Quantcast

Photo

Gift help. Christmas ideas to send to Afghanistan.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sweetaddiction

Sweetaddiction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:53 PM

I've been trying to come up with good stuff to send over to Scott in Afghanistan. He doesn't want anything that he has to bring back - or if he does have to bring it back it has to be small.
(he should be back Feb/Mar).

So far I did send him a very nice watch (that he needed when he first got there) and a tiny fancy camera for his birthday.

For Christmas I sent his favorite chocolates, some of the smoked cheese/sausage/cracker things you get, some fancy hot chocolate (I've been keeping him swimming in coffee).

Les - I just can't send anything I shouldn't. I'm not scared of getting caught - but I just can't and he really can't take the chance either. [Wink] I know what a party pooper right. [Razz]

I sent a small Christmas tree when he was in Bosnia - but he said he doesn't want one this time.

So does anybody have any other ideas? I wanna do something special but I really have no idea what I could do that would be cool/special.

#2 awyontv

awyontv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:08 PM

I just sent my son's Christmas gifts to him in Iraq. I really didn't know what to send, either. But, walking thru the mall the other day I saw this kid playing with a remote control frisbee sort of thing. I thought that would be perfect! I want him to have something he can just goof off with. I'm pretty sure he will love it. I showed it to my younger son (he is 22) & he really liked it. (so guess what he is getting for his birthday - yep the frisbee thingy, too)

I also am sending some cushioned insoles (he has trouble with his feet sometimes) & some candy.

I would say - send him something he can just have fun with - and not so expensive he will feel guilty if he breaks it or leaves it for someone else to play with when he leaves.

#3 Sweetaddiction

Sweetaddiction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:26 AM

That sounds like a good idea, I've seen those. Thank you!
BTW when is he due back?

Bump this up for the morning crowd and see if anyone's got any good ideas. [Big Grin]

#4 Forever in Blue Genes

Forever in Blue Genes

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:54 AM

We just put together a package for someone in Iraq. We included:

White socks
Bug Repelent Wipes
Hand Sanitizer
Anti Bacterial Wipes
Q-Tips
Vaseline
Gum
Hard Candy
Baby Powder
Copenhagen

I went to the sample size area in Target and was able to pick up lots of goodies. Our recipent can share if he likes! These are some of the items we saw on a list of things that are needed. They are light and travel well.

Hope this helps!

#5 LongingtoRun

LongingtoRun

I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:59 AM

My brother loves to get magazines of all kinds, stuff on trucks and sports and 4x4's, etc. When he is done with them, he can pass them around and they can just leave them behind. [Confused]

Also if any of the guys have a portable DVD player with them, he likes to get those cheapy movies that the grocery stores sell just so they have something new to watch.

[ 12-07-2006, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: LongingtoRun ]

#6 Sweetaddiction

Sweetaddiction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:14 PM

That's a good idea LTR. Maybe I can find him some neat mags. I've been sending his normal ones every week.
I wish I could send his Playboys. But I have kept them all nice and unopened for when he gets back. Hopfully, he'll be too distracted by other things to get to those when he first comes back. [Wink]
Honestly he's pretty **** spoilt where he's at. He's on a big base. He says the food is excellent. I've kept him in coffee, mags, newpapers, chocolate, his fav. tv shows. He's either really good about not complaining (other than just the sheer volume of work) or the worst thing for him is not being home and he doesn't have much down time. He's not a big complainer anyway.
I will use ALL these ideas, thank you for posting them.
Of course, bad wife that I am. He said to me about a week ago: "I've got your anniversary present, it's been sitting here, I just haven't had time to get it out"
Anniversary? Oh man...I forgot. [Duh] (it's Saturday). [Big Grin] [Embarrassed]

#7 HorseLes

HorseLes

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:15 PM

I did send a portable DVD player and movies (I even sent the carrying case)

Heck give me his address, I will send the bottle of rum (or whisky or wine whatever he likes lol) [Wink] [Big Grin]

Frank was happiest with food items and vitamins.

Squirt guns or a rubber band gun and a huge bag of rubberbands.

I'm drawing a blank right now.

#8 Sweetaddiction

Sweetaddiction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by HorseLes:

Heck give me his address, I will send the bottle of rum (or whisky or wine whatever he likes lol) [Wink] [Big Grin]

You're so sweet - he has to set the example. [Razz]
(Like I said - spoilt - he already has a laptop that plays dvds. And some clever sole over there made it possible to link in to a main computer and they have LOADS of movies).

Now the gun idea!! That's brilliant. I'll have to send a few so he can share.

#9 Avriel

Avriel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:27 PM

Folks tend to forget that it gets bitter cold in the Middle East in winter. My soldier sons have always appreciated things like glove liners, silk or thermal long johns. It may sound mundane, but a warm soldier is a happy soldier.

- Avriel

#10 Sweetaddiction

Sweetaddiction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:35 PM

Silk long johns. Now that's a good idea. He left a lot of the cold weather issue here. He says he doesn't want it. But silk long johns wouldn't be bulky (like the issue stuff) and I know it's been snowing there.
I did send an electric blankie. [Razz]
I'm getting quite a good list now. [Not Worthy]