• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 usacowgurl

usacowgurl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 459 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:26 AM

I am still really thinking about what I want to do..right now I am majoring in mass communications but I am thinking about changing.

I am really interested in teaching. Right now special education is in high demand and I would have summers off.. not bad

I was also looking into therapeutic riding instructors. I am not sure how this works. I know I would have to start my own business.. but are they usually non-profit? I obviously want a career where I dont really have to worry about money.
Would it be easier to get a degree in teaching/special ed then maybe down the road I could start doing something with riding?
What is the median salary for a therapeutic riding instructor? I tried looking but couldnt find much. I would love just being with horses all day plus helping children.
Thanks!

#2 Fat Pony

Fat Pony

Il faut le faire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,910 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:30 AM

You should look around for hippotherapy programs in your area. Being in Pennsylvania, there has to be at least one within a reasonable driving distance. I would suggest going and watching a few lessons, talking with the instructors, etc.

There's not much money in any facet of the horse world, so don't expect to rake it in. The average instructor working full time with a busy lesson schedule can make $30-40k a year, but you just really never know. Don't expect to be rich [Wink] [Big Grin]

#3 Babalu

Babalu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:51 PM

I agree with Fat Pony, check out programs that have hippo and therapeutic riding...check out the NARHA for more info.

When I did the therapeutic riding instructor deal, I got paid 20 per lesson...not necessarily per hour. If I were you I would really try to hook up with an accomplished program as a volunteer and then ask them about becoming a TR instructor for them. If you do it yourself, the expenses get huge b/c of the liability insurance and taxes etc.

#4 Pgsus7

Pgsus7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by usacowgurl:
I am still really thinking about what I want to do..right now I am majoring in mass communications but I am thinking about changing.

I am really interested in teaching. Right now special education is in high demand and I would have summers off.. not bad

I was also looking into therapeutic riding instructors. I am not sure how this works. I know I would have to start my own business.. but are they usually non-profit? I obviously want a career where I dont really have to worry about money.
Would it be easier to get a degree in teaching/special ed then maybe down the road I could start doing something with riding?
What is the median salary for a therapeutic riding instructor? I tried looking but couldnt find much. I would love just being with horses all day plus helping children.
Thanks!

I'm curious how far along are you in your major? Teaching is a good subject to get into, and you do get your summers off. You could always combine your major or degree with what your doing, such as owning a business, etc. But, you should always try to do something that will make you happy. Good luck in your chosen path. I am working on becoming an elementary school teacher, and this career is in high demand. You could always specialize in an area for children with special needs. I do know that these teachers get paid more. I have never heard of therapeutic riding making money, most of the time they are non-profit. I don't know 100% so, don't take my word on it.

#5 usacowgurl

usacowgurl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 459 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:27 PM

I'm not too far in to my current major right now. It wouldn't be a problem for me to switch though. I think teaching would probably be better for me. I never thought about the liability/insurance costs for TR. Thanks for the help