9 replies to this topic

#1 Santas_Girl

Santas_Girl

Rider of the Crazy Pony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,040 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:29 AM

What exactly is the difference between the two? Is one just wider than the others? There are a couple saddles I really like that are only available in one of the two options. I've never owned a western saddle before but am planning on purchasing one and was just curious as to what the actual differences were between the 2.

#2 westernpleasurepaint

westernpleasurepaint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:50 AM

Full QH bars are wider than semi. Good luck buying a saddle.

#3 TopHandCowgirl

TopHandCowgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:12 PM

semi qh bars are 6", 6 and 1/2 is full. FQHB saddles are 7" and are for the bulldog QH or often mutten withered horse

#4 firststringfarms

firststringfarms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:12 PM

There is no standard measurement for the industry. What one manufacturer calls Full QH bars another calls QH bars or semi-QH bars.

The bar 'size' is a lot more than just the gullet width. I've seen some call their saddles full qh bars, with 8" gullets, but the angle of the bars was so steep it wouldn't fit anything but a saw horse.

Don't go by what the tree is called. The only thing that I have ever found to be consistent is that the better made saddles will have wider angle bars and the cheaply made saddles will all be narrower.

#5 luvs2ride79

luvs2ride79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:24 AM

I second Debbie. You'll never know it fits until you try it on!

Generally, Semi-QH bars are made for horses with more sloped sides and not so wide backs. A semi-qh tree is supposed to fit horses with a more TB or narrow build.

A QH tree is generally supposed to fit most of today's stock horses; horses with moderately sloped sides and a moderately wide back.

A Full-QH tree is supposed to fit a very wide, bull-dog style QH that has a very flat "table top" back. FQHB often fit draft horses and draft crosses, to give you an idea.

Better saddles tend follow these general statements. Saddle like Circle Y, Tex-tan, Reinsman, and any other saddle that retails in the higher price range.

Stay AWAY from ANY saddle on a fiberglass tree. These trees are cheap and often warped or off balance. At the very lest, it will be uncomfortable for you and/or your horse. At the worst, it will break or cause your horse to buck and bolt.

If you want "cheap" but new, go for a quality Synthetic. I have an Abetta and is has lasted 6 years of hard trail riding, and has done well on more than a few horses. http://www.chicksaddlery.com has the cheapest prices on Abettas, but buyabetta.com has the best selection. Their "standard" QH tree will fit most horses. They also make a Wide tree and a semi-QH tree that is more narrow.

Good luck saddle shopping!!

#6 Santas_Girl

Santas_Girl

Rider of the Crazy Pony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,040 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:29 AM

What exactly is the difference between the two? Is one just wider than the others? There are a couple saddles I really like that are only available in one of the two options. I've never owned a western saddle before but am planning on purchasing one and was just curious as to what the actual differences were between the 2.

#7 westernpleasurepaint

westernpleasurepaint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:50 AM

Full QH bars are wider than semi. Good luck buying a saddle.

#8 TopHandCowgirl

TopHandCowgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:12 PM

semi qh bars are 6", 6 and 1/2 is full. FQHB saddles are 7" and are for the bulldog QH or often mutten withered horse

#9 firststringfarms

firststringfarms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:12 PM

There is no standard measurement for the industry. What one manufacturer calls Full QH bars another calls QH bars or semi-QH bars.

The bar 'size' is a lot more than just the gullet width. I've seen some call their saddles full qh bars, with 8" gullets, but the angle of the bars was so steep it wouldn't fit anything but a saw horse.

Don't go by what the tree is called. The only thing that I have ever found to be consistent is that the better made saddles will have wider angle bars and the cheaply made saddles will all be narrower.

#10 luvs2ride79

luvs2ride79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:24 AM

I second Debbie. You'll never know it fits until you try it on!

Generally, Semi-QH bars are made for horses with more sloped sides and not so wide backs. A semi-qh tree is supposed to fit horses with a more TB or narrow build.

A QH tree is generally supposed to fit most of today's stock horses; horses with moderately sloped sides and a moderately wide back.

A Full-QH tree is supposed to fit a very wide, bull-dog style QH that has a very flat "table top" back. FQHB often fit draft horses and draft crosses, to give you an idea.

Better saddles tend follow these general statements. Saddle like Circle Y, Tex-tan, Reinsman, and any other saddle that retails in the higher price range.

Stay AWAY from ANY saddle on a fiberglass tree. These trees are cheap and often warped or off balance. At the very lest, it will be uncomfortable for you and/or your horse. At the worst, it will break or cause your horse to buck and bolt.

If you want "cheap" but new, go for a quality Synthetic. I have an Abetta and is has lasted 6 years of hard trail riding, and has done well on more than a few horses. http://www.chicksaddlery.com has the cheapest prices on Abettas, but buyabetta.com has the best selection. Their "standard" QH tree will fit most horses. They also make a Wide tree and a semi-QH tree that is more narrow.

Good luck saddle shopping!!