• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Hinkbone

Hinkbone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 02:49 PM

Has anyone ever heard of giving cow sulfur pills to horses for pneumonia or upper respiratory infections? They are big big white pills and you are suppose to crush them up and put in their food. If my other two horses get this pneumonia Coco has my hubby wants to start them on Sustain III Cattle Bolus. 2 crushed up a day in their feed for 4 days. Please if anyone knows anything about this please respond! Really scared! [Me Cry]

[ 09-24-2006, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: Hinkbone ]

#2 Kitari

Kitari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 02:59 PM

i dont know about cows and horses but im taking sulfer pills for my bronchitis. try asking CVM

#3 hollowfarm

hollowfarm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 03:13 PM

SMZ-TMP also, Tucoprim is a sulfer based AB, but is a *almost* tasteless powder. I've only had one horse ever that wouldn't eat it. Good stuff!

#4 iheartcalaban

iheartcalaban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 03:54 PM

Do you mean Sulfa tablets, as in Sulfamethoxazole Trimethoprim?
Anytime we have a horse with a minor to moderate cough, or other "cold" sypmtoms, such as a runny nose, they get a round of Sulfa. Clears it right up. It doesn't happen too often that any of the horses get sick, but there have been a couple this past year. A lot of people in our area have been complaining about their horses coming down with coughs.

#5 Kitari

Kitari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iheartcalaban:
Do you mean Sulfa tablets, as in Sulfamethoxazole Trimethoprim?
Anytime we have a horse with a minor to moderate cough, or other "cold" sypmtoms, such as a runny nose, they get a round of Sulfa. Clears it right up. It doesn't happen too often that any of the horses get sick, but there have been a couple this past year. A lot of people in our area have been complaining about their horses coming down with coughs.

hey! thats what im taking. i read the side effects thing for humans and my eyes nearly popped at how long that list was [Eek!]

#6 Merry

Merry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,016 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:37 PM

Best I remember, sulfa drugs are in a kind called bacteriostatic, they make the medium the bacteria swims in toxic to them.
Antibiotics are bactericidal, although a few also have bacteriostatic properties.
They kill bacteria directly, by different paths, like penicillin by keeping bacteria from being able to reproduce properly, missing a step in forming the wall of the cell.

Sufa drugs were the first we had against "germs".
Later, antibiotics became available to the general public, penicillin first, right at the end of World War Two, then tetracycline and on to all those we have today.

Any one sulfa or antibiotic is only good on the bugs that are sensitive to it, although some drugs have a broader range than others.
As we all know, bugs have kept evolving and at the speed they reproduce, they get generations that are resistent to the currently used drugs very quickly, so we need to keep finding new ones.

To treat a sick horse with any you have at home may be missing the target and costing that horse time sick, that the right medicine would take care of, if what you have in the cabinet is not working on the bug your horse has.

So, if you have a sick horse, ask the vet, as he is seeing local horses with those same symptoms and knows what is working on that local bug best.

Once you have a barn full with the same bug, then you can use the same that is working on all the horses and it should work fine on teh next sick one.

Remember that this only works for BACTERIA, not VIRUSES.
Most upper respiratory infections are caused by a virus.
Only in some horses, that viral infection predisposes them to a secondary bacterial infection, like pneumonia and then that is what you can treat with sulfa and antibiotics.

No sense in giving a horse any medicine, if it doesn't target what is wrong with it.

Don't forget that if a horse gets really, really sick, supportive treatment is very important also, like fluids and pain medication, when appropiated.

With any sick horse, unless you know well what you have, it is always best to have a vet on board.

[ 09-23-2006, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Merry ]

#7 Hinkbone

Hinkbone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:24 PM

This is what it is called. A man told my hubby he crushes 2 and puts in horses feed every day for 4 days and it cures them. He has very expensive rodeo horses. Has anyone here ever used them [Confused] ?

Sustain III Cattle Bolus
Other products by Bimeda Animal Health

Sulfamethazine in a sustained release bolus provides treatment level for 3 days in beef and non-lactating dairy cattle. Effective against foot rot, shipping fever, calf diphtheria, acute metritis caused by organisms sensitive to sulfamethazine. Dosage is one bolus per 200 lbs.

#8 Merry

Merry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,016 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:29 PM

Don't know if you read the label right, but sulfamethazine will crystalize in the kidneys.
Better look for a preparation with sulfadimethazine, that will dissolve much better in water and flush out of the kidneys faster.

All sulfa drugs are hard on the liver and can make some animals be extra sensitive to the sun and thru photosynthesis cause some skin in the white areas to die and slough off.
Now, your horse may be solid colored and that may then not be a concern.

Why risk your horse's health, when you can ask a vet?

[ 09-23-2006, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Merry ]

#9 Hinkbone

Hinkbone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:15 PM

anyone else know anything about this drug. I need all the advice I can get! I am taking notes!

#10 Hinkbone

Hinkbone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:56 PM

anyone else know anything about this drug. I need all the advice I can get! I am taking notes!

#11 canchaser3113

canchaser3113

• Members
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:11 AM

I wouldn't give the horse the same sulfa pills that you give cows. They are not the same. Go to the vet and get a bottle of SMZs, give 10-15 a day for 10-15 days depending on size of the horse and how sick he is. That's what my vet always tells me.

[ 09-24-2006, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: canchaser3113 ]

#12 Hinkbone

Hinkbone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:33 AM

Duke & Princess did catch it. Duke was running fever 105 last night. Princess 102. I called my regular vet he was about 100 miles from his home and he told me to meet him at his office at 8:00 last night. I met him there and he gave me a shot and some powder packs of tsmz. We gave them the shot last night. Duke feels better this morning. I'm waiting for daylight to go feed them and put that powder in their food. My vet said as long as they are eating and drinking to see if they can't beat the sickness on their own, but if infection sets in like fever then treat them. Never had 3 horses sick at one time. I asked the vet about separating them and sanitizing their troughs etc. He said I don't have to since they both are sick and have the same thing and I don't need to sanitize anything. He said it's just like if one in the house gets the flu then others get it too and once you get over it, your over it. It is overwhelming at times! These are my babies.My hubby is giving those cow pills to his dad for his cows..Thank God! Thanks all for help. I'll keep ya'll posted with their recovery.

#13 tlctreecare

tlctreecare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:56 AM

I have used the SMZ tablets for the horses.
You crush or dislove 10 of them andtop dress over feed.
Have never used the cow stuff before. I would at least call the vet and ask.
Terry

#14 RUN N RATE

RUN N RATE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:10 PM

Supra Sulfa 3 or Sustain 3 has sulfamethazine in a sustained release base. They are designed to be admiinistered to ruminating animals. It says on the container that it has not been shown to be effective in non-ruminating animals.

#15 XXGUNSMOKEXX

XXGUNSMOKEXX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:15 PM

I wouldn't give anything like that before talking to your vet about it, in fact i'd get a second opioion also, I know this doesn't have anything to do with your horse but i've heard of reactions to others, in fact my daughter is deathly allergic to sulfa stuff!!