Quantcast

Photo

What do your horses use for scratching posts?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Bellivetta

Bellivetta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:40 PM

Besides their humans, what do your horses use for a scratching posts. Any ideas for something safe to use in the pasture for them to scratch on.

#2 chele

chele

Stop Global Whining

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:52 PM

I was able to get an old street sweeper brush. I dug a hole, put a pole in it and stood it up! It works great!

-

#3 Merry

Merry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,016 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:31 PM

Did you really get that brush in there, or did you photo shop that for laughs? [ROTFL]

Great idea! [Not Worthy]

We have our barn column, that I was going to wrap with trailer mats, so they don't by chance bump into it.
They not only don't seem to ever hit it, but they think they are great for scratching as they are, so left it bare.
I guess that I could tie a big brush like that to it? [Jump]

-

[ 10-06-2006, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Merry ]

#4 Heidi n Q

Heidi n Q

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,958 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:43 PM

Currently Q uses trees. I have hotwire up to keep her off the fence. I want to get a street sweeper brush, but if I can't, I will wrap hog wire tightly around a steel post (it will be a corner post holding up a shed row in her corral) to make a sort of wire scratchy scrubby thing for her to scrape herself along...

I really don't WANT her to scratch/itch herself, she gets a bad reaction to bug bites and scratches off her forelock and mane...and I want it to grow long.
Spring-Fall we use TriHist to keep her reactions down.
Heidi

#5 chele

chele

Stop Global Whining

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:47 PM

It truly is a street sweeper brush Merry! It took a while for him to understand what to do with it, but now he has the hang of it! But if you get one, I would put it out away from the barn, as my horse really leans hard into the brush and I wouldn't want to rish any structure damage to the barn!

#6 Bellivetta

Bellivetta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:49 PM

[ROTFL] [ROTFL] Ok love that street sweeper brush!!!!!!!!
"The ultimate horse scratcher" you give new life to the term recycling.

#7 JenniferLVAQHA

JenniferLVAQHA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:55 PM

Oh my goodness, that street sweeper brush pic has me rolling!!! [ROTFL] I thought it was a joke at first LOL! [Big Grin] What a great idea though!!!

#8 chele

chele

Stop Global Whining

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:34 PM

*takes a bow*
Ah, but aren't you glad you don't live next door to me! *LOL* Although truthfully, that is the only "recycled" gizmo I have, the rest of the place is boringly normal! er............well.........sorta..........

#9 gamergal

gamergal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chele:
I was able to get an old street sweeper brush. I dug a hole, put a pole in it and stood it up! It works great!

-

Love it!!! [ROTFL]

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gamergal:
quote:

-

Love it!!! [ROTFL]
Now that's what I call creative thinking!

#11 farm mom

farm mom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:45 PM

I see people out where we live use these all the time for there horses and cattle. Generally the companies will give them away or for a cheap price. I have been wanting to get one for my guys.

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:05 AM

yup, a friend of mine has 3 of them out in her 10 acres, llamas, horses, goats AND the cows love em [Wink]

#13 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,144 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:29 AM

Wow, love the brush idea! I'm going to ask Hubby to grab one if he ever finds something like that at the dump. He and his brother go "shopping" at the dump all the time.

My horses use trees and the barn wall (inside and out) for scratching now.

#14 chele

chele

Stop Global Whining

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:00 AM

Check with they city street sweeping department, it would save them having to haul it off. I know our city department was all too glad to let me have mine!

#15 chele

chele

Stop Global Whining

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:17 AM

And finally, proof that he does use it!

-

-

Note the feet up so he can really lean into it! I just hope the post doesn't give!

#16 BEARCAT

BEARCAT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:47 AM

Merry, instead of rubber stall mats, you could wrap that post with those green plastic welcome mats from Wally world - same principle as the street sweeper brush...

#17 qhchick0220

qhchick0220

• Members
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:14 AM

quote:

-

How deep of hole did you dig? And what kind of post?

My mare has an awful habit of finding the roughest fence post in the pasture and pulling her mane and tail out. I think she would have a lot harder time pulling her hair with that. [Big Grin]

#18 Chardavej

Chardavej

Happy girl! Well, mostly...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:06 PM

When I saw the topic of this post I had to come in and see if Chele posted a photo of her scratching post!! LOL!

It inspired me and I called our city street maintenance dpet to see about getting one, they contract cleaning out and gave me their number, the guy was super nice and said he usually tosses them out but that he had one I could have! So cool!!! [Jump]

#19 chele

chele

Stop Global Whining

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:48 PM

qhchick0220 I used a creasote post, set about 3 1/2 feet deep, packed 'er tight, then filled the center of the brush with rocks to the top of the post so there wouldn't be any wiggle.

Chardavej that IS so cool! I sure hope your horse likes it as much as mine does! Really helped slick him off this year too!

Now if only I could come up with something for Bandit to be able to scratch his tummy on I would be all set!

[ 05-02-2007, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: chele ]

#20 firststringfarms

firststringfarms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:15 PM

The street sweeper brush is super cool.

We bought several of those big long brooms - the ones that are about 2 1/2 feet wide with wooden backs. we nailed them to a thick post set deep in the ground. horses love them

#21 Dixie Belle

Dixie Belle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:26 PM

For bellies, we have taken a tree that is about 8" in diameter, and chainsawed the top off at belly height. Then we rounded all the edges.

Voila! Tummy scratcher.

#22 chele

chele

Stop Global Whining

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dixie Belle:
For bellies, we have taken a tree that is about 8" in diameter, and chainsawed the top off at belly height. Then we rounded all the edges.

Voila! Tummy scratcher.

hmmmmmmm [Question] Guess I could do the same thing with a post, since I don't have any trees!

Thanks firststringfarms!