north from Apache Junction, all the way to the Grand Canyon, you would cross the Rim about halfway through the trip. Make sense? You got it made if you have a second home on the Rim!!!

#8812 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:09 PM

The Mogollons? Seems I remember a poem called High Chin Bob or Tyin' Knots in the Devil's Tail. Seems it began "High up in the Mogollons....."

Edited by Jack Baumgartner, 24 July 2012 - 04:44 AM.

Saddletramp

#8813 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

If you'd like to read about High Chin Bob or Tyin' Knots in the Devil's Tail, just google High Chin Bob. That will take you to a site of cowboy poetry. The first poem was written by Badger Clark in 1915. Gail Gardner wrote Sierry Petes (Tyin' a Knot in the Devil's Tail) in 1917. It supposedly took place in the Sierra Prieta Mountains in Arizona. I think Gail Gardner was the grandfather of Marty Robbins. The poetry is accompanied by biographical sketches of the poets. Worth a look and I'll bet you'll be entertained.

Saddletramp

#8814 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

Jack - Thanks for the info and I definitely will check it out! My Mother told me a story about meeting Marty Robbins while she was tending bar in a little copper mining town about 35 miles east of here called Superior. Lots of history and stories around these parts, you should visit somemtime you would really fit right in!!!

#8815 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:50 AM

When I lived in Los Angeles, I met Pat Boone and his family in the parking lot for the big shots and people who worked for the company at a Dodgers home game. That's when they played at the Coliseum, before Dodger Stadium was built in Chavez Ravine. There had been a charity ballgame featuring show business people before the regular game started. I was there waiting for my brother to get through police roll-call. People who had box seats but wouldn't be at the game would send their tickets to the police at the police substation to give to friends and relatives. Anyway, Boone and his wife (Red Foley's daughter) were just like regular people, not pretentious or anything. I was told I had Jack Benny's box right over the dugout that night.

I also met Burl Ives and Harry Morgan (Colonel Potter on M.A.S.H.). That's when the latter was on the TV show Pete and Gladys. A guy we knew who had managed the Chateau Louise back here then had a bar in Santa Monica. We stopped in to see him and have few beers on a Sunday afternoon. He had once been in show business as a professional wrestler. A guy he knew came in and we were introduced. The guy said they would be starting to shoot the pilot for a possible TV series the next day at Desilu Studios. He told me to come down the next day and ask for him and he'd get me a pass to come and watch the shoot, but I didn't have my own wheels, so I didn't go. The pilot was a success and they had a show where he was a Navy Chief Petty Officer under Jackie Cooper. Funny, I can't remember the name of the show.

Saddletramp

#8816 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

Jack -I remember that show with Jackie Cooper and I also can't remember the name of it! You sure got around a bit back in the day! I never have been much of a rambler, I guess we just moved around too much when I was a kid....my dad worked in the oil fields and his job took us to a lot of places...of course I was so young I don't remember any of the good stuff. I wonder....do young men still leave home, work, travel and get to experience life in the same ways? I suppose they do, it's all relevent.

Keep you tales of adventures coming, you are pretty much all that is happening here in HC these days!

#8817 equicrzy

equicrzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,956 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

So, this is where you all hang out. I suppose I fit right in, the getting old part, anyway!

I really hate summertime, I guess I should have known better than to tell the husband I wanted to move back here from NM, we lived in Tucson for almost 20 years.....it's a good 20 degrees cooler at our NM place.

I know the places you talk about, Belle, I also LOVE Show Low, we go through there when we go to the other place.....the Pinetop/Lakeside area sure has grown! the first time we went through that way, it was just a small country type town, it's HUGE now, with big wide roads...more like highways, really and way too crowded, we have been going to Big Lake for more than 20 years and the changes are just astonishing. We go through Superior when we take 60 to Mesa.
Posted Image

#8818 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

Equi - when I first came to AZ in 69, the year I graduated...I lived in Superior as that's where my natural Mother was (long story) I lived there during my first marriage and then after my divorce I moved to Mesa. ShowLow has a Walmart, a Home Depot, a KMart....there is no separation any longer between ShowLow, Pinetop, and Lakeside....it all just grew together! I love it up there but it is getting crowded and way too touristy....watch out T your area is next! I guess when you drive out to NM you go the back way on 60, we came home from Ohio that way one time, beautiful country but so remote! We also went to Chaco Canyon 2 yrs ago....amazing place! The night sky is unbelieveable!!

Edited by BelleoftheBall, 27 July 2012 - 07:35 PM.

#8819 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:59 AM

I had quite a time in Tucson when I was seventeen. I'd gotten into it with my dad and hitchhiked a ride with my oldest brother,who was on his way to Tucson, to be stationned at Davis-Monthan Airbase. The idea was that I'd ride that far with him and then catch a bus to L.A. to visit another brother. When we got to Tucson, Bud told me the bus station was in a rough part of town so be careful. I got my bus ticket and it would be a couple of hours or so before my bus left, so Bud said we'd go to a bar. The bartender asked what we wanted and Bud said, "Budweiser." The bartender didn't ask me. I would have asked for Coca Cola, but he set two bottles of Budweiser on the bar. Bud said, "He probably thinks you're a young airman from the base, so drink up."

I was probably on my third or fourth beer when two beat cops walked in, twirling their nightsticks like batons. I guess it was a rough part of town if they patrolled in pairs! Bud told me to relax and keep drinking my beer. The cops had a bite to eat and left. Time went away and the birds sang. Holy cow, it was time to get to the bus station! I needed to use the urinal but the bus was ready to leave. I sat way in the back of that Scenicruiser. I was having pains all the way to Phoenix. When we got there, I was doubled over in pain. As I made my way off the bus, I discovered that there was a restroom right by the stairway! I used the facilities in the bus station. Heck, I didn't know much about buses.

Life is funny sometimes. :smileywavey:
Saddletramp

#8820 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:45 AM

Jack - you really did get around when you were a young man! Sounds like you had a great time in Tucson but all you saw was a bar!! I rode a bus all the way from the N.Dak. to Az and I also didn't know they had bathrooms on the bus. I got really car sick and the driver made me sit right by the bathroom just in case...it was awful!