44 replies to this topic

#1 hästflicka

hästflicka

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,674 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:36 PM

Tonight when I got up to the barn for the late night check (I just got back) it was 52*F in the barn. Breyer was happily waiting for his treat, feeling just fine... Breyer is body clipped and thought the temperature in the barn, with all doors closed, was just fine.
Michico is not body clipped, but wholly as a shetland. He has a very thick winter coat, soft as a rabbit, but thick. He was just about to start to shiver. [Roll Eyes] You know, when you put your hand on the neck you feel a few tremors, then a pause, them a few more tremors... Just before the REAL shivering starts. [Roll Eyes]
Does anyone else have a wuss?

#2 ExtraHannah

ExtraHannah

Chief Stall Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:39 PM

52?? LOL! Nope, none of mine are that wussy about cold! I haven't blanketed yet this year and it's been in the mid 20's several times here.

Rommie won't go out in the rain though. At least not without a fight. She won't even walk out of her stall and into her run to her normal poop pile if it is sprinkling. I'm not sure quite how the mare survived in The Netherlands. [Confused]

#3 cowgurlup1983

cowgurlup1983

NMCowgurl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:40 PM

well i thought magic could handle it but he got so cold he coliced on me monday night so now i have to blanket him

#4 Mudder

Mudder

Keeper of the Wooden Spoons

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,500 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:42 PM

[Shocked] He is a wussy boy!! It's been -35F here and my boys are still outside, altho they would have gone in without much coaxing if I'd asked them. [Wink] [Big Grin] They usually let me know when they want in. They hang out by the corner of the front pasture where I park my school bus. Shorty will holler loud enough that you can hear him in the house. That's my cue. [Confused]

#5 hästflicka

hästflicka

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,674 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:45 PM

Ouch Cowgurl, the awful C word. [Surrender] I'm glad he's better.
I blanket both of mine. In the barn. LOL.

LOL Extra, indeed, how did she survive the Netherlands? Except of course, horses are inside MUCH more in Europe than here... maybe she was taught that was how it's supposed to be. The Queen resides inside in the least bit of bad weather? [Wink]

#6 ExtraHannah

ExtraHannah

Chief Stall Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hästflicka:

LOL Extra, indeed, how did she survive the Netherlands? Except of course, horses are inside MUCH more in Europe than here... maybe she was taught that was how it's supposed to be. The Queen resides inside in the least bit of bad weather? [Wink]

Well, that is certainly what she has decided, but it's not from her past. I have a friend that is familiar with the farm she came from. The horses there stay out all the time, except near foaling. Then, they are in all the time for the last month or so.

She seems to have decided that at our much more civilized farm, that properly appreciates her, she should be able to choose when to be in and when to be out. I do cater to her. She stays in her stall/run combo if it rains. [Roll Eyes] Otherwise, I just get to watch her trying to break her fool leg running the fence in the mud and screaming like there's a lion latched onto her back.

OK, now it's my turn. Off to do evening stables. I'll bet it's waay colder in my barn than 52!

#7 DixieQueen

DixieQueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:56 PM

My QH gelding is a super-wuss. His coat doesn't get long at all. I have to throw a blanket on him, esp. when it is going to be a cold rain or worse. What I hate is when I don't pay attention to the weather forecasts, and find out on the morning that it is chilly wet weather and have to catch and blanket him in the rain. ICK. Not fun. But I can't stand to see him shiver and besides, it knocks weight off fast to let him do that. I like to keep the weight ON so I do what I can. Even if it means wading through slop and raindrops in the cold. I don't currently have a run-in stall. Hubby has it all tore up and blocked off and hasn't gotten around to finishing it. [Mad]

#8 Sweetaddiction

Sweetaddiction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:57 PM

wow it's like 20s here. And I haven't even really begun to feel the cold.
Magic is blanketed because of being worked. Plus he is one STINKY dirty horse. Ewww. At least his blankey keeps him cleaner.

#9 illinois racer

illinois racer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:59 PM

Mine are pretty darned tough. I have seen my babies standing out in a snow storm when they have perfectly good barn AND shelter to be under.

I make sure they have access to a round bale of hay and warm water 24/7, as well as shelter. I guess they have plenty of winter fur!

#10 hästflicka

hästflicka

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,674 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:00 PM

If it rains so he gets wet Michico shivers when it's in the 60s. [Roll Eyes] What can I say? He's my Latin male, all show and fire. [Razz]

[ 11-28-2007, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: hästflicka ]

#11 ExtraHannah

ExtraHannah

Chief Stall Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:03 PM

quote:
If it rains so he gets wet Michico shivers when it's in the 60s. [Roll Eyes] What can I say? He's my Latin male, all show and fire. [Razz]

[Big Grin] I guess so, but he's so sexy, you don't hold it against him right?? I often tell Rommie it's a good thing she's pretty.

Oh and I'm back. I made it quick. It was 41 in my barn and not a shiver to be seen!

#12 DixieQueen

DixieQueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:06 PM

Whew, EH thanks for not lettin me fall down on the way back & forth to the barn *snicker*

j/k

Our bay gelding gets a coat like a furry pony. I have often said he has pony in him. He is small, only 14HH...but he has the rough gait of a pony, tough feet, easy keeper...like a pony!

Our pony pony is a Shetland mix and he looks like a wooly mammoth! I've never seen either him or the bay shiver. Ever. My QH gelding will be shivering his tail off and they are all cozy under their thick hair. I feel sorry for my big guy!

#13 Jacks

Jacks

Bahhh humbug

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,020 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:10 PM

My old man is a wimp all around. Just a BIG wimp.

I don't think the mares care...

Lucky WILL care...He's kind of more weather intolerable, just like dad. And he's going to care even more once I'm done bodyclipping him...

Boys? Brave?

Not in this neighborhood lol

#14 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:57 PM

My boy doesn't grow a winter coat hardly at all, I mean not even fuzzy. He gets cold more so when it's wet then just a bit chilly. He's been wearing his blanket for about a week now with the rain we've had and the temp drops, he'd colic for sure without it! He does like his blanket too, I went to take it off today to groom and he kept trying to get back under it, silly boy!

You can see his hair in this pic or lack of hair. [Wink]
 -

#15 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,384 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:14 AM

My horses like Mudder's are out 24/7, they have been out in beloe 0 weather. It is wet snows and rains, that chill them more, as that can soak right to the skin. But cold weather, with dry coat of hair, there is no telling what they can handle. PD

#16 Tuckaway

Tuckaway

Dog Whisperer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,492 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:15 AM

Bo has always looks like a fuzzy shetland.
Amber on the other hand.Does not grow a much of a coat.Her hair is thin and not wooly. She shivers at freezing. I blanket her when it gets down around that

[ 11-29-2007, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Tuckaway ]

#17 audrey-mae

audrey-mae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,468 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:16 AM

When its dry I dont ever find mine cold. Its when its 32.5 degrees and sleeting that they shiver in. I bring them in when it gets that nasty.

#18 AKPonyGirl

AKPonyGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:21 AM

I'm with Mudder. [Big Grin]

Last November the temps dropped to -40* for the lows and -20* for the highs for a solid month. I fed more hay more often. The horses grew thick, fuzzy coats. I didn't blanket anyone.

This year I have a 24 year old Appy that is a little thinner than I would like him to be this time of year. I blanketed him in the freezing rain at 28*F we had the other night. I don't know if HE felt better but I sure did.

#19 HoofsinMotion

HoofsinMotion

Invisible Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:41 AM

My horses are not the wusses, I am!!

I am way to lazy to put on blankets.

Mine do just fine without, never had a problem. We had a big ice storm last January, they would not even go under trees or in the barn because of all the branches falling down.

But I have noticed this year they have way more hair.. So that makes me kind of wonder what temps. we are in for this winter.

#20 Ann Wheeler

Ann Wheeler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:47 AM

-15 below..dry nsow ,no wind sun is out..they stand by the barn tin, sun's heat radiates of it.
Sleet, ice storm, wet heavy snow,get chilled they go in the barn, give them extra hay, rub them down..
they are fine.

#21 StarMom

StarMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,230 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:30 AM

It gets to -20 here for about 2 weeks during the winter.
Star is outside 24/7.
I have yet to go to her and plunge my fingers into her fur and not feel her so warm and cozy.
No shivers.

Maybe it's the Morgan in her. [Big Grin]

I'm afraid of what might happen if I ever tried to put a blanket on her, after seeing what she can do to a fly mask! [Eek!]

#22 LongingtoRun

LongingtoRun

I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:12 AM

Does this make me a bad mom?
 -

-

#23 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,312 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:18 AM

LTR, you bad mom, you! Seriously, though, your horses look like mine some winters...deep in snow and happy as clams! ...why do they say clams are happy?.... [Question]

Anyway, I read where horses are more polar animals than tropical. They can stand temps down to 60 below zero if they have a full winter coat and do not get wet.

I have gone out to feed my guys when it's 40 below zero. They look at me with frost covered eyelashes and whiskers and say, "Kind of nice out, huh?" [Big Grin]

#24 Gacowgirl-2006

Gacowgirl-2006

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:23 AM

We don't blanket our horses till it gets in the teens here in Ga. The mares like to hang out in the barn, but the geldings don't seem to mind the cold or wet. My 2 mares don't like to get wet.

#25 hästflicka

hästflicka

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,674 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:43 AM

quote:
I read where horses are more polar animals than tropical. They can stand temps down to 60 below zero if they have a full winter coat and do not get wet.
Try to convince Michico about that [Wink]

If he didn't have a thick long winter coat I would understand, but he's wholly like a mammoth. [Crazy] Since he's clearly uncomfortable it doesn't matter that he SHOULD handle it, I accept that he's my weird child and blanket him when he needs it. [Roll Eyes]

Oh, and he does have hay, he doesn't always finish it... he's really picky with feed in general.

#26 La. can chaser

La. can chaser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,429 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:46 AM

Shivering at 52 degrees. [Shocked] Poor thing. My horse has a pretty good winter coat and a nice barn yet he stands in the rain with it in the 30s and windy and so far has not acted too cold. He will come in long enough to dry off and eat some feed and his hay and back out in the rian he goes. Drives me nuts to see him so wet when it is cold. He has a rincoat but absolutely will not wear it. [Bang Head]

#27 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:52 AM

Up here in NY it can get down to the single digits at night. I don't clip nor do I blanket. Why mess up what mother nature has created. Sometimes in the muddy season a sheet to keep'em a little cleaner! Give them a run in shed, hay & water let them be horses.

#28 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,312 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:23 AM

La., just like a little kid, huh? He has a raincoat, but will not wear it! [Razz]

Hast, poor Michico! I think he's your dear, sweet, whussy boy, alright!

#29 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:26 AM

quote:
quote:
I read where horses are more polar animals than tropical. They can stand temps down to 60 below zero if they have a full winter coat and do not get wet.
Try to convince Michico about that [Wink]

If he didn't have a thick long winter coat I would understand, but he's wholly like a mammoth. [Crazy] Since he's clearly uncomfortable it doesn't matter that he SHOULD handle it, I accept that he's my weird child and blanket him when he needs it. [Roll Eyes]

Oh, and he does have hay, he doesn't always finish it... he's really picky with feed in general.

LOL Yep, I don't think Storm is convinced he should like the cold either. Course he doesn't get fuzzy so he doesn't have the natural insulation to keep him warm. I honestly believe Storm would love to be a stall pony. He loves to bed down in nice fluffy bedding. He has made a bed out of his hay before instead of eating it. He'll get to be a stall pony when I get my barn built, though only over night and when its really cold and wet. I'd prefer not to have to blanket, but refuse to see him shiver so bad he nearly falls over.

#30 WarPony

WarPony

Teeny Tiny Equine Of DOOOM!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,598 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Wild Rose:

I have gone out to feed my guys when it's 40 below zero. They look at me with frost covered eyelashes and whiskers and say, "Kind of nice out, huh?" [Big Grin]

Same here. They look at me like I have lost my mind wearing 14 layers of clothes with a snow suit over it. They get stuck in the barn at night but only to protect them from roaming dogs, unless it is wet. Even then they have SOOOO much hair it takes a lot of water to get through their hair to their skin. Most of it just rolls off them like water off a ducks back.