Quantcast

Photo

Can drinking too much Gatorade hurt you?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pintobeans

pintobeans

fart face

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,589 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:25 AM

Since I work outside at the stable and it's been over 100 degrees every day the past like three weeks, I've been drinking a lot of Gatorade, and it helps me a lot...Well yesterday was really bad, and I had two of the 24 fl oz bottles, and two of the 32 fl oz. Which means I had over 100 fl oz of Gatorade yesterday. Around eight, my stomach started cramping, and at three this morning, I woke up with really bad stomach cramps. I thought I was just hungry, so I ate something to see if that would help. It kind of did, but this morning, I'm still cramping. I'm just wondering if maybe it's from the Gatorade. I have some friends who say the stuff hurts their stomach and they have to water it down. Ughhhh and I have to work like this today [Frown] lol...

#2 HeartFeltFarm

HeartFeltFarm

Sweet & Innocent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,515 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:34 AM

Yowch. That's a lotta Gatorade.

From my experience, you should do everything in moderation. I would think over 100 oz of ANYTHING like that would hurt your stomach. That's way over the moderation limit.
Did you do anything different yesterday? I mean besides drinking so much of it?

Did you know you can even overdose on Vitamin C? I've been told my whole life you can't...newp, you sure can!

#3 LMK1975

LMK1975

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:50 AM

I have been hearing recently that you should alternate water and gatoraide. Like two bottles of water to one bottle gatoraide. You can get sick from drinking too much water, I don't know if it's the same for gatoraide. Your liver can shut down. They say it's from the water stripping your body of all the salt and other vitamins and minerals and that's why it happens. Gatoraide will replenish those minerals. That's why you should alternate. Maybe you have too many minerals. Maybe drink some plain water to see if it will wash some out of your system. If it's too bad, I would go to the doctor though. I have heard of several poeple who's liver had shut down. But that was after drinking too much water.

I hope you feel better!

#4 Rockinrider

Rockinrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:31 AM

When I was working at the barn in 90*s to 100*s I also would drink a lot of Gatorade. I also started to get stomach aches. I talked w/a friend of mine about it (he's a general practitioner) He said Gatorade is full of sugar, salt and potassium. There is no magnesium. Sugar depletes the body of magnesium as well as sweating. One main symptom of magnesium deficiency is cramping. Salt as everyone knows plays a part in high blood pressure, strokes, circulatory system problems.

Potassium is both an electrolyte and a mineral. It helps keep the water (the amount of fluid inside and outside the body's cells) and electrolyte balance of the body. Potassium is also important in how nerves and muscles work.

Potassium levels often change with sodium levels. When sodium levels go up, potassium levels go down, and when sodium levels go down, potassium levels go up. Potassium levels are also affected by a hormone called aldosterone, which is made by the adrenal glands.

A potassium level that is too high or too low can be serious. Abnormal potassium levels may cause symptoms such as muscle cramps or weakness, nausea, diarrhea, frequent urination, dehydration, low blood pressure, confusion, irritability, paralysis, and changes in heart rhythm. Thus the problem that can occur with an excessive consumption of Gatorade.

You should try drinking mineral water, apple juice, grape juice ect. Today, I drink sparkling mineral water mixed w/the juices and I haven't had the problem since.

Hope I could be of help to you!? [Huggy]

#5 Bend N Flex

Bend N Flex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:56 AM

I am embarrassed that I cannot provide the details of information on a study that was done. All I can do is tell you what I can remember....and it is hazy. [Embarrassed]

My father was health and safety rep for the mine that he worked at. They did a HUGE study on gatoraide, the effects on the body...versus drinking water.

His exact words were "don't drink that stuff!" It was found that it did not replenish fluids in the body as just plain water does. It sends potassium levels extremely high which can be dangerous.

I can get the exact results of this testing if you are interested. It'll take me a few days, but if you want it, I will ask for the stats and exact findings.

But every time he saw a bottle of the stuff here, he'd go on a rant about how we should not drink it. Personally, I hate the taste of it, so it's not an issue with me.

If anyone is interested in that study....I'll gather the info for you. [Smiley Wavey]

#6 westernpleasurepunk

westernpleasurepunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:03 AM

I agree with the other posters and also have another 2 cents to throw in. My friend used to drink a LOT of gatorade because she felt it was better than pop.(to some extent it is)
She ended up going into a primecare facility and having her stomach x-rayed etc because of severe stomach pain. They concluded that she has an inflamed stomach lining and that it could very well be from too much gatorade and/or other drinks that are acidic. Now she's on a three week diet of "bland" foods and drinks and is keeping a food journal. She has a check up at the beginning of next week I believe.
I'd suggest more water and less gatorade! [Smiley Wavey]

#7 Foxie

Foxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,374 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:51 AM

If you cannot down plain water, check into some of the flavored waters (IE, propel, vitamin water, etc).

Too much sodium can lead to many health problems later down the road.

[ 08-23-2007, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Foxie ]

#8 pintobeans

pintobeans

fart face

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,589 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:07 PM

Oh wow! I had no idea! Thanks so much everyone. I love water and can drink it all day long...it's my favorite drink. But in this heat, I just don't feel like it does anything other than get my throat wet. I'm still thirsty after I finish a whole bottle. And I'm not a big fan of Propel; the taste leaves me still thirsty.

I do drink in moderation. It's just that I'm out there for roughly ten to eleven hours every day, in that blasted heat, and I'm thirsty all the time. lol.

[ 08-23-2007, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: +pintobeans ]