Quantcast

Jump to content

Photo

Kerosene...


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Skippen

Skippen

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,859 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:43 AM

I don't know if I spelled that right, but can kerosene fumes make you sick?

As in if you run a kerosene heater outside to thaw water lines, but the smell, fumes are coming into the camper?

I was just wondering if any of you had any experience with kerosene? [Smiley Wavey]

#2 quarterpaint

quarterpaint

    I am...

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Texas

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:11 AM

it's been a long time since I delt with those but yes you can. Just like any other fuel using heaters. even from propane.

I would try other methods for your pipes. try getting pipe insulation and wrap them.

I don't trust those types of heaters I have seen some "blow up" and have seen fires from things getting put on them or stuff falling onto them then catching fire. If it's outside underneath just be careful of wind blowing leaves or something into it and it catching fire. Don't want that to happen. Never leave them unatended. Now this is just me but I wouldn't go to sleep with one of those on for fear of fumes or something falling on it. But that's just MY fears.

QP

#3 Skippen

Skippen

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,859 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:19 AM

Well, the reason I was asking was that when our water line freezes up outside the camper, my hubby uses a kerosene heater to unfreeze them...he has the heater covered with black plastic ...

no problem other then the fumes seem to enter the camper and I told him numerous times that they make me sick. I have a major headache right now after the heater running for about 5 hours, with the fumes entering the camper!

The water lines froze up this morning and we had the heater running to unfreeze them, coming home from work, I could still smell the residue and now tonight we had to run it again and I am just about sick to my stomach.

#4 quarterpaint

quarterpaint

    I am...

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Texas

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:36 AM

Oh please be careful. Now when you said hubby has plastic on it, it's not "ON" the heater but around the camper to keep the heat in right????

Open up the windows some to let the fumes out. if you have a vent on top open that. Gotta do something I know to keep the pipes from freezing but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be careful.

#5 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

    Horse Maid

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,130 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Hibbing, MN

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:58 AM

Yes, kerosene heaters can be dangerous. They MUST be used only in well ventilated areas...never indoors where people are unless it's very well ventilated.

In your case, the fumes coming into the camper will make you sick. Please be careful.

[ 02-17-2007, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Wild Rose ]

#6 Bend N Flex

Bend N Flex

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts
  • Location:The Greenest Side of The Fence

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:02 AM

Dude! Did you ever get ahold of my dad? He's a pro at the "thaw those frozen water lines."

What little I saw of it one year...he was under the house with a blow torch and being very careful not to melt anything. Lots of banging & hammering & muttering involved.

If you've tried to reach him with no response....I'd say he's got his dang junk mail filter working overtime.... [Confused]

#7 Bend N Flex

Bend N Flex

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts
  • Location:The Greenest Side of The Fence

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:04 AM

Here's a thought....send questions to my email (you have it I think?) then I'll forward it on to him. That should get the process rolling if there has been a techno matter. [Big Grin]

#8 Skippen

Skippen

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,859 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:15 AM

Thanks guys,

No, the plastic isn't directly on the heater, but around the area where it's frozen with the heater underneath, no plastic touching!

I totally understand that he wants it thawed out and believe me after two days of not being able to shower, I do to!

It's just a matter of being able to put up with the fumes and I can for a while, but then it gets to be to much!

Bend N Flex, I'll send you a PM. [Smiley Wavey]

#9 2pacers

2pacers

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:NJ

Posted 17 February 2007 - 07:42 PM

kerosene fumes can make you sick. You can try cross ventilation in your trailer. Also make sure you are burning the right kind of kerosene, the "clean" kind is made for kerosene heaters and doesnt have as bad a smell as the reg kind, and you are supposed to burn down the wick periodically or else you will get poor burning and more fumes. We used to use one and I always got a headache and every year I got bronchitis/pnemonia from it, too.

#10 QTime

QTime

    Trying to hang on....

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,858 posts
  • Location:Maine

Posted 17 February 2007 - 07:47 PM

Be careful with the carbon monoxide issues also. It sounds like he has the heater enclosed and fumes are leaking into the camper, which could included lots of carbon monoxide which can cause headache and nausea. If any question, vent out the camper.

#11 Skippen

Skippen

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,859 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 17 February 2007 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for all your advice, I wasn't sure if I had a ground to stand on when I was talking about the fumes. I just know that I feel sick everytime that darn thing gets turned on!

Thanks guys. [Smiley Wavey]