Quantcast

Help saddle pad rubbing...Update! ClairevilleCoach please look!

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:15 PM

...off some of the hair on the horse that I ride. It's rubbing off on the loins. Just two little patches, one on each side. I checked the saddle but it wasn't the saddle it's just the pad that's rubbing him. [Confused]

What should I do? [Me Cry] Has anyone had this happen before? I'm not going to ride him with a saddle for a while so that the hair will grow back. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. [Smiley Wavey]

[ 03-09-2006, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Countrygurl87 ]

#2 GrullaGirl

GrullaGirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 459 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:53 PM

The exact same thing is happening to my horse!! Its the felt on the underside of my pad. You have to sew on some silky material like a blanket liner where it is rubbing him. Untill them you have to keep it moistuized....I use bag balm b/c it is really sticky and stays on through the ride.

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:01 PM

Thanks I'll try that! [Smiley Wavey]

#4 Claireville Coach

Claireville Coach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:32 AM

Actually, the problem IS the saddle fit. For whatever reason, there is too much pressure on the back of the saddle.

I saw this happen with a mare who was a little sway backed. There was weight distributed on the front of the saddle, and on the back, but nothing in the middle. We were able to relieve the problem by adding a piece of foam padding that sat only under the middle of the saddle, where her back dipped.

Please have a saddle fitting expert look at the problem. Whatever material your pad is made of, it should never cause uneven wear marks or rub hair off your horse.

Good Luck!

Tracey

#5 Jack Baumgartner

Jack Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 02:44 AM

Ditto to what Claireville Coach said. It sounds like the sadle is "bridging" over a low area, and the ends of the bars of the saddle tree are putting undue pressure over the loins. That's why I don't like the saddle pads with a thicker portion over the withers. They "bridge."

#6 GrullaGirl

GrullaGirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 459 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:04 AM

Explain this more to me....My horse is not sway backed....infact he is a little down hill. (he is in his 4 y.o. year) I do not use a built up pad...this is the one I use.... saddle pad My saddle fits very well. It's not my winter blankets. I was thinking it was the seams on the saddle pad. The rub marks are at the back of the loin as well as on the side of his belly where the saddle pad ends.
What do you guys think?

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:34 PM

Well the horse that I ride has really high withers then his back dips ever so slightly up to his rump. yeah I guess you could say he's a bit sway back (it's not bad though just slight). Also the area behind the withers sinks in a bit. (he really doesn't have the greatest conformation). [Frown]

It had never rubbed him before. I've been using that saddle and pad since last summer. Should I just get another pad like the Orthosport saddle pad by Professional's Choice? [Confused]

It is supposed to add a little more padding in the area behind the withers that sinks in. They said it was good for horses who had high withers with the sunk in part behind them. What do you think? Has anyone tried this pad? [Question]

Also I don't know of any saddle fitters anywhere near me. I don't exactly live in a horse town. Nor are any town's or city's near me. People around here just have horse's as backyard pets or something and no one is real knowledgeable. Also to give you an idea the horse is about 30-35 minutes away from my house. [Me Cry] And no really good places to buy horse stuff.

Thanks for your replys! I hope I can get this thing figured out soon. [Smiley Wavey]

[ 01-22-2006, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Countrygurl87 ]

#8 got yoda

got yoda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 352 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:35 PM

I'm kind of old school but I'm not impressed with the gelpad technology. The Professional Choice pads with the fleece lining will mould to the horses back. I have a similar one (Cutter Pro) and I put a 1/4 woolfelt pad under it. It does a wonderful job of distributing sweat as well. Good luck!

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:45 PM

Hey thanks for the help y'all. I'm keeping a totally open mind on this and I'm willing to try just about anything to get this sorted out. I don't have the money to get a new saddle or anything but just about anything else I'll defintely try.

Well anyway thanks for your ideas so far! If anyone can, keep the ideas coming!! [Wink] They are totally appreciated! [Smiley Wavey]

[ 01-24-2006, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Countrygurl87 ]

#10 Claireville Coach

Claireville Coach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:30 AM

Is there any way you can post photos of:

1) the horse's back showing the rub marks (the whole topline, so we can assess contour)

2) horse with saddle sitting in normal position with
NO pads or blankets - from front, back and side

3) horse with saddle and "offending" pad in place,
again from front, back and side

Other than actually going out to look at your horse, this is the best way I could try to figure out how to help you. (It's a bit of a long drive from here.)

The horse I mentioned earlier was just an example of how this can happen - I didn't mean to imply that your horse was swaybacked, high withered or built downhill.

If you can post pics, I'll try to help, and I'm sure there are lots of others who would be glad to look at them too. Jack is known on the boards as a real expert on saddles.

Tracey
[Smiley Wavey]

#11 Claireville Coach

Claireville Coach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:11 AM

Just another note: Better to stay away from saddle pads that are built up in the front with the problem you are having at the moment.

The built up pad will likely just make the saddle fit too tight on the shoulders, which will raise the front of the saddle, distributing even more weight to the back where it is already rubbing.

If, as you say, he is a little swaybacked, the area you want to add padding to is the lowest part of his back. You can use foam rubber of the type you can buy in a fabric store. Try one inch thickness to start - you can usually buy it in a roll - if you need thicker you can cut two pieces.

Lets see if I can explain this....
You want to cut a rectangle of foam about one foot by three feet. (For actual dimension, substitute the WIDTH of your saddle pad for the 3 feet.)

The saddle blanket goes on first. Then lay your cut piece of foam ACROSS the lowest part of the horse's back (NOT along the back from withers to loin - we are trying to avoid those two areas.)
Finally, put the pad on top to hold it all in place and saddle him up.

Before you do this, see for yourself what is causing the rubbing. Go saddle him up normally, then put your hand under the pad and blanket where he is being rubbed. Even have someone sit in the saddle with your hand there. If there is pressure, pinching or rubbing, you may have found your problem. (There really shouldn't be ANY pressure in that area.) Try putting the foam in there and feel it again. You should feel a definate relief from the pressure / rubbing.

This solution worked so well for our mare that you could see the relief in her face, and her demeanor improved immediately. I hope you can get as good a result.

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:12 PM

Ok thanks a lot, really. I will try my best to get some pictures but I've never posted pics before so I'm gonna need some help with that. But I will definitly get the pics you suggested. I really appreciate you helping me out. [Smiley Wavey]

#13 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:14 PM

Bump!!! [Big Grin]

[Yay] [Yay] [Yay]

#14 Mike Franklin

Mike Franklin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 352 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:02 PM

Try using a thin Navajo Blanket instead of a pad. Oft' times less is more.

#15 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2006 - 11:26 PM

You know I have thought about getting a navajo blanket but I didn't know if it would work or not. I might try it though. I'm getting pretty desperate. [Frown]

Claireville Coach:
I will be getting those pictures soon but I really need to know how to post them. More help please!! [Smiley Wavey]

#16 Mike Franklin

Mike Franklin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 352 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:55 AM

I'm thinkin' that your saddle may not be wide enough through the area where it's rubbin'. Using a blanket withh remove material/thickness there if ya follow what I'm saying. Even 2 blankets should be thinner than one pad.

#17 Claireville Coach

Claireville Coach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:52 PM

Here you go.

How to post pictures on HC

Tracey

#18 fellersgirl

fellersgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:40 PM

I have this problem every winter, so I bought a cushy foam pad from TSC for 25$. My opinion is that it is the long winter hair that gets rubbed and pulled by the felt in the winter. I ride 6-7 days a week and show and have never had the problem in summer. I usually ride english for a while to let it grow in a little.

#19 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 03:35 PM

Ok thanks everybody. [Smiley Wavey]

I will have pictures of him soon but the weather down here in SC has been a little crazy here lately. One day it rains so then for the next couple of days it's too muddy to go see him or if has dried up a bit and nice outside the wind is blowing too hard! Just not horse friendly weather here lately.

Anyway I have seen him this week just haven't got my camera with me. My college is about 40-45 minutes away from my house (i commute) and the barn is about 25 minutes away from either my house or school so yeah it's a bit out of the way. I try to see him as often as possible but the gas prices are killing me especially since I don't have a job yet! [Me Cry]

Oh well things will work out. But I will have those pics by the end of next week. I should. Thanks again!

Anyway here is a pic of him to hold you guys over till I have the ones you need. This is Lucky this past summer:
 -

[ 02-04-2006, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Countrygurl87 ]

#20 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:49 PM

Bumping this back up. Just about to update with pics!

#21 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:25 PM

Okay finally got some pics so take a look. It's not all the pics I've gotta get but here are just two pics. Please bear with me! Thanks.

Rubbed spot; spot on opposite side just like it but a wee bit smaller.
 -

Here is his back, notice high withers and dipped back.
 -

Sorry the pics are real small. The next time I put up pics they won't be as small!

[ 03-09-2006, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Countrygurl87 ]

#22 h-appy

h-appy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:35 PM

I agree with CC & BG. Some horses have more loin than others. My Sis's old stocky QH mare went nuts when I put a different saddle on her. The saddle was pinching her on both sides of her withers. Also, some horses just need their own special type of pad. That mare doesn't do well with anything but a natural wool.

#23 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:22 PM

Okay I've got another idea. I'm wanting to get a new saddle for him but right now that is out of the question because all of my money is going to be spent on fencing and all so I can bring him home.

But yes I do want another saddle that fits him. What type of saddle do you think would fit him? Right now the saddle I have is a semi-QH bars. Would a full QH bars saddle fit better? You know with his dipped back and all I don't really know what will fit him. Also should I get a thinner saddle pad? You know like a thin blanket liner and a navajo blanket? I'll really try any options at this point but of course horse stuff costs a lot so I'll have to be careful on what all I can get.

I'm also gonna try the foam pad idea and fit it do the dipped in part to see if that will give him any relief. But I've been riding him in an english saddle or bareback here lately and the hair is slowly but surely growing back. [Yay]

#24 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:30 PM

[Yay] Bump! [Yay]

#25 Claireville Coach

Claireville Coach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:57 PM

I wondered when I would hear from you again!

The conformation of the horse in the pictures is exactly like the mare that I used the foam padding on and it helped her immensely. (The rub marks were exactly the same too.)

I can almost guarantee it will work for you.

You will likely have trouble fitting any saddle to this horse, not because of the bars, but because of the sway back and high withers. Be prepared to add special padding with any western tack.

Try the foam to build up the low area. I really hope this works for you. Please post again and let us know if it helps.

Good Luck!

#26 fhchik06

fhchik06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:30 AM

I use a round skirted saddle on my gelding and the square pad is rubbing the hair thin on his hips. It's driving me crazy.

He's pretty small and compactly built, most normal square skirt saddles interfere with his hips. I was using a wool saddle pad on him, but noticed the rubbing (It stopped right at his hips with something like an inch and a half in front of the saddle)... so i started trying to keep the pad farther forward, with like 3 inches in front of the saddle. Still didn't help. Placed a wool cooler liner [1/4 inch] under it, no difference, tried moving the pad forward again, still nothing. Now I've got the liner sticking out a bit farther than the top felt pad to see if that does anything.
My saddle doesnt reach that far back, the thinning hair in places is simply from the annoying pad rubbing.

#27 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:15 PM

...off some of the hair on the horse that I ride. It's rubbing off on the loins. Just two little patches, one on each side. I checked the saddle but it wasn't the saddle it's just the pad that's rubbing him. [Confused]

What should I do? [Me Cry] Has anyone had this happen before? I'm not going to ride him with a saddle for a while so that the hair will grow back. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. [Smiley Wavey]

[ 03-09-2006, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Countrygurl87 ]

#28 GrullaGirl

GrullaGirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 459 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:53 PM

The exact same thing is happening to my horse!! Its the felt on the underside of my pad. You have to sew on some silky material like a blanket liner where it is rubbing him. Untill them you have to keep it moistuized....I use bag balm b/c it is really sticky and stays on through the ride.

#29 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:01 PM

Thanks I'll try that! [Smiley Wavey]

#30 Claireville Coach

Claireville Coach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:32 AM

Actually, the problem IS the saddle fit. For whatever reason, there is too much pressure on the back of the saddle.

I saw this happen with a mare who was a little sway backed. There was weight distributed on the front of the saddle, and on the back, but nothing in the middle. We were able to relieve the problem by adding a piece of foam padding that sat only under the middle of the saddle, where her back dipped.

Please have a saddle fitting expert look at the problem. Whatever material your pad is made of, it should never cause uneven wear marks or rub hair off your horse.

Good Luck!

Tracey