8 replies to this topic

#1 kawhit

kawhit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:14 PM

I folks. Has anyone used a hauler recently? What is the typical going per mile rate for hauling? I'm actually trying to figure out what is fair to pay someone for hauling my horse and am looking for some guidelines of what is being charged out there. I found one place that was charging $3.00 per mile. I know the local folks here used to charge $1.00 per mile (short haul stuff) but I'm assuming that won't fly anymore.

Thanks!

#2 SpottedTApps

SpottedTApps

Does anyone pay attention to these?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,886 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:39 PM

Are you talking a short/local haul, like 20 miles and round trip? Or a cross states, moving your horse type of haul.

If I haul for local friends I charge $2/mile and $15/hr. Both.

#3 kawhit

kawhit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:35 PM

Actually I'm talking a distance, a little over 500 miles each way.

#4 corina33

corina33

La te da

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,179 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:36 PM

Well that seems expensive if you ask me. When I asked for quote from CA to WA I was getting anywhere from $1.05 to $1.15 a mile. Maybe it's cheaper for long distance??

If you're just doing a short haul I would charge a flat rate, like average mileage now a days is only $0.50 a mile, but since your shipping live horses maybe a fee for handling as well.

#5 desperate horsewife

desperate horsewife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

With the cost of fuel rising, I'm sure hauling fees are going way up. I can't haul for $.50 mile, it'd put me in the red just in fuel, not to mention wear and tear on the vehicle and insurance.

A friend of mine has charged $1 per mile the past couple of years. I don't know if he's going to increase that now or not. I've been trying to decide how much to charge when I haul for someone next week as I don't want it to be more than if they hauled themselves, but I need to be sure I'm not shorting myself, either.

#6 LMK1975

LMK1975

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:40 AM

I used to charge $1.50 a loaded mile. Someone else charged the same, but also charged a $20.00 hookup fee if it was a one way haul. It was local stuff though. I would probably charge closer to $2 now since gas prices have gone up.

I would think that a big hauler might be a little less expensive for long hauls since they can haul a bunch of horses at one time.

#7 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,315 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:50 AM

The hauler I use is still in the neighborhood of a buck a mile, with a $325 minimum, and your 500 miles would fall in the minimum range. They aren't fancy, but they take the best care of their passengers.

#8 kawhit

kawhit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 04:51 PM

Thanks all. I was looking for an idea of what would be fair for me to pay a local guy that doesn't do this all the time, so wasn't sure what to charge. That ended up falling through, so I did try to go the pro route. That didn't work either because my needs are too specific. I needed to have a horse at an event at a specific time for a specific time. The pros were quoting me in the $500-$700 range for one way for that trip.

I ended up renting a truck that we can haul ourselves. It's a bummer when your own hauling vehicle has issues!

Thanks!

#9 Jaysans

Jaysans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:16 PM

I was asking a friend becuase I am going from Dallas to Detroit & he told me much cheaper than what y'all found out!! I was tolod to charge .30-.40 cents a mile for anyone needing a ride!! WOW! Thats a difference!