#1 BethanyW

BethanyW

At Peace With My Inner Snark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 04:29 PM

1. No sick days, no benefits.

2. Horrible pay for the 9 months a year you can work.

3. NO guarantee of work at all.

4. If you manage to get a gig, you'll just get comfortable and organized and will be told they finally hired a teacher. This will happen a couple of times a year till you're sick of it and don't take anymore jobs.

5. When they hire a teacher, it will be one fresh out of school that will look down on you because you a.) aren't a "real" teacher and b.) aren't doing it "right". Said teacher will also paw through your personal things and steal expensive teaching materials.

6. You are still responsible for completing the same amount of work as the contract teachers, yet will never be paid for it.

7. And if you manage to get your students to do well, show improvement and learn you will be told that it was all wrong and have someone who has never done it proceed to tell you why you are, in fact, stupid.

8. The parents will whine that the reason their child isn't doing well is because the sub doesn't know what they are doing. Never mind that their child is lazy. Also all parents will make a beeline for the principal when they find out, because after all it would punish them to have to learn from a sub.

9. Your grades will be changed, and frequently by someone who has never set foot in your classroom. Because the parents claim you hate their child. Never mind that if you truly hated them, you'd pass them just to get rid of them.

Why I love being a Substitute Teacher:

The look on the face of a child who has learned something and is glad of it.

Sorry for the vent. Sometimes it just has to come out. [Embarrassed]

#2 onedaysoon

onedaysoon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 04:37 PM

Aww Bless your soul. [Huggy] [Huggy]

#3 equi-librium

equi-librium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:28 PM

i do not envy your job at all. i would sooo bring spankings back if i was EVER to become a teacher.. i cant stand bratty kids... i dont know how people could WANT to teach other people kids.. its beyond me..

i totally commend you for you patience!

[Huggy] [Huggy] [Huggy]

#4 craftylady

craftylady

Paint Gal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:11 PM

[Huggy] Kudos for doing a difficult job! My husband was a sub for a few yrs. I understand where you're coming from.

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:13 PM

Aw Bethany....you're an awesome teacher, I KNOW it! BUT I understand your explanation of frusturations. [Huggy] [Huggy] [Huggy] for you.

Hang in there.

#6 dgRuffian

dgRuffian

Ruff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:32 PM

I subbed for few years....hated it. There were some schools where I refused to go back to sub because the kids were so nasty. But I know what you mean about the teachers saying you did it all wrong. I covered for a teacher who was gone on maturnity leave and she complained that I did not cover enough material but what I did cover they knew well. But she was pissed that she would not be able to finish the book by the end of the year. I did get a teaching job but out of the state I earned my certification from.

[ 12-15-2007, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: dgRuffian ]

#7 Highlandlass

Highlandlass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:17 PM

[Huggy] [Huggy]

My uncle was a public school teacher for 20+ yrs. He hated his job at the end. You guys have more patience then I do.

#8 elfinbien

elfinbien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:47 PM

I subbed for years and I'm now going to school to be a teacher. What I hate the most is when I explain that I was a substitute teacher for 5 years and people go "So you have no real teaching experience then?" [Mad]

#9 hästflicka

hästflicka

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,704 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:13 PM

I hear you loud and clear. I too have subbed... not a fun job most of the time. [Huggy] [Huggy] [Huggy]

#10 dgRuffian

dgRuffian

Ruff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:11 PM

Highlandlass - I feel your Uncle's pain. I am in my 18th year and this is the first year where I find I am short with the students, impatient and not as enthused as I should be. I always have my students evaluated me and one commented that I do not mask my "you have got to be kidding me" look when they answer a question with a ridiculous answer. I am making efforts to get re-energized because I do not want to end up as one of those bitter teachers who should have quit 10 years ago.

#11 Tuckaway

Tuckaway

Dog Whisperer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,497 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:22 PM

This is my 8th year of subbing.
Good things to being a sub.
If I do not want to work tomorrow I do not have to.
I do not have to take classes I do not want.
Making a child smile and giving hugs.To kids that might not get one that day. [Wink]

#12 hästflicka

hästflicka

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,704 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:09 PM

LOL, I was a sub for a couple of years ...but a full time teacher for a godzillion of years. Being the teacher was really god in giving hugs. I loved that part of it. When, and where, I subbed you wouldn't be called back if you didn't take pretty much what they called you in for... You could limit between elementary and high school... and if you didnt' like what you were called for and said so they would only call for the odd job a few times a year. Sometimes you'd get lesson plans so detailed that it pretty much outlined when you could breath, and sometimes there were no lesson plans at all. It wasn't easy, but I was glad I had subbed every time I had a sub in my classroom.
I'm missing working with kids and have contemplated to sign up as a sub here, but I think this post reminded me about the life of a sub and I better not. [Razz]

#13 BethanyW

BethanyW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:19 PM

It's not really all that bad. But parts of it do bite, big time. I suppose no more than any other job though.

I am mainly a long term sub. Something about the fact that I was one of three willing to do it and had oodles of experience with the students in question. I am just coming out of my second assignment like this of the year.

The hugs part of the job is probably the best part. Along with the lightbulb look when they finally get it. I love those parts and they are what keep me coming back every day.

Never mind the fact that I spend half my pay on things for the classroom.

Never mind that I would actully make more money flipping burgers AND I would have medical coverage there.

I think I was just upset that yet again they have hired someone who saw fit to tell me just how stupid I really was.

I hope she's half as good as she thinks she is.

And I pray she is for the student's sake.

To all the educators past and present, you are appreciated. I appreciate your hard work, even if it seems that not many do. [Not Worthy]

#14 hästflicka

hästflicka

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,704 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:06 PM

Bethany, through the years as a classroom teacher I begged, pleaded, bribed, and tried to bully people like you to sub for me when I was out. [Razz] The hardest part was that i KNEW that my kids would act up and I KNEW it mostly was out of frustration if the teaching style was too different when a sub stepped into my room. [Huggy] It's not an easy job, but the best part of being a sub is that you get to know all the kids on campus and eventually they all come running when you walk out on the playground. [Huggy]

#15 BethanyW

BethanyW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:17 PM

quote:
...the best part of being a sub is that you get to know all the kids on campus and eventually they all come running when you walk out on the playground.
There is that. And it is cool to have so many fans. [Wink]

And it's always nice to be able to step out there and get your hug fill of the day.

They really are nifty short people.

#16 city-gal

city-gal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,441 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:33 PM

I think that's a difficult profession. My daughter oftens subs, and she has a handful of wonderful and horror stories!

city-gal

#17 RodeoCowgirl504

RodeoCowgirl504

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,326 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:43 PM

I am one of those people who was always nice to my subs because I know it can't be easy on them. I don't envy the job of a teacher, let alone subs. Big hugs to all of you.