#8611 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

Jack,

I find your interest in rebuilding old saddles interesting, so I got to ask a dumb question. Have you ever bought a old saddle just for useable parts on it? And while I'm asking questions, have ever heard of a brand of saddle called Red Ranger? When I got back into horses 28 years ago, the first saddle I bought was a Red Ranger saddle. I used it until the tree on it broke, & then traded it to a tack dealer for parts. I think he allowed me $15.00 for it on the purchase of another saddle. PD

The first time I ever saw a Red Ranger saddle it was in 1970 when a stable in the area was bought up by some people who were gung-ho about having a rental stable. The stable had catered to the English crowd, but this guy wanted to go western. A friend of his who "knew all about horses and stables" went out and bought a slew of Red Rangers and other items he might need. I sometimes see a Red Ranger offered for sale at an auction. Now the maker's mark is made up of two capital R's back-to-back. People just call it a Double R.

I was going to say I can't remember ever buying a saddle for parts, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea. Then I remembered buying a saddle that had leather all dried up and turned black. It has a good Ralide tree, so I bid $2.00 at an auction and got it. It's lying out in the barn at the old place.

Saddletramp

#8612 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,474 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

Just bumping this thread up, it was free falling onpage 2. This spring weather has kept me busy outside, cleaning up the dirt mother nature left behind from her winter party. Sometimes don't know where to start, so I saddled my horse & went for a short to give it some thought. Came back from my ride more relaxed, & I decided I'll have to go for a ride more often, & let some of the work slide. PD

#8613 The Bun

The Bun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

AS good an excuse you could have thunk up PD !!!
The Bun
I met a board buddy-- rwdodgerblue & ANDI

#8614 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,474 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

AS good an excuse you could have thunk up PD !!!

Bun, I've always heard that a poor excuse was better than no excuse!!!!!!!!!! I still don't have a better one. Love Ya, PD

#8615 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

A couple of friends, the Dale and Becky in my poem, Four More Miles and she the Mrs. Green in my poem When Erin Met The Goats invited me along to the horse auction at Shipshewana, Indiana today, one of the two busiest days they have there, the other being the day after Thanksgiving.

It was a pleasant ride out there, not having to drive. We caravanned with some other people, so it was nine people taking up some tables at a truck stop in Fayette, Ohio, for breakfast on the way there. The sale venue was a typical zoo, with so many people there that it was hard to walk through the crowd. Horses were sold in the sale ring/arena, and tack and all sorts of stuff were sold in a huge building out back. Down each side of the inside of the building were vendors selling all manner of things. Out in the middle rows of the building four or five auctioneers sold consigned goods such as tack, carts, boots and chaps, etc. Outside, the parking lot was peppered with vendors selling all sorts of things, mostly tack.

Over in one corner of the building they had a ring set up, where they auctioned new tack, and when that was sold, all the ponies consigned to the sale went through. Prices for horses and ponies were all over the place. One big pony that I figured was nearly fourteen hands tall only fetched $175.00. A mini went for over a thousand dollars. Go figure.

We went next door to an Amish store to pick up some things. I got some Amish Colby cheese, Canadian bacon and a couple of jars of coconut popcorn oil. It makes popcorn smell and taste like the kind you get at the movies. It says coconut oil on the label, but it's like a solid you spoon out of the jar.

Hasta whenever. :smileywavey:

Saddletramp

#8616 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,474 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

Jack, Glad you had a good day at the auction, & even better you got to go with a bunch of people that you could enjoy being with. Shipshewana must be one big auction, sounds like there was something there for everybody.

I spent my day running errands in town, & then going to get some hay, didn't need it real bad, but the price was right, only got 30 bales today, but I asked about a 100, I have to move some bales arounds if I'm going to fit a 100 in. Then cleaned up more old hay & manure, where I fed horses over the winter. Not a exciting day, but a relaxing one, & I actually accomplished something. later, PD

#8617 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

I almost forgot. I went to the monthly auction yesterday and took two saddles. One was the Mexican-made saddle that I picked up at Bowling Green for fifty dollars. It fetched $130. The other saddle was the one I bought at the local 4H horsemen's tack sale and swap meet for $75. It was decorated with chromed spots all around the edges and had a bridle and breast collar to match. It fetched $140. The Cordura saddle I picked up at Bowling Green I sold privately to my niece's daughter. She's sixteen and has the pony gene in the family. That horse-crazy kid was so tickled that I'd found a saddle with a 17" seat for her. I think I'll go through some of my horse items I'll no longer use and give them to her to help her get started collecting tack.

Saddletramp

#8618 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,474 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

Jack,

Good that you made some pocket change with a couple saddles at sale. Nice you have a neice that is horselover you can share some of your tack items with. With 7 grandkids I thought one would be a horselover, but so far interest is only in passing. The youngest is only 6 months old, so I suspose there might be some hope, but I'm not crazy about his dad, so I don't see him very often. PD

#8619 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

I have one 18 year old granddaughter that is horse crazy....however...she has severe asthma and can't be around the horses at all. The horse hair and grass dust just does her in. She breaks out in big red blotches and starts wheezing. We have tried medicating her but then she just gets loopy. No Fun! Sooooo, I guess that means I get my horse all to myself!

#8620 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

Jack, Glad you had a good day at the auction. Shipshewana must be one big auction, sounds like there was something there for everybody.

I've seen times when there were over seven hundred horses to be auctioned. One time when I was there they had over nine hundred. People come from several states to wheel and deal horses.
I once sold an old Canadian Hunter (24) that went to a gal who had a riding school in Chicago. He had jumped at Madison Square Gardens in his younger days. Funny, he was 17 hands and was broke both western and English. We called him Frenchy.

Saddletramp

#8621 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,474 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

Bell,

To bad your grandaughter has asthma, it would do a grandma to have a grandaughter ride with her. And 18 there is little chance she will out grow it. But they might up with a medication in time, that doesn't have as ,any bad sideeffects.

Jack, I had to find out just where Shipshewana was, it appears they are in a good location to attract buyers from all over. Location is everything in sales,

I worked up my garden this morning, I'm in no hurry to plant it, but I just wanted to turn some ground. Changed oil on my lawn mower, & sharpen the blades. Then it started raining & I quit, & now playing on here. PD

#8622 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,474 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

Just bumping this up, had a quiet day today, went out for breakfast with the neighbors, then came home & took it easy. PD

#8623 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

We had a pretty quiet Easter also. I got up early and took care of Belle, then I was tired so I went back to bed until 9 o'clock! My husband had coffee ready when I got up so I had a nice leisurely morning. Then we did some yard work and I cooked a ham and scalloped potatoes. Of course the girls called and wished us Happy Easter but other than that, very quiet and fairly relaxing.

#8624 Willy McCoy

Willy McCoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

Not much going on here either. It's cooled back off to normal for this time of year. We are helping Vickie's mom with a garden. She started out with "just a couple of rows for some tomatoes" and we're up to a dozen rows of tomatoes, peas, beans and corn. Did I mention that I joined the Navy at 17 to get off of a produce farm? I'm not a big fan of vegetable gardens.

The only one of my kids to have the horse bug is my youngest daughter who's going to college now. The others could care less about a horse and the local grandkids seem to not really care one way or another.

Got a new computer and had to find my way back here.

#8625 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

I haven't figured which saddles I'll take to next month's auction. The guy named Wilbur, who has bought several of my saddles, is getting so he watches for me to walk into the place. Then he follows me back out to my truck to see what I brought. A couple of women have begun taking notice of my saddles and one of them bought the other saddle I took last week.

The weather around here has gone back to a little cooler than it had been. Hope it didn't ruin the apple and peach crops. I wonder about morel mushrooms. They should be up around the end of April and beginning of May. My wife doesn't like them, so I give any I find to Fancy Paint.

Saddletramp

#8626 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

Found this over there >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>, about halfway down page 2. Where in the Wide World of Sports is everybody? Hope we didn't scare them away.
Saddletramp

#8627 The Bun

The Bun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

I think they are hanging around in the LOFT Jack LOL.... :rotf:

I have noticed a LOT of the people that use to be on this board has abandoned ship , I had a nice reply typed out and then it went into cyber space so didn`t feel like doing it again...and I didn`t remember what I had wrote any way LOL.... :questionicon: :rotf:

Not much happening here, been letting my cushings mare out at night to graze and so far things are going good, I have heard that it is better to let them graze at night as the sugars are down in the grass at that time, just get them off it before the sun comes up,

We are starting to get better weather , not so much rain...

Jack good to hear that your selling those saddles your fixing up , I am sure your work is well know all over the place and to get one that you have overworked has got to be a work of art and people know that...

I hope I get to use the new saddle I bought last yr more, IS not a well built saddle but is comfy, I finally got a saddle I really like and is comy for me after ALL these yrs. and now my knees are getting weak on me , so hope I can get on and off LOL...

We are planning on a trail ride next month , do hope I can get off and on the dang horse !!!!

With that said hope all is having a good day and a better weekend coming up ...!!!!
The Bun

#8628 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

BUN ~ What is the LOFT? Another web site? Curious minds want to know. I know there are a number of members, or former members of HC, who post on another board. To each his own, I say.

Edited by Jack Baumgartner, 13 April 2012 - 11:53 AM.

Saddletramp

#8629 The Bun

The Bun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

THE LOFT is like an attic in a home Jack....is another word used for ATTIC in other parts of the country .....

The Bun

#8630 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:41 AM

What the............?
Saddletramp

#8631 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,474 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

Howdy All,

I should have been posting here sooner, but I either come late at night when I'm tired, or in the morning when I should be accomplishing something outside. The sun is shining as I type. It seems we get a new person stop in here, & then seldom if they ever come back. I think many are looking, but don't know what they are looking for, but if they keep jumping around they'll never know when they find it.

Bun, Do hope you get a chance to use that new saddle, & when you do I hope you have a good ride. I'm not familiar with cushing disease, I do hope your mare has very little problems with it.

Jack, You take care, Later. PD

#8632 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

Good Morning!

We had some excitement at our house.....rattler time! One of my neighbor's stopped by the other day and told me he had seen a 3 ft rattler crawling up onto our property out by the horse corral. I hate snakes! So I put my highest boots on and went out and sprinkled some "Snake Away" powder all along the berm by the street. A couple of days go by and I'm tiptoeing out to the trash can and I hear it...THE RATTLE! Out of the corner of my eye I looked through the back yard metal gate and I see the neighbor's cat has it cornered against the back wall under the oleanders. Eeeeek! The cat is still as a statue and finally the snake lays down and the cat takes off....now what to do???? I call hubby and he says for me to stay there and watch it, he's on his way home. I'm crying and whining because I don't want to stay there and watch it. Hubby is protesting saying you have to because we need to know where it's at, we have little dogs! So I run in the house and grab the binoculars and a shovel and come out onto the back patio. Now I am about 60 ft away and I have a good view point. I zero in on him with the binocs and stand still.....he's just found a nice soft place in the shade and he's not moving. So here comes hubby, grabs the shovel....goes over there and bam! Decapitated! Dead rattler still moving and writhing without a body! Hubby takes it out across the street to the desert for the coyotes and vultures. The rattler was about 3 ft. long so we think it was the same one the neighbor saw a couple days before. All the time I am bopping around the yard, this guy is traveling nonchelantly across our 1 1/4 acres! I am so creeped out! I supposed all the critters are on the move, spring has sprung. I don't care if they pass on through, but if they decide to hang out for awhile or take up residence that is too much!

#8633 The Bun

The Bun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

PD Cushings is something dogs and people can get too...it effects the pituitary ? it quits working properly, there is NO cure for it in horses , you just have to treat it and try to get the pituitary to work like it is suppose to and keep your horse from going lame with lamanitis , sometimes the also get Insulin Resistance, so anything sugary is very bad for them.....

I can send you a site about it if you want to know, One of the signs is when your horse gets way too much hair/fur and dosn`t shed out good in the spring.....

Any way Sun is out here too today and Farrier is coming to do a trim on her feet...Enjoying the sunshine and the horses are too,

Hope every one is having a good day !!!
The Bun

#8634 Indianshuffler

Indianshuffler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

Hi all,
Holy cow Belle, Glad your rattler situation is taken care of, until the next one comes along. My hubby, and I have a deal, he takes care of the inside spiders, and I take care of the snakes, but I must admit that Michigan rattlers give me pause, or should I say, extra caution, too. Have had my share of times with blue racers. Not fun having them raise way up, and chase you when they get perturbed, yet I'd rather deal with them, then a ground nest of yellow jackets.
Our barn swallows showed up this week. I enjoy watching them in flight. Not enjoying getting back into the lawn mowing routine as I am having recurring pain in one arm. Our son went down to his sisters on resurrection Sunday weekend to help her build a horse shelter. I was dreading mowing lawn at the farm house he rents from us, but my hubby, who hates mowing, surprised me, bless him, and did it. I'm going down to farm sit later this month when she and her SO go on a long weekends vacation with his parents. Only get to see her a few times a year. Looking forward to seeing how much the colt has grown too.
There does seem to be less time, tired, late, busy, what not, to puter these days, or I just don't have much to say, but I'm still here.
Sally
People who will tell you the brutal truth when needed are keepers

#8635 Willy McCoy

Willy McCoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

I'm still in and out here. I got a new (to me) computer and have been trying to get it set up like I want it. I hate doing that stuff which is probably why I try to make one last as long as I can. The old one was 10 years old and starting to have hardware issues and it was old enough that parts were hard to find. A computer geek buddy of mine custom built this one and it didn't work out for the games he was wanting to play so he built a more powerful one and sold me this one cheap. For what I do with one, it's great.

Discovered that we have cockleburrs in the new pasture. Yesterday I picked a wad about the size of my fist of about 2 dozen of them out of Ruby's mane. That's not counting the several that were in there and not part of the wad. She stood there untied and let me pick them all out which I thought was pretty good of her. She must have rolled onto them. I guess I need to walk the pasture out and see if I can find them. Either that or be ready to pick them out some more.

I see a few of the people who used to be here on facebook. I mainly use that though to keep up with my kids that live out of state.

Glad to hear yall are doing well.

Rattlesnakes? I haven't seen one in years, but they tell me it's illegal to kill one in Tennessee. I practice the triple S theory on those. Shoot Shovel Shutup.

#8636 The Bun

The Bun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

I hear you Willy on the R snakes and the three S`s

When I lived om Fla. we had a pond on our property and a 3 foot gator got in there, well I went fishing for it and caught it and drug it out and was telling the Neighbor about it, and he says to me " YOU KNOW THEY ARE AN ENDANGERED SPECIES ?" and it is against the law to catch them.....I replied " YOU BETTER WELL DANG BELIEVE IT IS "ENDANGER" IF IT GETS IN MY POND !!!"

We took it to the river and turned it loose ....
The Bun

#8637 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

BUN ~ Your likening of an attic and a loft reminded me of a funny thing from my teenage years. I was hanging out with some friends when Junior Martin came by with his girlfriend. Someone asked where they were going. Junior said "To church," and they walked into the village of Lakewood, which was the southern half of our little town.

Later on we were walking along the lakefront and found them necking on a park bench someone had drug to the lake side of the village pumphouse, which supplied the summer cottages with water and was turned off during the cold months. From then on, whenever someone mentioned "church," we knew they were talking about the pumphouse. It became a favorite hangout.

Saddletramp

#8638 Willy McCoy

Willy McCoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

Not many gators here in Tennessee although I've heard tell of a couple. Down in SW Arkansas where I was raised, we had a few of them though. When we were about 16 or 17, my brother was bass fishing with a new lure that he had just bought and caught a 3 footer on rod and reel. He eventually got it to bank after quite the fight. When asked why he didn't just cut the line, he said that gator wasn't getting away with his new fishing lure. He got his picture in the paper over that one.

#8639 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,474 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:23 AM

Bun,

I think if I had a 3 foot gator get in my pond, I would try to do just what you did, REHOME IT. Sometimes you just can't obey the full extent of the law, common sense has to rule.

It was cold rainy & windy here today, & tempwas in the 30s all day, never heard what wind chill temp was. Ran some errands in town, & stopped by my favorite hardware store, I'm now adding new items to my Wish List!! Later PD

#8640 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

Willy - I love your 3 S theory! My husband is from Florida originally and he has lots of alligator stories....eeek! I am so glad we don't have those here in AZ.

PD - I am going to Best Hardware this morning! I can always find things to buy there. One of my favorites is the dollar aisle. Scoops, sponges, brushes, nets, all kinds of doodads! They have an extendable lopping shears for tree trimming there that I really want. And I have to buy another leaf rake just like the one I use around the pen....hubby keeps carrying mine off to use around the yard....chaps my hide when I can't find it!!