17 replies to this topic

#1 Goldiebabe

Goldiebabe

Daydreaming about horses

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:04 AM

I have recently become very intrigued by team penning and sorting after witnessing it at an AQHA and open event in a nearby city. I am really determined to train my 10 year old AQHA mare for it and compete in it when we are ready.

How can I prepare for it if I don't have calves to work on? I don't think any arenas near me have practice nights. [Frown] Some people at the event I went to told me the best way to learn is to try it at the events. Is this true? I would be more comfortable if my mare had some experience with it before I take her to the event. Maybe it would be best to send her to a penning and sorting trainer for a little while or take lessons?

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated! [Not Worthy]

#2 KK

KK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:47 AM

I'm sure theres somewhere around you out there that has cattle. You've just gotta get out there and start asking. I've also been wanting to do it but most AQHA shows dont offer it down here. The nearest place to practice is 2 hours away.

But I agree it looks like a load of fun!

#3 Goldiebabe

Goldiebabe

Daydreaming about horses

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 05:01 PM

Thanks KK. I will have to keep my eyes
and ears open for any possibilities.

The closest place to me that has AQHA team penning and sorting is 20-40 minutes from me. Can't remember if the place 20 minutes away has AQHA events or if they are through another association. [Confused] The one 40 minutes away has them once a month! [Big Grin]

#4 palomino_overo

palomino_overo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:45 AM

We have a lot of them within an hour of us. Most people just start doing it at little open pennings before they go to AQHA or APHA sanctioned shows. I've only done it once on a friend's cutting bred ranch horse but it was a lot of fun. I didn't really know what I was doing but had a good time and learned a lot. I'd be more prepared now and wouldn't be afraid to try it on one of my own horses. My friend and his wife do it all the time. She's more serious about it and he just goes to have a good time and drink beer.

#5 SpottedTApps

SpottedTApps

Does anyone pay attention to these?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,886 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:15 PM

The biggest part is to be sure your horse is good and BROKE first. Make sure you have a really good stop on her, from all speeds and gaites. Make sure she will move off of your legs latterally. Can she roll back?

Then, I get a neighbor girl. I have her walk back and forth the legnth of the area, using her as a "cow." I teach the horse to follow, stop, back up and turn around with the "cow" and do it again the other direction. All at a walk. After the horse starts to get the idea, I let the neighbor girl choose when she stops and switches directions... sometimes halfway down the arena, 3/4 of the way, or only a couple of strides since the last turn.

When my horse really has this much down, we can move up to a trot. Make sure your horse still listens to you. You don't want to turn too soon. They need to wait for you to ask them to turn.

A neighbor kid, or your best friend who is dieting are good help for this exercise. Worst comes to worst, you can sometimes bribe your hubby to do it.

#6 megan_n_beauty

megan_n_beauty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:50 PM

i take my performance mare sorting alot and she absolutely LOVES IT! its a good break for them and they learn to relax. its funny to see my good hunt seat horse pinning her ears back and trying to eat the cows! its a good break for me too, because its nice to get out of the showing scene for at least a day to relax!

#7 Missouri Horseman

Missouri Horseman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 421 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:11 PM

You're in OK, I'm sure there are arenas that have open sortings somewhere around there. You just really have to look and ask around.

Before I went anywhere, I'd be certain your horse is very light and has a solid stop and spin down well. Neck reining would help, too. It's possible to sort by direct rein, but you'd probably have an easier time by neck reining.

As these are team events, you may want to put some thought into taking friends or meeting people there. I know penners and sorters tend to be pretty friendly, so it shouldn't be much hassle to find a partner or two. I prefer ranch sorting as it only requires one other person. If you're in it to win it (cliche), pick your team well.

#8 DocsDixie

DocsDixie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:12 PM

Team penning and ranch sorting are a blast. I have been team penning now for a couple of years and just started ranch sorting. All the advice giving here is very good advice.

I learned by going to an event with a friend on my, now sold, barrel horse. We did very well. I have since gotten a horse that was ranch worked and basically, all I do is point her and hold on.

If you want to practice. Come to eastern wa. We practice sorting on Wed. and penning on sudays. In fact tomorrow is our last practice before the next show.

Hmm hope we do well is this show as we did in the last.

#9 Quartermutt

Quartermutt

Cat Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:15 PM

Another possibility is to see if there is a penning club in your area. When I'm ready to try sorting myself, instead of helping on foot in the back, there is a penning club in my area and a stable that has several different types of open practices that I can go to.

#10 Goldiebabe

Goldiebabe

Daydreaming about horses

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:04 AM

I have recently become very intrigued by team penning and sorting after witnessing it at an AQHA and open event in a nearby city. I am really determined to train my 10 year old AQHA mare for it and compete in it when we are ready.

How can I prepare for it if I don't have calves to work on? I don't think any arenas near me have practice nights. [Frown] Some people at the event I went to told me the best way to learn is to try it at the events. Is this true? I would be more comfortable if my mare had some experience with it before I take her to the event. Maybe it would be best to send her to a penning and sorting trainer for a little while or take lessons?

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated! [Not Worthy]

#11 KK

KK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:47 AM

I'm sure theres somewhere around you out there that has cattle. You've just gotta get out there and start asking. I've also been wanting to do it but most AQHA shows dont offer it down here. The nearest place to practice is 2 hours away.

But I agree it looks like a load of fun!

#12 Goldiebabe

Goldiebabe

Daydreaming about horses

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 05:01 PM

Thanks KK. I will have to keep my eyes
and ears open for any possibilities.

The closest place to me that has AQHA team penning and sorting is 20-40 minutes from me. Can't remember if the place 20 minutes away has AQHA events or if they are through another association. [Confused] The one 40 minutes away has them once a month! [Big Grin]

#13 palomino_overo

palomino_overo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:45 AM

We have a lot of them within an hour of us. Most people just start doing it at little open pennings before they go to AQHA or APHA sanctioned shows. I've only done it once on a friend's cutting bred ranch horse but it was a lot of fun. I didn't really know what I was doing but had a good time and learned a lot. I'd be more prepared now and wouldn't be afraid to try it on one of my own horses. My friend and his wife do it all the time. She's more serious about it and he just goes to have a good time and drink beer.

#14 SpottedTApps

SpottedTApps

Does anyone pay attention to these?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,886 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:15 PM

The biggest part is to be sure your horse is good and BROKE first. Make sure you have a really good stop on her, from all speeds and gaites. Make sure she will move off of your legs latterally. Can she roll back?

Then, I get a neighbor girl. I have her walk back and forth the legnth of the area, using her as a "cow." I teach the horse to follow, stop, back up and turn around with the "cow" and do it again the other direction. All at a walk. After the horse starts to get the idea, I let the neighbor girl choose when she stops and switches directions... sometimes halfway down the arena, 3/4 of the way, or only a couple of strides since the last turn.

When my horse really has this much down, we can move up to a trot. Make sure your horse still listens to you. You don't want to turn too soon. They need to wait for you to ask them to turn.

A neighbor kid, or your best friend who is dieting are good help for this exercise. Worst comes to worst, you can sometimes bribe your hubby to do it.

#15 megan_n_beauty

megan_n_beauty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:50 PM

i take my performance mare sorting alot and she absolutely LOVES IT! its a good break for them and they learn to relax. its funny to see my good hunt seat horse pinning her ears back and trying to eat the cows! its a good break for me too, because its nice to get out of the showing scene for at least a day to relax!

#16 Missouri Horseman

Missouri Horseman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 421 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:11 PM

You're in OK, I'm sure there are arenas that have open sortings somewhere around there. You just really have to look and ask around.

Before I went anywhere, I'd be certain your horse is very light and has a solid stop and spin down well. Neck reining would help, too. It's possible to sort by direct rein, but you'd probably have an easier time by neck reining.

As these are team events, you may want to put some thought into taking friends or meeting people there. I know penners and sorters tend to be pretty friendly, so it shouldn't be much hassle to find a partner or two. I prefer ranch sorting as it only requires one other person. If you're in it to win it (cliche), pick your team well.

#17 DocsDixie

DocsDixie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:12 PM

Team penning and ranch sorting are a blast. I have been team penning now for a couple of years and just started ranch sorting. All the advice giving here is very good advice.

I learned by going to an event with a friend on my, now sold, barrel horse. We did very well. I have since gotten a horse that was ranch worked and basically, all I do is point her and hold on.

If you want to practice. Come to eastern wa. We practice sorting on Wed. and penning on sudays. In fact tomorrow is our last practice before the next show.

Hmm hope we do well is this show as we did in the last.

#18 Quartermutt

Quartermutt

Cat Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:15 PM

Another possibility is to see if there is a penning club in your area. When I'm ready to try sorting myself, instead of helping on foot in the back, there is a penning club in my area and a stable that has several different types of open practices that I can go to.