• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 munzert

munzert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:31 AM

I own several horses, but two of them are my personal horses. One is a 7yr old TB mare and the other is a 5yr old QH Gelding. I have good relationships with both and they are very respectful especially the TB mare.

I am aggrevated b/c my gelding will let me walk up to him and catch him if he escapes the pature. I can even let him out in the yard during the summer to graze and he won't leave and I can catch him anytime.

My mare will not let me catch her if she escapes. She won't leave the property, but I really have to coax her with feed, ect. I could not even imagine turning her loose in the yard.

I suspect that it has nothing to do with her not trusting me or not being a good horse. Just wanted to know if anyone else has this problem.

Could you walk right up to your horse to catch it if it is loose or would it make you work to catch it?

#2 horsecrazybvh

horsecrazybvh

Unknown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,590 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:35 AM

We let all of our horses free graze on our property, but they can only be out 1 at a time. If we let more then 1 out they will decide to go galloping all over the property.

Now in the pasture, Dusty and Vinny run away from me, Lonestar will gallop to me and wait for me to get his halter on, and Buddy just lets me walk up to him.

#3 BigBayGirl24

BigBayGirl24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:44 PM

Mahindra (quarter pony mare)will come to me when I call, or even if she just sees me at the gate, she's a real sweetheart, just like a puppy. Now Banner (old Anglo-Arab mare) would laugh in my face if I called her [Smile] She doesn't run away, but she won't come when she's called.

#4 Brooksie

Brooksie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:26 PM

Sawyer's the only one that just runs up to me wanting the halter on. Sparky is somewhat that way, but she mainly wants attention at this point. Last two times I caught her though, she was laying down ready to nap.

Skip demands two treats for her attention to catch her in the pasture, but she will follow you around everywhere without them.

Mysty will come up, but it's a walk and it's slow. And it's not everytime, but most of the time.

#5 redneckcowgirl

redneckcowgirl

Fecal Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,577 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:44 PM

Nope. I make them DO stuff. That's too much like work. We have to do the "Bait & Trap in the little pen" thing...then they're fine. [Wink]

#6 mls

mls

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:57 PM

Yep!

Annoys the heck out of some of my boarders too!

#7 LMK1975

LMK1975

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:12 PM

My first horse Logan would come when called. My second horse Playboy runs to the fence as soon as he sees you, bucking and farting the whole time, but then doesn't like being ridden. My current horse Chip will mosey on up to the gate when called, but won't step in the mud, so he stops right on the edge of it. He makes me walk threw the mud to put his halter on, then he follows me out. Since I still haven't bonded with Chip yet I make sure I give him a treat after he is caught and safely out of the pasture. That is probably the only reason he comes when called.

[ 02-13-2008, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: LMK1975 ]

#8 vicky_95

vicky_95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:19 PM

Sometimes Gabe will come to me. Depends on if he thinks I have treats in my pocket.

#9 EddieNMe

EddieNMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:32 PM

Belle - is hard to catch
Cowboy, Rusty, and Rain will all stand there for you to get their halters on.
The two mules are difficult to catch but not as bad as Belle

#10 Rustygirl

Rustygirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:39 PM

I own 2 Paint mares (or should I say they own me!) One I have had since she was a yearling - and is now 11; the other is her almost 4 year old daughter. Both have very good work ethics, love their family and will come running no matter where they are when I come calling. No better feeling in the world!

#11 sweets4me

sweets4me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:52 PM

22y/o qh sweets walks just where you put your hand on his rump doing the whoa thing a few circles then stops an let you put halter on. 6 y/o corky arab comes right up to me,but if with halter i rub him down with it first, then i got him. so my question who is smarter? [Embarrassed] [Big Grin] [Bang Head]

[ 02-13-2008, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: sweets4me ]

#12 rudebabe23

rudebabe23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:04 PM

I agree no better feeling in the world, all 21 of my horses come right to me when I walk to the barn or I am out double checking fences, every single one of them follows me around.

My horses have only gotten out once and that was because some one cut the the chain off the gate (they didnt know they combination code for padlock) every single one of them came right to me when i yelled out for them.

I dont play that game. I have had one in the past that would run the minute they saw a person (was fine once caught) that horses didnt stick around long. My stallion also tried it once and only once on me. He stays in the barn but goes out to run and play, one day he decided he didnt want to be caught so i said fine freeze and left him outside all night in the pasture, it got down to 23 below that night, but he has never done that to me since.

[ 02-13-2008, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: rudebabe23 ]

#13 Legendsmum

Legendsmum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:36 PM

My 3horses are all in a herd in a pasture and all 3 of my horses come running up too us as soon as they see my truck...the old guy my mini runs up and sticks his muzzle in my pockets,so he really dont care that its me,he just wants his freakin' treats and he wants them now!!LOL!!

#14 Rein_Of_Fire

Rein_Of_Fire

.~.Diesel Chick.~.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:41 PM

Yep, I whistle and call her name and she will come trotting from where ever she is/doing at the time. I taught her to do that when I got her, she was 2 1/2 at the time now shes 4. [Big Grin]

#15 Inspired cowgirl

Inspired cowgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:00 PM

All three of my guys will come to me when whistled and kissed to. All three roam the property, when it's time for feeding they go back to the barn.

#16 River

River

• Members
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:05 PM

Mine will meet me at the gate, but if I have a halter with me, they'll just stand there for me to walk to them. They don't run off though nor or hard to catch. They've been known to escape a couple of times (tree fallen on fence or figuring out how to open the gap), but were never a problem to catch.

One of my horses, Tari, was hard to catch when I first brought her home. I used a little reverse psychology to cure her. When she did this, I caught the others and did my best to keep her far, far away and from being caught. She's attached to my other horses, so of course would try to come close, but would run her off until I was ready to let her in. I've not had a problem since...sometimes when going out with a halter, she'll take one step back, I'll stop and give her time to think about what she wants to do, and she always makes the right decision within a second and walks to me. Smart horse.

#17 OkieCG

OkieCG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:24 PM

All three of mine come to me when called, and follow me around like a bunch of puppies if I'm in the pasture. But just the sight of a halter sends Libby and Romy running for the hills. (unless their already at the barn, then they figure what the heck, and let me halter them with just a minimum of fuss) Shady I can catch just fine though. He's a doll to handle.

#18 justjokinaround

justjokinaround

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:28 PM

I have two horses. One I can catch anytime anywhere. The other one can be a pain and requires bribing to catch.

#19 WarPony

WarPony

Teeny Tiny Equine Of DOOOM!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,598 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:53 PM

The only time my DON'T come right to me when I call them (or rather whistle to them) is, of course, if for some reason they get out of their paddock. It's happened twice in almost 20 years *knock on wood* both times because deer ran through the fence. But a bucket with some feed in it got their attention both times.

#20 Kyra

Kyra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:26 PM

Joe will walk up and waits for me to halter him.
Morning comes up to the gate but then walks away for like 5 minutes before you can catch her.
Barra can be extremely hard to catch but for the last couple months has been coming up to me*crosses fingers*
Zona just waits for me to catch her. [Roll Eyes] Lazy

#21 nikki1

nikki1

The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:54 PM

Pilot has always been really good at coming when I call him. He can be on the other side of a 30 acre field and all I have to do is call his name and he come charging up to me.

#22 Miss Sparky

Miss Sparky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:25 PM

Everybody except Hawk is a pain in the butt if you are in the pasture for any reason. They have to be in your pocket the whole time. [Jump] [Jump]

#23 Heidi n Q

Heidi n Q

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,268 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:10 AM

Almost all of my horses would come when called. Even if you had a halter or bridle in plain sight. I never knew horses could be hard to catch (5 acres) until I had a pony. Every horse after that pony has learned to LOVE being haltered/caught.

#24 HoofsinMotion

HoofsinMotion

Invisible Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:30 AM

Both of mone come when I call, or when the hear the chain on the gate. They can hear that from 5 acres away, then they whinney and run to me.

I will never chase a horse to catch it. If you do it once they remember.

#25 CentreEquestre

CentreEquestre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:45 AM

My one boy I have had since 10 months of age (he'snow 3) will nicker then gallop up to me. He has never missed it! I love him for it. So cute

The other boy whom I just bought, always comes up but because we dont have a bond yet, I assume because it's feeding time.

#26 Belle_1

Belle_1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:24 AM

My girl 22 yr old appy will come when called halter in hand or not, but not to fast right now, she is due to foal in May.

#27 munzert

munzert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:43 PM

Now this mare will let me walk up to her in the pasture to catch her, I am talking about if she escapes! It happens sometimes when the whold herd is at the gate. It don't usually bother me b/c sometimes I will let a few out at a time and they just run into their stalls.

After she escapes and is running around in the yard, she won't let me walk up and catch her. It's like she is saying "I am free and rid of you". I hate that. She will come to me if I have feed though.

On the other hand, my QH will let me catch him no matter what. One day my whole herd took off and my QH just stayed in the yard.

#28 DraftHorse

DraftHorse

The receiver of packages and the inhabitant of dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:43 PM

Most of the time, but only if she wants to. I think she's really a cat.

#29 micmushi

micmushi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:53 AM

We have 5 right now and all of them come to me right away except for "MY" number 1 mare.
She will stand there and look at me and then at the last minute she wants to turn and go but since I started with some round penning for respect, things have changed.
When she turns to go all I have to do is kiss to her and trow up the arm facing what ever directions she has turned to and she quickly decides she would rather come to me than have to run in circles. This works in the field even though she has about 2 acres that she could escape to. Silly thing is even when it takes a minute or to for her to join up she goes in circles around me instead of out into the open pasture.
Maybe she is just smarter than me and is playing games. She probably laughs all the way to the tack area behind my back.

#30 DesperateHousewife

DesperateHousewife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:08 AM

Mine come running whenever the're called, heck they just see me and come running even when I don't want them. Bunch of mooches..