• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 meg1506

meg1506

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:31 PM

I have a 2001 chevy silverado, extended cab with a 5 foot bed. I am looking into moving up from a BP to a GN, but have been told that I don't have enough clearance with my bed by a friend.

Is she right?

Do any of you pull a GN with a similiar truck as mine?

Opinions would be well appreciated, as I don't want to spend the $ to get a GN hitch installed and then have to sell for a different truck....

Thanks!!!

#2 TNCowgirl1011

TNCowgirl1011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:38 PM

Is your truck a 1500? If so I wouldn't pull a gooseneck with it. Also you are more likely to get into the cab of your truck with a shortbed truck. I wouldn't suggest trying to pull a gooseneck with that truck. Just my opinion.

#3 Kelli G.

Kelli G.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:51 PM

I would find out what your vehicle's towing maximum is and then find out how much the trailer would weigh loaded with everything you would normally carry in it. I think you may have to upgrade to at least a 2500 for a GN.

#4 AQHARednecks

AQHARednecks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 277 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:56 PM

Personally, I would not pull a gooseneck with a 1500. While you MIGHT be able to get away with it, things like your stopping ability and such will be greatly impacted by it.
We use a 2500 Diesel to pull our gooseneck. We pulled it up the Alcan (lots of mountain passes etc) and we never so much as had a hiccup. We did pass a lot of 1500s that were having a LOT of problems on the way with similar trailers.
Our truck is a short bed. While the rule of thumb is to have a long bed, our short bed on the dodge doesnt have any problems with our trailer.
As far as bp vs, goosenecks, I think the gooseneck is a far smoother ride for both the people in the truck and the animals in the trailer. A lot less "jerky". It is up to you, just my 2 cents. [Wink]

#5 goatmom

goatmom

Are we done yet?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:01 PM

I would agree with others. Go to a trailer dealer and ask. They will be able to tell you more.

I have seen similar trucks pulling goosenecks. They are the ones with the pointy nose not the square noses. There is more clearance for turning.

#6 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:10 PM

IMHO, unless in a case of emergency with a 2H type trailer, I would not recommend hauling with a 1500.

It's not that you can't pull it. It's that you can't stop.

#7 Pamela

Pamela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:10 PM

You'll need at least a 3/4 ton for an aluminim 3 horse slant and that's not loaded (tack room-show stuff-etc) Anything bigger for a trailer you'll probably want a dually.

#8 meg1506

meg1506

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:25 PM

Thanks so much for all the responses and opinions!

Yes, it is a 1500 and I pull a small 2 horse BP - (not a fancy one)

My friend is selling a 2H GN slant that I am going to get, but like I said, I don't want to upgrade the trailer and not have a truck that can match it!

My husband is a typical guy and wants to trade in the truck for something different. I guess this will give him a good reason to start searching.

ANy suggestions on trucks? The most we would ever have is a 3H, no LQ, just a small tack area.

Thanks again! [Huggy]

#9 AQHARednecks

AQHARednecks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 277 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:49 PM

We LOOOOVE our Dodge... I won't have anything else. Are you wanting to stick with a gaser or a diesel? I wouldn't trade my diesel for anything. My hubby is a crewchief, so he looked into the motors extensivly, and we found the cummins to be the best suited in our opinion. If you do get a Dodge diesel, I would probably get like an 05'. They have a new motor out,6.7 vs. the 5.9l cummins. Its not that it is an "upgrade" so to speak, but they had to add more to this engine to make it comprable to the 5.9 after all the emissions junk they had to put on. As with most new motors, I would give it some time to work out any bugs. If you have specific questions on the motors, I can turn hubby loose on here for ya. [Wink]

#10 badger07

badger07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:10 PM

I have known at least two people that pull a gooseneck with a shortbed 1/2 ton pickup with no problem. My mother-in-law pulls a 4 horse gooseneck with a dressing room with her 1/2 ton. I believe to do this she had to add something to the back axle. I forgot what they are called, but anyway she pulled this rig from TX to South Dokota with no problem. Just make sure you give yourself more time to stop.

#11 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,341 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:36 PM

meg,

Yes you can pull a gooseneck with your K-1500, yes a 2500 would be better, but it all depends on how often you are going to pull trailer, I have a 04 K1500, I pull a 3 horse bumper pull with it. Any time pulling trailer, caution has to be exercised, so if caution is used, and terrain isn't to steep, then you should be just fine. JMHO. PD

#12 The Blue Bullet

The Blue Bullet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:03 AM

I have a 1/2 ton short bed truck and pull my 2 horse slant gooseneck just fine. It's hauled up and down the state of California with no problems at all. My trailer is steel but is only single walled so it is lighter then most other steel 2 horse trailers. I've never worried about hitting the cab of my truck with the trailer and make u-turns regularly with my rig.

#13 SmokenMirrors

SmokenMirrors

• Members
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:40 AM

I have an F250 diesel truck and it can pretty much outpull anything we have seen. We have used it to pull a car on a flat bed loaded with clothes in the car. In the truck we had two dogs, a child, ourselves, suitcases in the bed and a kennel, no problem there and that was from TX to VA. Good on the mileage we got on the long haul.

I think it is more what your comfortable with and what you personally like. But I agree, a smaller truck can pull but it is going to be harder on the torque of the engine as well as the suspension of your truck. Also with a gas truck, it often does eat my fuel than a diesel. Good luck.

#14 azgrulla

azgrulla

Scuba diving diva!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:27 AM

Maybe you can add leaf springs to the rear end, a tranny cooler, and just make sure your brake conroller and trailer brakes are in working order. You won't be setting any land speed records....except for lack of speed. And as Broo mentioned, it's not being able to pull it, it is rather, being able to stop the trailer. Maybe you will just be driving a little slower and allowing more room. Hopefully everyone else on the road cooperates.

Good luck [Yay]

azgrulla [Smiley Wavey]

#15 Amara Hope

Amara Hope

• Members
  • Pip
  • 329 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:46 AM

I had a short bed F150 that I pulled a 3horse/dressing room trailer with...not sure how big the bed it but I done it.

#16 QHReiner

QHReiner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:30 AM

Reading this made me curious. I am trying to use my Dodge Dakota to pull a 2H Gooseneck trailer, weight of 1800 lbs. My truck can haul 5,000 lbs, so I thought I'd be safe to pull the GN. We are currently talking with several manufacturers to find a way to install the gooseneck hitch, because nobody makes hitchess for less than fullsize trucks. We have finally found a solution, but are we thinking about this wrong? You all are referencing ability to stop. Will I have problems?

#17 PineBarSissy

PineBarSissy

"PBS"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,476 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Peppers Dad:
meg,

Yes you can pull a gooseneck with your K-1500, yes a 2500 would be better, but it all depends on how often you are going to pull trailer, I have a 04 K1500, I pull a 3 horse bumper pull with it. Any time pulling trailer, caution has to be exercised, so if caution is used, and terrain isn't to steep, then you should be just fine. JMHO. PD

I agree! I have a 2001 chevy 1500 that I pull my 3 horse slant w/dressing room, gooseneck alum. trailer with. BUT, if you are going to have hills,etc. that you are going to have to go up & down, it is a strain. It's pretty much flatland here where I live so I don't have that problem. Mine pulls great! Like I said though, no hills here [Wink]

#18 meg1506

meg1506

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:16 AM

I am in southern IN, so some rolling hills, nothing super steep... But I go to KY alot and sometime TN to ride and heading that way I do get into some larger hills and steep stretches.

It is interesting to hear everyone's reccomendations and I sure appreciate the input!

I wish there was a way to upgrade our trailer without having to upgrade our truck, but with safety in mind, I would rather have too much truck then not enough. Stopping power is a must, b/c you can only handle what is in your power and you never know what the other guy might do...

It sounds to me like several of you have 1500 trucks that you pull with and they handle fine, but it isn't all flat where I drive so a little more umph might be what we need...

My husband got excited last night when I told him some people's suggestions... I think he was ready to begin a search last night!

I'll keep everyone updated if we do get another truck.

#19 The Blue Bullet

The Blue Bullet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by QHReiner:
Reading this made me curious. I am trying to use my Dodge Dakota to pull a 2H Gooseneck trailer, weight of 1800 lbs. My truck can haul 5,000 lbs, so I thought I'd be safe to pull the GN. We are currently talking with several manufacturers to find a way to install the gooseneck hitch, because nobody makes hitchess for less than fullsize trucks. We have finally found a solution, but are we thinking about this wrong? You all are referencing ability to stop. Will I have problems?

You're going to have to find a very light weight trailer if you want to pull it with a Dakota. 5,000 lbs. gets eatten up pretty quick. My little 2 hr bumper pull weighed 2,600 lbs. I figured 400 lbs. in stuff in the tack storage under the manger (counting the spare tire), which only left 2000 lbs. for horses. Since mine was a larger horse, I only stuck to hauling a second smaller horse so I didn't overload my trailer.

#20 goatmom

goatmom

Are we done yet?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:48 AM

Engine size, transmission ratio, and a brake control would be the determing factors most likely.

Get your owners manual out and read what it has on the subject. Or call a chevy dealer and trailer dealer and get their opinions, they deal with these questions everyday and will be best at giving you advise.

#21 Susie B

Susie B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:51 AM

quote:

It maybe able to haul 5000 lbs, but can it stop it, and be stable doing it? I do not think this is a safe mixture at all. JMO. I think you should have at least a full size truck to pull any trailer w/ horses in it, especially a gooseneck. The weight of the truck against the weight of a trailer, horses ,tack, etc would just make me jittery.

I have had a trailer accident with a full size short bed regular cab (horses ok). Trailer came off of the truck (thank god). Before it did, the trailer's weight with the horses weight swaying was pushing the truck all over the place. Scary situation!

Anyway, sorry for the rambling. I would upgrade your truck to match your trailer, not the other way around. JMO.

#22 Padruig

Padruig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:24 PM

They're is a lot of good info out there and hear's my take on it.

First decide how much trailering you're planning on doing. If it's more than say 6 times a year then I'd look at a larger truck. Also look at the time of year you plan on trailering if it's primarily in the summer months then except for the largest trailers you won't need a dually.

I pull on an average of twice a month and have a 26ft. steel GN stock. I'm using a 2004 Chevy 2500HD ext. cab with long bed. I've never had any problems pulling and have even lost my trailer brakes and had no problem stopping. It's always better to have more truck than you need but you have to analyse what your needs are.

Good luck.

#23 AQHARednecks

AQHARednecks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 277 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by QHReiner:

A 1500 is the BARE minimum I would use for pulling any kinds of horse trailer. When yo ufigure 5,000 lbs towing you have to figure weight of the trailer, horses, supplies (including feed, tack,water etc). That adds up REALLY quickly!

I know a lot of people say "oh if you drive carefully, you will be fine" "just give good stopping distance" etc etc. BUT you can not control how other people drive (you get cut off all the time pulling a trailer here- people do not want to be stuck behnd a trailer so they do anythng to get in front of you, many coming VERY close to causing problems) , or other circumstances. (when we were on the Alcan, a bear jumped out in front of us with a loaded trailer... Our truck managed to stop in time, but it was still close. If it had been anything less of a truck, we could have been in a major accident from it all)

I would just rather have to much truck then not enough...