Quantcast

Jump to content

Photo

Putting pennies in water buckets


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Askims Mom

Askims Mom

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:49 AM

has anyone ever tried this? its supposed to reduce the effects of a mares heat. i know some people who swear by it and im trying to get more info...like how many, exactly how it effects the mare, and so on.

#2 Cheadle Chick

Cheadle Chick

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Frozen Winterland

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:26 AM

I have heard that putting copper in a trough/bucket will reduce a mare's heat, not sure if it's just an old wive's tale or not.

Why not give it a try. (just make sure you're mare doesn't accidently "drink" the pennies too)

#3 RioTollerAgain

RioTollerAgain

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  • Location:Virginia

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:52 AM

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think pennies are actually made from copper anymore.

#4 Debi Z

Debi Z

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,146 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:South Jersey

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:02 AM

I don't think pennies are made from copper anymore either. I think it costs more to make them from copper than the pennies are actually worth. If you want to try it, maybe get a small piece of copper pipe and put it in the water.

#5 CMR0216

CMR0216

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,409 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:SF bay area, CA

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:37 AM

That may work, but it is true... pennies are no longer made of copper. They stopped making pennies out of copper in the 40's and they are now zinc plated steel. [Smile]

#6 Milo

Milo

    High Mileage

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,334 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Under a helmet, behind a plow beast

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:38 AM

I know of someone who uses a piece of copper pipe. Says it helps quite a bit.

#7 iluvspots

iluvspots

    Got me some more spots!

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:50 PM

I've heard this about copper. If you have your horse at home, it's worth trying. I board mine so can't try it -- too many water sources for her to drink from and the stable won't add copper to them all. LOL!

I'm using Mare Magic herbal supplement, recommended by my barn owner. Been using it for less than a month, but I think it has helped. She should have come into season within the last week and I haven't noticed near the "attitude" I usually see with her. So far so good.

If you can use the copper, great! That would be cheaper than MM!

ETA: If you keep goldfish in your water troughs to control mosquitos, don't use the copper. It will kill the fish! That's the reason the barn owner won't use it.

[ 04-26-2007, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: iluvspots ]

#8 Pamela

Pamela

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:59 PM

Would riding the mare in a copper bit make a difference? [Question]

#9 Askims Mom

Askims Mom

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

its for a friend of mine. she has 3 mares, but her 5 yr old seems to be having particularly bad--and long heats. she was looking into expensive treatments, and i had read about the pennies on another board and the racing people there swear by it.

i was just wondering if anyone here ever tried it.

#10 pelirrojaloca

pelirrojaloca

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:MN

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:35 PM

Sorry to butt in, but you can use pennies that are dated before 1982. In 1982 they changed to a center made of zinc (about 99.2% of the penny) and a thin copper coating (the remaining 0.8% of the penny)

I have never heard of the copper thing. I wonder why it works? I wonder if mares are deficient in copper during their heat cycles?

Brenna

#11 TxCowgirl57

TxCowgirl57

    Ask me about my Limousin service

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:peach state

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:41 AM

I have never heard of it for mares in heat but have heard of putting pennies in water to repel mosquitos.