Quantcast

Photo

A good use for old horseshoes. What do you think?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 therowdyone

therowdyone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:59 PM

I've been making different things out of my old horseshoes. What do you think? The tall one is a coat rack with shoes from my horses and horses that aren't alive anymore so I'm keeping it. The other is just one I made for a friend.

Front

-

Side View

-

Base

-
 -

-

[ 01-02-2008, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: therowdyone ]

#2 Char

Char

Alis volat propriis

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,165 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:00 PM

You can talk about them and show pictures all you want but you cannot talk about selling them. Please delete that portion of your post.

Char

#3 therowdyone

therowdyone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

Sorry. I wasn't actually trying to, just wondering if anyone would like them or not.

[ 01-02-2008, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: therowdyone ]

#4 Gacowgirl-2006

Gacowgirl-2006

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:06 PM

I have a wine rack made of them & some book shelf brackets my husband just made for me.

#5 mtn_penny

mtn_penny

Denim and Pearls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,848 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:06 PM

I have seen all kinds of stuff done out of horseshoes. tp holders, napkin holders, candle holders the list goes on... the coat rack looks neat but how heavy is it? I have some really heavy coats.

#6 therowdyone

therowdyone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:06 PM

It probably weighs like 30 pounds or less. It's not too heavy. I'm making a wine bottle holder tonight.

#7 chele

chele

Stop Global Whining

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:35 PM

Or you can do this:
 -

#8 Sol

Sol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:38 PM

I've seen a horseshoe wreath done. I don't have a picture of it though [Confused]

Very cool idea with the coat rack!! [Not Worthy]

#9 The Bun

The Bun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:45 PM

Check this site out:

http://www.ronmarcusart.com/

#10 equine_luver5008

equine_luver5008

Equine_Luver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:51 PM

Those are so cool! [Cool]

#11 WarPony

WarPony

Teeny Tiny Equine Of DOOOM!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,598 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:08 AM

I like it. My only question is has it been coated with anything to prevent oxidation? the problem I had with horse shoe stuff was that even without being exposed to weather it would get a light coating of rust unless I kept it oiled. Which is fine for door stops and stepping stones but would be a pain for something like a coat rack.

#12 chele

chele

Stop Global Whining

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:57 PM

Wreath? Did someone say wreath?
 -

#13 LMK1975

LMK1975

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:10 PM

My BO's fiance makes things out of horse shoes. We get something for christmas every year. I got the wreath this year, but the outside shoes are horse size and the inside shoea are pony size. I also have a magazine rack, door stops/book ends, candle holders, picture frame holder, coat wrack that hangs on the wall and has three hangers. I can't think of anytihng else off the top of my head, but they are really cool. He spray paints ours. Mine are all black becasue I like the wrought iron look.

#14 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:21 PM

What kind of welding rig do you have to have to weld horseshoes? My kid took a welding class in high school and wants to do some horseshoe welding but we don't own a welder. Can he do it with a stick welder or would we have to invest some bucks in a better one?

Your stuff looks great. [Wink]

#15 therowdyone

therowdyone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by P'ville:
What kind of welding rig do you have to have to weld horseshoes? My kid took a welding class in high school and wants to do some horseshoe welding but we don't own a welder. Can he do it with a stick welder or would we have to invest some bucks in a better one?

Your stuff looks great. [Wink]

We have a Miller 251 wire feed welder. It's one of the new ones that is really awesome. It's been a long time since I've used a stick welder. You could do it, it just takes longer and isn't as easy to use. But you can do a good weld with a stick welder. This is just a lot nicer. It was about $2300 to $2400 so not cheap. Maybe he could work out deal with someone with a welding shop to let him use theirs?

That is a cool wreath. I haven't seen one like that. And I really like that tree as well. I like seeing new ideas, but I like to change things up. I want them to be original.

I made a wine bottle holder yesterday. I'll get some pics up later tonight. I do enjoy welding so this works out well and is fun.

And some things I painted black. I was thinking I would do some with a clear coat since I like that look.

[ 01-03-2008, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: therowdyone ]

#16 Scooter07

Scooter07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:05 PM

I have a ton of horse shoes and a couple welders(and a plasma cutter...love the plasma cutter) and have had thoughts of making similar stuff.
You do have very nice welds.

You can buy a small welder that will do the job for about $300-$400 It may not hold up to the Big jobs but would suffice for 'craft welding' and welding like on a car or whatever.I have a small portable wire welder that is perfectly good for anything I have wanted it for on the farm.

#17 therowdyone

therowdyone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:18 PM

We have a plasma as well. Very handy huh. Thanks Scooter. I haven't been welding very long at all. But My family all does so I guess I inherited it.

#18 Scooter07

Scooter07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:52 PM

Yeah I kinda married into it......but there is something satisfying about seeing your finished project!

and it is satisfying to see 'pretty' welds!

I do like my plasma cutter.....used it to cut down some siding on the barn and is great for making decorations....if you can find the scrap metal!

#19 Barklays my Bay

Barklays my Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,179 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:56 PM

Those are fantastic you guys!

Therowdyone, I love your coat rack! [Not Worthy]

#20 therowdyone

therowdyone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:30 AM

Thanks scooter. I just started welding a couple weeks ago. My bf says it's in my genes. I've never really needed to learn as my bro and dad are excellent welders. But I had my bf show me so I could make things. We usually have coats all over the living room and over the chairs... I'm an uncluttered person and it was driving me crazy. Hence the large coat rack. [Big Grin]

I have definitely used the grinder a bit when I mess up. [Big Grin]

#21 Scooter07

Scooter07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:13 AM

Well, grinders are our friend.Still as long as your welds hold and they look pretty in the end all is well.

My husband taught me awhile ago, everyone in his family welds so it was only fitting I learn.That and he is big on me knowing how to do everything that might ever come in handy.

I am a very unhappily cluttered person and am working hard to change my ways. So anything that takes care of that sort of problem is a good thing! and your rack looks cool too...takes care of coats and old horse shoes.as long as the dont rust and get your coats yucky

#22 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:03 PM

Cool stuff!! I love it all and would really like to see pics of some of the other stuff. Such as magazine rack, door stops/book ends, candle holders, picture frame holder.

Hubby made me some hooks for the tack room out of horse shoes. Nothing elaborate just one shoe cut in half welded to a whole shoe. He even nailed them up with horse shoe nails.

#23 therowdyone

therowdyone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:23 PM

This is what I made yesterday. I did get the idea from a picture I've seen, but I changed it a little. Just thought it was neat and wanted to make one. The hats were not easy.
I actually have a wall coat rack my brother made me several years ago that doesn't have a finish or anything on it and it hasn't rusted at all. Maybe it's because it's dry here?? If it was warmer out I could sandblast them to get them cleaner easier. But it's dumping snow so...

-

-

[ 01-04-2008, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: therowdyone ]

#24 Scooter07

Scooter07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:41 PM

That is TOO CUTE!
you did a great job! and I like the hats.
yeah sandblasting...yuck we have that too and I don't like the cleanup, BUT I love what it does to the metal.
[Big Grin]

#25 Triforce Link

Triforce Link

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:01 PM

make a chair!

#26 therowdyone

therowdyone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Triforce Link:
make a chair!

Good Idea!! Thanks. I'm going to do that. I have several hundred horseshoes, not like I'll run out! Think I know where to get more... [Wink]

#27 Qtr_Rdr

Qtr_Rdr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 335 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:54 PM

Here's a pic of a wreath my husband made for me several years ago. I change the decorations to fit each season.

-

#28 Kina Kat

Kina Kat

I'll be your huckleberry.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,675 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:20 PM

GORGEOUS stuff! You guys are so talented!

[Not Worthy]