Quantcast

Photo

Poll: What kind of horse trailer do you have, new or used?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 WI cowgirl

WI cowgirl

Ohio Cowgirlz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:02 PM

I wanted to post this to see what other horse people use for trailering thier trusty steeds and some opinions concerning trailers. If you could please post the following info:
What kind of trailer you have.
Is it new or used?
How much did it cost or if make monthly payments how much do you pay a month?
Pros and cons about the trailer.
How much you use the trailer.
And one last question, do you think its better to own a newer updated trailer rather than an old trailer? Is there any safety concerns with older trailers?

Here is my situation. 2 years ago I bought a used 1965 2-horse straight load, walk thru trailer and it is paid for. Even though this trailer is 43 years old it is a solid trailer with no rust. There has been money put into this trailer; the last owner had the frame reinforced. I put new tires on it, gave it a paint job but it still needs a little more work to be 100% safe to consistantly haul in. I want to finish fixing it up so that I can start showing my registered horse. My parents think I shouldn't put to much money into it and and just find a newer trailer. Do you think I should keep the trailer and fix it up or should I be looking for something newer? The good thing about this trailer is a its paid for and the not so good things are it weights 4500 lbs so its heavy, has no tack storage and not totally enclosed. If you'd like I can get some pictures to post for all of you who are curious. But I appreciate anybodys input! [Smiley Wavey]

#2 Silk

Silk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:09 PM

As long as it's safe for horses, the age shouldn't matter too much. There are few moving parts, so trailers last much longer than cars. The floor and the siding, along with structure stability would be my biggest concerns.

I have always had used horse trailers. Currently I have a '93 three horse slant. It's paid for, and works well for what I use it for.

#3 millie

millie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:15 PM

We have 2 used, very used and old trailers. One is a 2 horse trailer and the other is a 4 horse gooseneck. They need work, but they are paid for. They what I call a custom paint and rust job. They ain't purty, but they haul their load.

I agree, as long as the trailer is sturdy and safe, it doesn't matter how old it is.

#4 mydakota

mydakota

Ex-Con

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:16 PM

On horse trailers, safty is the most important. If it is safe, then I prefer paid for. Age wouldn't bother me if I was sure it was safe and comfortable for the horse to ride in.

My horse trailer is a 2004 Circle J Bronco 3 horse slant. We paid cash for it used in 06. We got a great deal at $5200. It was in like-new condition, is fully enclosed, and has a nice tack room. I haul on average twice a month. More in summer--less in winter.

#5 Cowwy

Cowwy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:09 PM

I have a 2008 Calico slant load. Stock sides. Full mats and kick boards all the way around. There is a front tack room with removable saddle racks. I also have a break away box and brakes on all four tires. It is all steel at 2400 lbs. It has a swinging dressing room door so I can fit three horses or use as a stock trailer. The only thing I wish I could change are having the trailer totally closed anf there is no way to keep the swinging dressing room door totally open so I would have to weld something.

[ 06-03-2008, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Cowwy ]

#6 HappyAppy1

HappyAppy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:26 PM

We have 2, one is a 1965 2 horse ramp load straight. oldy but goody, solid floor and in decent shape body wise for an older trailer. Paid 500.00 for it 11 years ago, its been used quite abit.
the other is a 2008 S&S 4 horse stock trailer BP.
paid 3800.00 cash. So far we use it alot, but then we haul both cattle and horses in it.

#7 Crystalmoon

Crystalmoon

An older newbie and techless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:50 PM

I have an "age unknown" trailer. I paid less than $600.00 for it 5 or 6 years ago. Even then for that price it had a decent floor and since then I had it replaced. It is a 2-horse bumper pull. I have probably spent $500.00, including replacing the floor, on it, on repairs/improvements. It is paid for, safe, light-weight, 2,000 lbs and really works better as a 1 horse...which is what I use it for.
It needs painting and is UGLY; so does my old truck. I call it my "matching rig".
I wish it had roof vents, though. And I don't like the center rear post.
I have not used it for awhile, though.

#8 LoudAppy

LoudAppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:55 PM

Before this one, I had a 4-horse straight load BP. 1977. I have a horse that simply will not back out, so when I got a little inheritance from my Grandma's estate, I bought a brand new aluminum GN stock trailer. I put a dressing room in it myself and it's wide enough for the finicky one to turn around. It didn't cost as much as a slant-load horse trailer,and the payments were only $125/mo. It's paid off now.
That's the best part! We love our trailer, it's as nice as what most of the people around here have.
Deb

#9 azgrulla

azgrulla

Scuba diving diva!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:27 AM

Let me try again....dang Windows shut down on me right as I was about to finish [Bang Head] . Anyway, as I was saying, we have a 2005 CM Dakota II 2h slant bp with a walk in tack room and stock sides. We bought it new back in 2005 for $3500 out of a place in Oklahoma. We upgraded just a few things.....being naive trailer buyers that we were....we added a spare and the rubber tailgate thingy and put a vent in the tack room. It's been a good little trailer. We saved over $3000 buying it out of state...even with delivery half way. When we get the next one, we are going to a gooseneck, 3h with drop windows and bars. I am partial to new trailers in that you are not buying someone elses problems. Atleast a new one has a warranty. It will depend if we go new/used when the time comes.

azgrulla [Smiley Wavey]

#10 eeyore4176

eeyore4176

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:24 AM

We have a 2004 Cornpro 3 horse slant bp. It's all steel with a dressing room in the front. Has removable dividers & saddle rack. We added mats to the floors. It weights right at 3000 lbs empty. Bought it new in 2005 for $4500. We traded in an older trailer and paid cash for the balance. It's a great trailer. Very sturdy and has a good rep with everyone who has one. We've been looking to upgrade to a GN though so we can go camping more. We currently use the trailer almost every weekend to go to the local trails.

#11 TxCowgirl57

TxCowgirl57

Ask me about my Limousin service

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:38 AM

We have a 2002 Chapparal 4 horse stock trailer bumper pull. Paid 2000. cash for it in 2003. We have a 1991 Featherlite Aluminum trailer we got in 2004. It is so easy to take care of. We traded our 1 yr. old 30' metal stock trailer which was close to 5000. new and 3000. cash for it. We got it for less than was asked for it. Both trailers were paid for at time of purchase.

#12 2pacers

2pacers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:16 AM

I have a '06 2 horse BP Sundowner w/ a dressing room, we bought it new, $10,500. A big thing for me is a ramp and such that is light enough for me to handle, so whether or not a trailer is new or used doesnt really matter to me, I would buy whichever one suited me better. My Sundowner has the lightest ranp I have ever felt--I can lift it with one hand. I have muscle and joint issues, so thats a big deal for me. Most of the older models are too heavy for me.

#13 Cactus Rose

Cactus Rose

Mountain Trail Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,564 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:24 AM

Have a new one - that is up for sale.

Have a used one that I'm using.

I would never buy new again. Let someone ELSE take the depreciation.

I WOULD however never buy a used trailer that didn't have brakes on both axles. Trailers older than such and such only have single axle braking which compromises stopping power (sorry - can't remember the year - I want to say around 1985)

CR

#14 K. Blue

K. Blue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:07 AM

Just purchased a 2004 Bee BP 2 horse straight load ramp with dressing room. Prior to me purchasing it, it had a horse in it once, never hauled and then used for storage, parked on a concrete driveway. Solid floors, mats, two escape doors, and plenty tall for my beasts.

[Big Grin] I luff my trailer!

#15 Mudder

Mudder

Keeper of the Wooden Spoons

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,500 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:08 AM

I bought new, simply because what was cheap, was cheap for a reason, and what was used but in good shape, was pretty much the same price or more, as a new one. It's a stock trailer that will haul 3 horses (I've never hauled more than two). It was an open trailer, meaning it had no divider in it, and the sides are open, as well as above the back door. Since buying it, I've put in two vents, a front divider (so I have tack room storage), two removable saddle racks, floor mats, a spare tire, and closed in the back door, so I don't get a ton of dust in the trailer. I haven't invented a way to put screen in the openings along the sides, but I'm working on it. [Wink] I'd like to put screen on the sides because I do get the occasional rock coming in, when traveling down gravel roads, which I have to do a lot of around here.

I would have bought used, if I'd found one in my price range which was in decent enough shape to begin with. I could sell it today for almost as much as I paid for it, but I like it just fine for as much as I use it. I made semi annual payments of 700 dollars each, on the loan I took out for it. I paid it off this year!! [Yay]

#16 goatmom

goatmom

Are we done yet?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:15 PM

I have a 1982 WW BP 16' stock trailer. Found it on the side of the road for $800 2 years ago. It was bought new by the previous owner who used it 4 times a year and stored it inside the barn when not in use. The floor and tires were new at the time.

I love it. The only thing I would like to have is a dressing/tack dept on it. I do not have a topper for the truck and sometimes I have been known to get caught in rain. So we have to scramble to get the saddles and stuff in the cab with us. Not to much fun cramming all that stuff in a small place.

Have thought about getting a different one but this one is paid for. It does need a paint job. Have been playing with the idea of asking the shop teacher at the high school what it would take for the kids in his class to paint it. Usually just the cost of the paint and primer.

At this point and time I think I don't need an extra payment going out. Maybe when I pay off the truck I might get a GN with dressing or small living quarters. That would be used too.

[ 06-04-2008, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: goatmom ]

#17 HoofsinMotion

HoofsinMotion

Invisible Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:10 PM

I have a 2 horse slant with the saddle storage in the back. I love it. You can turn your horse around to unload or just back him out. It has a side door for escape also. It is small enough to get anywhere. 16ft.

It is a 1995 Bar J made in Missouri.
But I guess the plant closed down that made them. It has some kind of plastic floor, so it will never rot.

The best thing is I got it at a auction for $1,000 five years ago.

#18 dgRuffian

dgRuffian

Ruff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:47 PM

I have a 3-horse 2002 Featherlite gooseneck with stock sides. I bought it new. It cost $14K and I paid it off in 3 payments so I have no idea what the monthly payments were. Pros - it is open inside without dividers and just about any horse will get in. Lite weight and pulls very well. Nice tack area that I can also sleep in although it is not set up as a weekender. Cons - no dividers so I have to watch who I haul together. No ramp and I would like one. The rear door is solid and very difficult to use when windy. I used to haul a lot but less so now. Which is why I still have it. If I were still camping and hauling to parks I would have traded it in on a 3 horse slant with a mid tack and living quarters. If there were a good used trailer I would buy it over a new one. But good trailers hold their value and may price close to a new trailer. I found a used 4-star with living quarters for $40 K that I would love to get but again, I am not going to use it a lot in the near future and need that money to add on to my barn and buy a tractor. May get the dream trailer later.

#19 SpottedTApps

SpottedTApps

Does anyone pay attention to these?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,886 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:39 AM

I've owned several over the years. I would normally say that a good used trailer is as good as a new one, until I traded in my trailer. I had bought a new 4H w/LQ, owned it two years, used all of the time. Crunched it by turning to tight. Bent axle, ruined fender, and as I found out later, bent the frame in the nose. Broken welds etc. Needed to replace the whole frame in the nose.

I didn't have time to get it fixed as I was moving in two days from CA to FL. I traded it in. I know they fixed it and sold it, but the new owners will never know about the structural damage to the trailer. They will think they have a 2 year old pristine trailer. I would have worried about what damage could not be seen if I had kept it. So, that makes me worry about buying used.

I now have a 2006 Logan 4H. It is steel frame and aluminum skin (I would only go with all aluminum in the future) I love the trailer. I love the size of the stalls. I love the dividers and how they latch. I love the storage under the mangers. I love the side tack that gives me open storage in back instead of tack AND a dressing room. I did not get LQ, but my dressing room has a bed and plastic drawers, so I stay in there if I need to.

I haul at least once a week, sometimes more. I wish I had a small 2H BP to pull around for local stuff, but I can't afford it. I wish I had an awning on my trailer, but it will run me about $1500, so I used my $80 easy up. The trailer was $22,000, roll in the $2,500 I was upside down in my damaged trailer, and the $2,500 in repairs they needed to do on my damaged trailer and viola! I have a $27,000 trailer that I will be paying on the rest of my life. I pay $300 for the priviledge of owning this trailer. But it is BEAUTIFUL and I get comments on it everywhere I go.
 -
 -
 -

This is the old one I crunched up.
 -

#20 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:22 PM

Well, we have 2 of them. I have an Aluminum 6 horse Sooner that I seldom pull. I bought it almost new from a lady that was afraid to pull it because it was so big.

Then, I have a stock trailer that I bought new - went to the factory to pick it up -- in 1980. I guess that makes it 'well used'. It is on its 4th floor and probably has 300,000 plus miles on it. I keep 14 ply tires on it and haul 8 big horses saddled and ready to ride in it to the trail heads for trail riders. Heck, it has worn out 4 or 5 one ton trucks.

[ 06-05-2008, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Cheri Wolfe ]

#21 Quartermutt

Quartermutt

Cat Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:26 PM

I have a 2008 Silverlite three horse GN. Needless to say, I bought it new. It has a front tack, drop down windows with bars, kick mats all the way around, divided rear doors, and large stalls. The trailer is slightly longer than a normal 3H so that the stalls could be placed at a sharper angle to increase the overall lenghth and width of the stalls.

I haven't hauled it much but it is so much easier than my previous 2H BP.

#22 quarterpaint

quarterpaint

I am...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:18 AM

I have a 2 horse BP trailor. Year and make unknown. I got it for $400. The floor is solid and it came with the floor mats too. It has some rust issues. And the previous owner spray painted it but didn't prime the thing so all the paint is peeling off. But it is in overall good shape. The tires are in good shape too. Pros: it is paid for. Con it needs cleaning up more. I think next year when school starts I am going to take it to them and let the shop class clean it up and paint it for me.

I don't do a lot of hauling but I mainly got it for if I have to haul to the vet or something. My one mare hates going into it. She is not an easy loader. After I let the school do it I just might trade it or sell it and get a stock trailor. That can haul 4 horses. But it would have to be a bumper pull. If I needed to haul all 3 horses I would have to make 2 trips. And I can't haul a cow in a horse trailor. (well maybe I could but that just wouldn't look right)

#23 Brooksie

Brooksie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:24 AM

What kind of trailer you have.
2004 Trailer 2 horse slant with front tack

Is it new or used?
Bought it used

How much did it cost or if make monthly payments how much do you pay a month?
Costs me $3000 because the guy was wanting to move it and had only hauled it like 3x. Had minor exterior rust because it sat out in the weather.

Pros and cons about the trailer.
Low stepup if you park right, easy in and out of the tack room, plenty of room to tie on either side. It's a steel trailer, but it's light enough my v6 can pull it loaded, which saves on gas. Only con that I know of is the stainless steel on front to protect from Mud is NOWHERE near tall enough.

How much you use the trailer.
Depends on the season, but usually around once a week or more hauling locally.... I may start hauling to some bigger barrel races next year and would probably only go to 4 or 5 of those.

And one last question, do you think its better to own a newer updated trailer rather than an old trailer?
If an older trailer has been cared for and kept under a shed, there should be no reason to buy a new trailer. I wish that years ago I had asked to buy my sister's two horse straight load. It ended up at her father in laws where it has set out in the weather and REALLY gone downhill. Now that I have my trailer, I just make sure to clean the crap and urine out of the back to keep the floor from rotting and I try to make sure I clean it really good on the outside about once every couple of months. If I'm putting it up for winter, I wax it and that's it.
[Big Grin]

Is there any safety concerns with older trailers?
Yes, floors, wiring, ect if they haven't been taken care of, but if they have, they can be just as good as new trailers.

[ 06-06-2008, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Brooksie ]

#24 Prairie Rose

Prairie Rose

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,059 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:58 AM

Proud owner of a 1968 Hale 4 horse bumper pull trailer with saddle compartment in front and divider gate in middle. Has double axle brake system.

I paid a thousand dollars for it last year.

Hubby and son fixed it up for me nicely--re-wired entire trailer and even added lights inside so I can see at night. For my birthday last year they installed matts on the extra thick floor. [Smile]

I pull it with my trusty old '89 GMC Suburban.

#25 screaminghawk2000

screaminghawk2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:06 AM

We have a 4 horse Kiefer Built with LQ. We bought it new a couple of years ago. We love it!

Pros and cons: It is a heckuva step up into the living quarters and then again into the upper bed.

The bathroom area is a bit small. The shower curtain gooses you and there's nowhere to put the tp.

We love the microwave!

The tv antenna works great. You can pick up local stations easily when your travel.

We love the outdoor speakers and the awning.

We don't use it that much but it's nice to have when we do.

We decided to buy it because we got tired of trying to deal with used ones and fixing them up.

[ 06-07-2008, 03:10 AM: Message edited by: screaminghawk2000 ]

#26 Miss Sparky

Miss Sparky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:41 AM

2008 Slant Load Open Ranger Bumper Pull with dressing room [Yay] [Yay] [Yay] . It seemed kind of dumb to hook up to our 22 foot stock trailer (19?? with new floor) to take one horse on a trail ride or to the vet. I got it about 2 weeks ago so far I have hauled 32 young Canada Geese (170 miles), slaughter calf (25 miles), and because the trailer was already hooked up we hauled Ice (Paint Mare) around the block (1- 1 1/2 miles). Did I buy a animal utility trailer or horse trailer? [Question] [Question]

#27 slowgaiter

slowgaiter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:48 AM

I bought a used 2 horse slant with dressing room 4 star and it was from a dealer, had to dicker with them as far as a new mat and a spare, plus screens on the windows, but they did it and at no xtra charge, plus I paid cash, it's the best trailer I have ever purchased, I just love it, can't really find a neg, thing with it, it does me just right for what i use it for,I couldn't afford new and it did take me a very long time to find this one...

#28 amy.luxford

amy.luxford

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:17 AM

i dont really care what the trailer/float looks like. as long as the divider is removable.

i had a horse that fell in the float on a highway, so we had to pull over in the sidelane and try and get him up with out getting him out of the float.
without the removable divider, it wouldn't have happened...