12 replies to this topic

#1 quarters n paints

quarters n paints

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:39 PM

so, our local saddle club is going to host our own local "extreme cowboy race". Any ideas...

we have jumps made of sagebrush

dragging log

llamas (that should be fun)

back through obstacle (thinking about using the 1000 lb bales for this)

carry tarp

riding through plastic "curtain"

we will be having it in an arena, just because we don't have another site.

#2 AKPonyGirl

AKPonyGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:49 PM

Open/close a gate

Carry the mail

Lead the horse

Cross a bridge or teeter totter

Load in a trailer

All those can be done in an arena without too much prep. Our 4-H club is sponsoring a competitive trail ride obstable course this summer. We'll have about ten miles of trail and obstables including a river crossing and a major hill climb. It's gonna be soooo fun!

#3 rattusrat

rattusrat

The Red(neck) Power Ranger Loves Me!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,619 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:50 PM

*** water puddle or mud
*** cross a small bridge, you can fake one by nailing boards on top of a pallet so there are no open areas
*** opening/closing a gate
*** put on/take off jacket or rain coat
*** something the rider has to duck under while riding

[Smile]

#4 Quincy's Keeper

Quincy's Keeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:57 PM

When I designed a trail course my favorite trail obstacle was backing a figure 8 around two barrels. I could always eliminate a few horses with that one. Also a lope over, a counter canter in a semi-circle to a small jump, throw a rope on a roping dummy, drag something noisy, move a bucket full of something noisy from one barrel top to another. Have fun with it. In one trial trial we rode in we had to dally up a rope that went over a tree limb and was hooked to a bucket. We had to dally correctly, back up untill the bucket was over 5 feet high and then set it back down. Good times [Big Grin]

#5 Horsefeather

Horsefeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 05:02 PM

I primarily compete in pleasure trail riding(3 time champion)--and
ive done all the above mentioned.

i must say theyre all good, but that plastic curtain one was EXTREMELY difficult. out of about 100 horses, only 4 did it without hesitation--including my boy!. We call those the "breakers"

a couple more--

stepping into a ring of some sort--tire hulahoop

stepping onto something--they usually use a narrow rug, narrow enough so the horse can step over it, but your not allowed--you have to step on it--thats a hard one.

drag something behind you,

tie a ribbon,

someting involving noise(bells, bag of cans),

a person in a strange costume making noise,

hit a ball with a broom,

walk over a raised platform

those are just a few i can remember.

To AKponygirl--if your gonna be sponsoring a ride, heres some advice from someone whose been competing in these events for over 10 years(and is one of the top riders).

I wouldnt make it 10 miles. AT MOST 8, preferably 6-7, and i wouldnt include a Monster Hill--especially if your going to make the ride long. You have to consider all other horses and riders experience and condition, weather, terrain, and such. theyre supposed to be fun.. especially if its open to everyone. If its your first ride that your holding, and you make it too challenging, you might not get alot of return competitors--thats what happened ot a group here. they made it way too long--8 miles, and had difficult terrain and obstacles. the first year they had over 100 competitos, the next year they were lucky if they got 40.

good luck

[ 02-28-2007, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Horsefeather ]

#6 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 05:07 PM

ostriches or pigs. [Wink]

walking up to something hanging.

retrieving something from a person in a car/truck (this is functional!!)

walking over a platform (bridge type thing)

walking through a "waterfall"--aka a frame with dangly beads or something.

#7 bloodline

bloodline

queen of punk!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 05:28 PM

we had a trail class for a show at my old barn.
they brought in dogs, cars, motorcycles, bikes... all the crazy stuff. the car was just turned on with the dogs inside.. the motorcycle was driven around the arena (a good distance AWAY from the horse). bikes were ridden around the arena too.

those make for good "scary" objects.

#8 Libby Jean

Libby Jean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 05:56 PM

I have not seen this one, but heard about it. In a water obstacle add empty plastic soda/water bottles with their lids, so that they float around.

Also if you know anyone who has miniature horses and carts with them, that really blows the mind of a lot of horses.

#9 quarters n paints

quarters n paints

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:11 PM

ooooh, these are good. Keep them coming.

I agree pics = horse eating monsters, at least according to mine. Never try to ride at fairgrounds on a night they are weighing 4H pigs [Eek!]

#10 AKPonyGirl

AKPonyGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:43 PM

HorseFeather - Just to clarify our ride: It is a Competitive Trail Ride (P&Rs and everything) with some judged obstacles. The first ride we sponsored was last year and we had to turn away people. It was a two day ride covering 27 miles the first day and 25 the second. Only one person withdrew because her horse got away from her at a P&R. This year the ride is somewhere else and riders are begging us to sponsor another ride. So we are doing a one day ten miler. It is a part of the course from last year. Last year no one had any problems with the hill and there is another way around.

Around here ten miles in a day is normal. In the summer I ride six days a week, usually from 6 pm to midnight or later. Remember this is the Land of the Midnight Sun. [Big Grin] The longest single day ride last year was 35 miles.

Check out the thread I posted last year An Alaskan Trail Ride with pictures for an idea of how we ride.

Sorry to hijack the thread, quarters n paints. You've got lots of ideas to choose from. Remember to take lots of pictures and post what you decide to include in your course.

#11 quarters n paints

quarters n paints

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:44 PM

hey, no problem.

I hoping to get a lot more diverse crowd with this event than we usually do with our shows, I think everyone could have a good time.

Thanks for all the help... I'll keep you updated.

Oh, and in my previous message, it's supposed to be PIGS= horse eating animals, not pics, LOL.

#12 Rebekah Blake

Rebekah Blake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:00 PM

This sounds like a lot of fun. I would love to find somewhere around middle TN to participate in them. We just started riding so maybe there are some and we will find them when it warms up. We just signed up with 4-H and the saddle club so we should get that kind of information.

Rebekah TN

#13 YEE-HAW

YEE-HAW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:13 PM

[Smiley Wavey]

In several of our trail classes we had to drag a burlap sack, full of cans, on the ground behind our horses. We also had to walk them through a shallow pan of water. I would say it was about 4' long by 3' wide. Someone built it and they painted the bottom black, so the horses couldn't see how deep it actually was. That one got quite a few of them.

If we were outside, we often had to ground tie them and walk out of the arena. If they moved, you were disqualified.