5 replies to this topic

#1 Bo's Girl

Bo's Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:21 PM

what is the average age anyways... just curious about how old a horse is when the are done growning...
Thanks!!! [Smiley Wavey]

#2 june bug

june bug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:37 PM

Horses usually don't stop growing til they are around four, but i have hear of some horses having growth spurt at age 6.

#3 In Love With Breezy

In Love With Breezy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:43 PM

My horse had a growth spurt when she was 4 almost 5. She was hip high. She has evened out now but I was surprised! Still hasn't made it to 15 hands, I'm waiting! She's 5 right now. I am hoping she'll make it [Jump]

#4 love_my_colts

love_my_colts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 468 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:18 PM

I know that with Quarter Horses they are still growing until they are 4-6 years old, but I think some other breeds mature a little faster. If I remember right Quarter Horses mature a little slower than averarge. [Wink]

#5 mayday95

mayday95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:25 PM

I know this is not a thread about when to start a horse riding but found this info when looking at that type of thing... thought it was interesting... you may find it interesting also...

check out this link...
http://www.equinestudies.org/knowledge_base/ranger.html

#6 luvs2ride79

luvs2ride79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:28 PM

All breeds have about the same bone maturation rate. Some grow quicker than others, but the growth plates still all close around the same time (baring any neglect which would slow down the process from improper nutrition). Knees close first at 2.5 yrs old, hocks at around 4.5 yrs old, and the big neck bones (at the base, by the withers) close at 6 to 7 yrs old. Most horses are done growing height wise by anywhere from 4.5 to 6 years old.

The article posted above is VERY good, and written by a well respected vet.

~Barbara