132 replies to this topic

#1 FireCracker_gal

FireCracker_gal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:27 PM

I thought it would be fun to find out what things you all can't find in your home town or stuff people quit making. I love using the Nabisco Cracker Meal for making Chicken Fried Steak...but I can't get it here and I even live close to a big city. Nobody has it! [Shocked] But I CAN get it in my home town of a thousand people. Thought I would see what you all come up with that you can't find anymore...Who knows, maybe I might have it. [Smiley Wavey]

#2 goldentoes

goldentoes

can't stop singing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,374 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:28 PM

You know what's really hard to find?

Pudding Pops.

I know they still make them, and you can still find them here and there, but they really should be easier to find.

*sniff*

#3 Tuckaway

Tuckaway

Dog Whisperer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,492 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:32 PM

Oh someone was looking for powdered Salad dressing mix a few months ago.Knotts Cracked pepper I think it was.
Who was looking for that?

#4 Friesian4Me

Friesian4Me

Servant to The Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:35 PM

oooo oooo ooo!!!! I've got a good one! Kellogg's stuffing mix. Every year at TG'ing time I have to have my mother send me a box with several bags of stuffing from Wisconsin. You can't find it anywhere in Los Angeles - and believe me I've tried. And there is just nothing like it - NOTHING is as good (unless you go for homemade - and I just don't have time for that).

Also - can't find Campbell's cream of shrimp soup out here - she needs to send that in the same box with the stuffing so I can make my favorite shrimp dip for Christmas.

Well, and then there's Hughes chocolate - but you can only get that in Oshkosh Wisconsin and only around Christmas time so that's sorta a novelty/specialty thing...but it also comes with the stuff/soup and well..the all important Wisconsin cheese (California cheese sucks in comparison).

Looks like I'm pretty Wisconsin centric even after living out here in SoCal for over 15 years (GO PACK)!!!

#5 cowgurl_up

cowgurl_up

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,003 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:36 PM

We used to be able to get yogurts, with a mix on the top that you would mix into the yogurt, i lovedd the strawberry one they were sooo good! [Frown] but nooo they stopped carying them :[

#6 Ribellin

Ribellin

The next greatest ??? I don't know yet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:38 PM

I've got one for ya! A drink they used to make back in the 1950's...yes, I'm old! hehe...It was called Delaware Punch.

Just like Grape Ne Hi. Anyone remember those???

#7 HeartFeltFarm

HeartFeltFarm

Sweet & Innocent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,515 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:38 PM

I was looking for Knott's white sauce mix a couple weeks ago. I can't find that anywhere for sure.
The only Knott's products they have now are the veggie soup mix. At least here locally.

I miss Breyer's Mint Oreo ice cream.

#8 FireCracker_gal

FireCracker_gal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:39 PM

cowgurl_up -I can't remember the brand name but we can get some of those here still. There is strawberry with granola or oreo topping. Is that what you're talking about. I can't remember what all flavors there are.

#9 mtn_penny

mtn_penny

Denim and Pearls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,848 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:40 PM

ok I can no longer find the diet coke with lime or diet coke black cherry vanilla. they were so good for a special treat. ok well you can still get the lime in the 12pk cans but I dont like soda out of a can tastes funny. so now I am going to go pout and drink water since I know it is better for me anyway.

#10 Bull's Mom

Bull's Mom

Take off ya hoser!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:54 PM

Anyone remember Bonkers? They were a candy that was a lot like Starburst.

#11 DraftHorse

DraftHorse

The receiver of packages and the inhabitant of dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:57 PM

Berry Burst Cheerios...gone!

#12 RixKatToy

RixKatToy

Blurred Individual

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,808 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bull's Mom:
Anyone remember Bonkers? They were a candy that was a lot like Starburst.

What about Bottle Caps? I found some of those at the dollar store the other day. They were like little slivers of heaven! Mmmmmmmmm must go see if they have more.....

And Cactus Cooler, I found that at Walmart (*gag*) around Xmas time. Great stuff!

#13 FireCracker_gal

FireCracker_gal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:06 PM

We used to buy the bottle caps all the time when we were kids. Man I haven't had one of those FOREVER!

#14 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by goldentoes:

Pudding Pops.

I know they still make them, and you can still find them here and there, but they really should be easier to find.

*sniff*

AMEN SISTA! (pretty easy to tell we're the same age! LOL) The milk chocolate and banana ones were my fave!!!

#15 tequilaskye

tequilaskye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:09 PM

In Germany I used to buy Apple Cinnimon Rice Crispies at the Commisary they made INCREADABLE 'crispy treats. I can NOT find them over here. [Confused]

#16 equi-librium

equi-librium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BuddyRooShmancyNShy:
quote:
Originally posted by goldentoes:

Pudding Pops.

*sniff*

AMEN SISTA! (pretty easy to tell we're the same age! LOL) The milk chocolate and banana ones were my fave!!!
I'll third this!!! i LOVED them.. and havent been able to find any in years!

#17 Crickettgirl

Crickettgirl

So lost without you

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:27 PM

I miss Quisp cereal and Twigs snack crackers. [Big Grin]

#18 FireCracker_gal

FireCracker_gal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:33 PM

I'm pretty sure I have some Twig snack crackers at home right now. Is there a garlic flavor?

#19 REMONA

REMONA

I is..whut I is..

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts
  • Location:Where the weeds are overgrown and the critters rule.

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:34 PM

Artificial Christmas trees that are NOT prelit. [Bang Head] I DO NOT want a tree with lights. I have my own thank you that are NOT white. Actually hubby found one on sale after x-mas in a kentucky walmart. I'll get it there next year by George I will!

#20 cloudsgirl

cloudsgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 391 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:44 PM

Smurf cereal. Smurf Berry, maybe that's what it was called?
I also miss the pudding pops! Those were so good!

#21 kowgrl

kowgrl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:46 PM

I fourth Pudding Pops! mmm the swirl was my fav!

#22 PaintedBones

PaintedBones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:56 PM

Our local wally world carries the pudding pops. Wish I could send you all some!! [Frown]

Hubby and I visited Arizona last year and I got a bottle of pop...was made by pepsi but can't remember the name of it...anyway..it was apple flavored...something "sol" or the like..the name was in spanish....LOVED IT!!!!!!! They don't sell it up here. Apparently, they only sell it down that way because alot of mexican people live down there. Don't know if it originated in mexico and migrated to the u.s.....if someone could send me some, I would be forever in there debt!!! [Not Worthy] [Not Worthy]

[ 01-09-2008, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: PaintedBones ]

#23 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ribellin:
I've got one for ya! A drink they used to make back in the 1950's...yes, I'm old! hehe...It was called Delaware Punch.

Just like Grape Ne Hi. Anyone remember those???

You can still buy Grape Ne Hi and all the other flavors, in the glass bottles down here. Maybe it's a southern thing?

Pudding pops! Oh how I loved those as a kid. I was thinking about them last month and guess what I saw in the Wal-Mart? Pudding pops! I was in shock because they've never had them before!

#24 RixKatToy

RixKatToy

Blurred Individual

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,808 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PaintedBones:
Hubby and I visited Arizona last year and I got a bottle of pop...was made by pepsi but can't remember the name of it...anyway..it was apple flavored...something "sol" or the like..the name was in spanish....LOVED IT!!!!!!! They don't sell it up here. Apparently, they only sell it down that way because alot of mexican people live down there. Don't know if it originated in mexico and migrated to the u.s.....if someone could send me some, I would be forever in there debt!!! [Not Worthy] [Not Worthy]

Manzanita Sol
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Manzanita Sol green apple softdrink.Manzanita Sol is a brand of apple-flavored beverages owned by PepsiCo, Inc. which is predominant in Mexico. In the United States it is sold in 12 pack cans, 2-liter, and 20-ounce bottles, but distribution is only known to be in Wal-Mart, Albertson's, H-E-B, Food4Less, Jewel-Ostco, Vons, and smaller family run stores. In Latin American countries, Manzanita Sol competes with The Coca-Cola Company's Manzana Lift. Manzanita Sol is PepsiCo's number two brand in Mexico, with apple being Mexico's second most popular soft drink flavor.

"Manzanita Sol" is Spanish for "little sun apple".

If you go to WalMart they should have it. If not ask them to order some for you.

#25 rc_rosealetta

rc_rosealetta

Pitchfork Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:08 PM

Team cheerios. I had them in 96' for the olympics but they discountinued making them [Me Cry]
It was like combining apple-cinnamon, honey nut, frosted and regular cheerios. They were amazing

#26 QH_LUV_R

QH_LUV_R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,268 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:24 PM

Yes Ribellin...loved Delaware punch

Rix...cactus cooler...yes, hadn't known I missed it.

Pudding pops ummmm

Honey Bunches of Oh's cereal...gone

Willy Wonka candy bars...gone

Malted Milk powder, my grandmother sprinkled it on vanilla ice cream and called them dusty roads, YUM!

I was at a big book store once and on a table of odd and end books was a book of nothing but advertising logos, adds, brands, collectors items of foodstuff etc. from the 30's through 90's.
Cost $24.00 or I'd have gotten it.

Oh my goodness it was a trip down memory lane for me. Stuff I hadn't remembered loving for years.

For instance...the dial a flavor powder for milk, chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla
Can't remember who made it but we had it all the time as kids in the early 60's.

And the flavored drink mix, not koolaid, that had characters for the flavors, the name has escaped me. My little brother worshipped this drink.

#27 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:43 PM

Tuck...it was Knorr brand...I tried to find it too...wasn't it for city-gal? or someone up in Northern California maybe, wasn't it? I can't think of who else is from Nor Cal right now, hmmmm....

#28 flequus

flequus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:10 PM

Oil of Olay in shower moisturizer. Like conditioner for your skin. Awesome stuff and can't find it anywhere.

#29 Alleyway

Alleyway

Thunder Lungs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,778 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:15 PM

we have pudding pops, honey bunches of ohs, malted mild powder, and bottle caps at walmart. walmart also has the strawberry, banana, and chocolate milk mix, its nabisco brand.

[ 01-09-2008, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Alleyway ]

#30 PaintedBones

PaintedBones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:19 PM

Rix....YES!!! THAT"S IT!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU!!! lol now if I could get someone to ship me some... [Wink] [Wink] I found a website that has it but it's super expensive. Hmmmm maybe for a birthday treat for myself. Also on that site (which i'll post at the end) is CACTUS COOLER!!!

http://www.sodafinder.com/