68 replies to this topic

#1 StopDropRollChic

StopDropRollChic

Lost in the sauce! Like a meatball.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:09 PM

What is considered sacred for Paint horses to Native Americans(markings)?And why? What are "shields"?

Thanks. Pictures would be awesome too!

#2 EddieNMe

EddieNMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:02 PM

Paint horses to begin with were scared. Those with the medicine were said to protect the person (usually the chief or medicine man) who rode them. They had a medicine hat across their ears and a shield down their neck and breast. Much l  - ike mine here.

I may be wrong wrong on the lore but read about the medicine hat stallion and it will tell you... It was "San...(something)...medicine hat stallion.

#3 EddieNMe

EddieNMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:04 PM

Now I remember... It was "San Domingo, medicine hat stallion".

#4 Bindi

Bindi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:57 PM

the medicince hat horse does have the 'hat' on the ears, the shield on the chest and what is known as a 'bloody shoulder'. i've never seen a true medicine hat so i couldn't really tell you. I also dont know of any other markings that are considered sacred. also, "San Domingo" is by Marguerite Henry.

#5 EddieNMe

EddieNMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:02 PM

Bindi, I believe you are right about the book. But it is indian lore. and my horse above is a true medicine hat. I wish I could find more on the lore. I believe the horse was said to carry its rider to saftey at all costs...it would even take the arrow/bullet instead of its rider. Dunno...that stuff fasinates me though.

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:41 PM

From what I have read, a true medicine hat should have a hat, a chest shield, flank shields and a spot over where the rider sits...

I have been told that Pep is pretty close..

-
 -

#7 turn3ngo

turn3ngo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:08 AM

I have a medicine hat paint. I haven't had him long. Hopefully he will bring me some luck!!

-

-

eta: The photographer that took the one picture is a friend of mine and will not mind if it is posted here. Her photography website is www.knoxhorsebarn.com

[ 07-31-2007, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: turn3ngo ]

#8 turn3ngo

turn3ngo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:24 AM

I've also been told that there is something said about them having an indention in their neck. Something about spirit. My horse has that too, but I can't remember what it is supposed to mean. My horse has one of those too. You can see it on his neck in the picture.

[ 08-01-2007, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: turn3ngo ]

#9 rattusrat

rattusrat

The Red(neck) Power Ranger Loves Me!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,645 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by turn3ngo: I've also been told that there is something said about them having an indention in their neck.
That's referred to as a prophet's thumb print. Here's the story:

quote:
The prophet's thumb pring is a dent in the horse's body, often occuring on the neck or chest.

It is said that Mohammed once tested his Arabian horses by depriving them of water for several days. He then let them all free near a watering hole, and they rushed to drink.

Before they reached the water, he sounded his trumpet to call them, and only 5 mares returned.

These 5 loyal mares were cherished and kept for breeding, the only ones fit to pass on their bloodlines.

It is said that he pressed his thumb into their necks, marking them. Horses with thumbprints are thought to be good horses.

#10 itsaSUTHURNthang

itsaSUTHURNthang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:59 AM

I have a medicine hat paint. Here's Volcom, 'Doctors Gypsy Star'.

-

-

=]

#11 goatmom

goatmom

Are we done yet?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:30 AM

Here is a link to a story about your medicine hats. It is very interesting. It does have alot of indian words in it.

The Indian Pony
http://www.desertanimalcompanions.org/ruff/IndiansPony.pdf

#12 EddieNMe

EddieNMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for the article Goatmom...that was quite interesting.

I actually have the San Domingo, Breyer model [Crazy]

All the horses are gorgeous on this thread.

The indent thing I had never heard of before. Thank you for that lesson. I actually have a BS paint who has that indent and he is worth his weight in gold. I think my medicine hat has one too but not sure.

#13 mrs

mrs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,968 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:30 AM

A friend was telling me about my filly (she has an unusual marking). She said she showed the picture of her to a local OLD Indian horseman who went into a long story about horses that are marked with animals and how they were treasured in the herds as sacred. Wish I could remember the whole story now.

Anyway, marking that strongly show an animal totem are supposed to be very respected.

Marked by the horse?
 -

[ 07-31-2007, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: mrs ]

#14 EddieNMe

EddieNMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:37 AM

Cool marking Mrs.

I guess I'm gonna have to do some research into all this. My curiousity is peaked now.

#15 Chiefinaz

Chiefinaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:02 PM

beautiful horses! i too heard that the medicine hats were sacred and only allowed to be ridden by chiefs and medicine men. i have a 3yr medicine hat filly and my new colt, i get different opinions on. what do you guys think is he a medicine hat? the pic is not the best but all i have right now.

Valley, my filly
 -

and my new baby, what do you think, yes or no?
 -

#16 Cowgirlroper3

Cowgirlroper3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:13 PM

Here is my gelding. He has the war bonnet and bear claw-supposedly that of a chiefs horse. He has been completely amazing through everything.
 -

#17 EddieNMe

EddieNMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chiefinaz:
beautiful horses! i too heard that the medicine hats were sacred and only allowed to be ridden by chiefs and medicine men. i have a 3yr medicine hat filly and my new colt, i get different opinions on. what do you guys think is he a medicine hat? the pic is not the best but all i have right now.

Valley, my filly
 -

and my new baby, what do you think, yes or no?
 -

I say yes he is medicine hat...got the bonnet & shield. Beautiful horses.

#18 Yvette

Yvette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:16 PM

MEDICINE HAT is a horse that is mostly white but with colored ears (a "war bonnet") and often colored eye rings. They can also have "shields" of color on the chest, flank and along the topline. These horses were thought to have supernatural powers by some Native American tribes. This color pattern can occur in very white paint horses of various genetic backgrounds, particularly overo, tovero, and sabino.

#19 redneckcowgirl

redneckcowgirl

Fecal Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,577 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:48 PM

VERY interesting thread...
So, would Zippy be considered a medicine hat then?
 -
 -
[Question]

#20 becauseofahorse

becauseofahorse

Cowgirl Born and Bred

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:36 PM

Here is my gelding Blake who is recovering from a bad accident. He has similar markings and a huge indention on the left side of his neck. He is fat right now, because he cannot be exercised. What do you guys think? Is he considered a medicine hat, even though the color runs on down?

-

-

-

#21 majik

majik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:39 PM

Well, she's not a medicine hat, but she has a "ghost" across her shoulder. Maybe THAT'S why she's spooky!?
 -

#22 skjotta

skjotta

owner of lava-goats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:02 PM

Sleipnír only has the war bonnet. the only other color on him is at the tip of his tail.

-

#23 qhlover17

qhlover17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:49 PM

These are pictures of my medicine hat paint Mickey Blue Eyes:)

-

-

#24 Kerosene

Kerosene

Little Miss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,645 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:59 PM

Now, I'm curious. Would my boy be considered a Medicine Hat as well?

-
 -

Or does he have too much color on his neck?

#25 She_can_ride

She_can_ride

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by turn3ngo:
I have a medicine hat paint. I haven't had him long. Hopefully he will bring me some luck!!

-

-

eta: The photographer that took the one picture is a friend of mine and will not mind if it is posted here. Her photography website is www.knoxhorsebarn.com

i love your horses halter!

#26 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by redneckcowgirlmn:
VERY interesting thread...
So, would Zippy be considered a medicine hat then?
 -
 -
[Question]

Yup, Beautiful baby!!!

#27 Canadian Sage

Canadian Sage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,520 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:28 PM

THE best example of a medicine hat paint is Sacred Indian. I believe he had two blue eyes.
http://www.lightsphere.com/models/bfest/98/img/21.jpg

He shows what a TRUE medicine hat paint is supposed to look like.

There have been some horses here posted that I would not consider a medicine hat but a warbonnet, I cannot recall the significance of that but here is a GREAT example. This filly has TWO blue eyes.
http://www.planetaccess.net/dangerranch/Da...h/Vportrait.jpg

Of course, there were a few great examples of each, and there were a few examples of the shield the horses have. I will try and dig up an APHA mare that I used to ride that had the exact characteristics of a TRUE medicine hat with shield. No white other than that of the medicine hat, and shield.

[ 08-01-2007, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: Canadian Sage ]

#28 jcdawn23

jcdawn23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:35 PM

I have read also that a true medicine hat horse has at least one blue eye. I will try to find where I read that.

#29 Canadian Sage

Canadian Sage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,520 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:03 AM

LRJ - Peppy has a warbonnet, not a medicine hat.

Chiefinaz - Valley is a Med. Hat, but the new one would have a warbonnet...by the looks of it.

Cowgirlroper3 - your horse only has the medicine hat, not the warbonnet.

redneckcowgirlmn - warbonnet not medicine hat.

becauseofahorse - I would say neither, the color runs down too far to be a medicine hat, but it doesn't fit as a warbonnet either.

skjotta - im assuming the color goes over his eye on the other side? He would only have a half-warbonnet...

QHlover17 - your horse has a medicine hat

Kerosene - I would say he fit under the discription as beacuseofahorses' horse did...sort of doesnt fit under either one.

#30 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:44 AM

Peppy is a medicine hat, with a war bonnet.. Apatchy was a war bonnet.. a horse with the war bonnet and the shield and other markings is considered a medicine hat. The two your posted were war bonnets.

"To Native American warriors, the markings of a “Medicine Hat” pony were auspicious: a warbonnet on its head, a shield across its chest, a shield of brown to protect its rump and shields on its sides to protect its flanks."
From web page

[ 08-01-2007, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: LadyRebelJet ]