Quantcast

Saddle brand questions

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:15 PM

I know I don't post on this board but thought you all might could help me out. [Big Grin]
I'm doing some window saddle shopping for which I hope to be able to purchase in 2-4months a quality, used or new either AP, CC or Dressage saddle. It has been so long that I have ridden english that I cannot remember some of the well made saddle companys out there. Please tell me your opinions on the following and please add others not listed.

Silver Fox
Crosby
Courbette
Henri De Rivel
Thornhill
Collegiate

I want something that is going to last and not be a waste of money. I'm not exactly sure of where I want to go with english riding as of right now, but to start with it will be pleasure until I get my seat back LOL
I prefer leather over synthetic.

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions. [Big Grin]

#2 Remmington

Remmington

• Members
  • Pip
  • 459 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:56 AM

Henri De Rivel - Super Comfy, wonderful. They last very long and hold up well. They oil wonderfully. What is your price range? Depending on what pricey means to you, they can get pretty pricey.

Collegiate - I don't know about other people's ideas of them, but when I used one I hated it. I thought it was way heavy for a saddle and not very comfortable. They do hold up well though, I am surprised to find..except not near mold [Embarrassed]

[ Edit because I can't spell, once again. ]

[ 12-09-2005, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: Remmington ]

#3 BlueRibbonHunter2002

BlueRibbonHunter2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:14 AM

Crosby - VERY pricey, so if you can find a good quality used one, you won't regret it. This is actually my dream saddle. [Big Grin]

Collegiate - I have had one for over 5 years and it's held up GREAT with the constant abuse it's gotten! Very well-balanced, and super duper comfy. Dunno about the newer ones though -- I haven't heard good things about them holding up and stuff.

Courbette - nice dressage saddles. My aunt had one that was really soft and comfy. I loved it.

Henri de Rivel - cheap, so good for a budget. Some people love them (me) and some people hate them. Haven't seen many last that long, though.

#4 Outsider

Outsider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:47 PM

AP saddles are nasty. They put you in a bad position, so it isent something youd want to start in, ever have to ride in...

I would suggest a CC as you can do dressage in a CC, but you cant jump in a dressage saddle.

Plus, dressage saddles run CRAZY expensive.

I have a Crosby, not THAT expensive used, but SUPER NICE. Great Saddles. Get one.

HDR's, not too fond of them but they are better then a decent amount of saddles.Cheap.

Thornhill. My friend rode in one just last night and I was very curious as to how she liked it because it seemed like a yucky saddle to me, she didnt like it at all. But, thats the extent of my knowledge of that brand.

Collegiates. I just bought a new one. Not my type of saddle as I like FLAT with no padding no knee rolls no thing. But, its not bad for a saddle with padding and all. Leather is tough as nails, will deff hold up.

Stubbens. I hate them, some people love them. I find they tend to throw your legs out in front of you and sit you in a chair seat which you will most likely be fighting anyway from comign from a western background. Its a decent saddle that will last a long time, but it will be pricey and probly not help your EQ that much.

Crump. Comfy flat saddles. Last fairly well.

Ashlands. Ohh sooooo nice! Will run EXTREMLY expensive. But if you find one that fits you and your horse and isent going to break the bank snap it up.

pessoa. Yuck. Just say no. The leather is junk and it will be EXTREMLY expensive for cruddy argentenan leather.

Whippy. Nice saddles, flat ones are great. My favorite school owned saddle where I ride.

Generaly just stay away from argentenan leather.
Make sure that the sturrip bars will come down into an unlocked position and that the billets are sound as is the tree.

Good Luck!

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for yall's opinions, I do apperciate them. [Big Grin]

More then likely I'll go with a CC. At some point I may attempt jumping again, so it will be nice not having to have 2 saddles for dressage and jumping.

Outsider- Thanks for bringing up the AP thing. I knew there was a type of saddle my old trainer didn't like but couldn't remember which until you posted that about bad position. Thank you.

I think I'm going to look for a used crosby both online and around here. I may call my old trainer back home and see if she's got any for sale.

Does anyone know about Silver Fox? I see a lot of them on ebay. I can't judge a saddle quality by a picture obviously.

#6 goldentoes

goldentoes

can't stop singing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,374 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:10 PM

general rule of thumb- if a saddle comes brand new, in a "package" for $300 or under, stay away.

[Smile]

generally what you get is icky leather. I've seen one of the silver fox saddles that looked in the picture like the design is OK, but I would still stay away, as I doubt the leather or workmanship is the kind of quality you want. Many saddles that sell in packages like this are stiff, uncomfortable, or poorly put together. I've seen a few where the panels were stuffed unevenly- huge back problem waiting to happen.

Much like my mom says: a cheap item for a cheap price isn't a deal

LOL

I found two reviews of silver fox on horsetackreview.com, neither was very good.

Crosby, collegiate, old style crumps (and new crump designed Zaldi Stars), and such would probably be better bets.

Personally I'm a big fan of crosby- not my dream saddle, but they're solid and balanced, and I can still find them in plain flap. I have a prix de nations coming, and if it fits the pony, I'll be selling an equilibrium. LOL. I'm like my own tack shop...

#7 mojo

mojo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:10 PM

My absolute favoraite saddle of all times was a Courbette Merker. Soft, supple dark brown leather. Everyone drools over my saddle. It is a little hard in the seat so I use a seat saver/cushion for everything but shows and clinics.

-

My second favorite was a prix de saute. Yum. I don't think they are made anymore but the whole 'prix' linei s great.

Saddles on eBay *can* be a great deal but you never know about the condition of the tree. If there is a return policy, you can get some great deals on used (i.e. already broken in!) high quality saddles.

As stated above, a used quality saddle is SO much better than a new cheap one!!!!!

Good luck!

#8 goldentoes

goldentoes

can't stop singing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,374 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mojo:
My second favorite was a prix de saute. Yum. I don't think they are made anymore but the whole 'prix' linei s great.

there's not a "prix" line- the prix de saute was/is made by Crump (and I've seen them available new for a very agreeable price, too!)

Prix de nations is made by Crosby.

[Smile]

#9 mojo

mojo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:23 PM

[Duh] [Duh]

Thanks goldentoes!

It's been a while since I have been saddle shopping - can you tell?

#10 silverleprichuan

silverleprichuan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 11:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Remmington:
Henri De Rivel - Super Comfy, wonderful. They last very long and hold up well. They oil wonderfully. What is your price range? Depending on what pricey means to you, they can get pretty pricey.

Collegiate - I don't know about other people's ideas of them, but when I used one I hated it. I thought it was way heavy for a saddle and not very comfortable. They do hold up well though, I am surprised to find..except not near mold [Embarrassed]

I am the exact opposite.

I truly hated Henri he Rivel's. My sister had two and they both did not fit any horse properly, the dye rubbed off, and it was hard/cheap leather.

I have had my collegiate CC for 5 years now and it is not only very comfortable but it has also fit everything from a 13.2 welsh to a 16.2 appendix. I highly recommend their saddles.

#11 Remmington

Remmington

• Members
  • Pip
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by silverleprichuan:
quote:

I am the exact opposite.

I truly hated Henri he Rivel's. My sister had two and they both did not fit any horse properly, the dye rubbed off, and it was hard/cheap leather.

I have had my collegiate CC for 5 years now and it is not only very comfortable but it has also fit everything from a 13.2 welsh to a 16.2 appendix. I highly recommend their saddles.

Hehe, Well there's a perfect example of contasting opinions on saddles. And it just goes to show that you should test the saddle before you buy, because you might have a completely different feel for the saddle than one of us tells you.

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:15 PM

I know I don't post on this board but thought you all might could help me out. [Big Grin]
I'm doing some window saddle shopping for which I hope to be able to purchase in 2-4months a quality, used or new either AP, CC or Dressage saddle. It has been so long that I have ridden english that I cannot remember some of the well made saddle companys out there. Please tell me your opinions on the following and please add others not listed.

Silver Fox
Crosby
Courbette
Henri De Rivel
Thornhill
Collegiate

I want something that is going to last and not be a waste of money. I'm not exactly sure of where I want to go with english riding as of right now, but to start with it will be pleasure until I get my seat back LOL
I prefer leather over synthetic.

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions. [Big Grin]

#13 Remmington

Remmington

• Members
  • Pip
  • 459 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:56 AM

[ 12-09-2005, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: Remmington ]

#14 BlueRibbonHunter2002

BlueRibbonHunter2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:14 AM

Crosby - VERY pricey, so if you can find a good quality used one, you won't regret it. This is actually my dream saddle. [Big Grin]

Collegiate - I have had one for over 5 years and it's held up GREAT with the constant abuse it's gotten! Very well-balanced, and super duper comfy. Dunno about the newer ones though -- I haven't heard good things about them holding up and stuff.

Courbette - nice dressage saddles. My aunt had one that was really soft and comfy. I loved it.

Henri de Rivel - cheap, so good for a budget. Some people love them (me) and some people hate them. Haven't seen many last that long, though.

#15 Outsider

Outsider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:47 PM

AP saddles are nasty. They put you in a bad position, so it isent something youd want to start in, ever have to ride in...

I would suggest a CC as you can do dressage in a CC, but you cant jump in a dressage saddle.

Plus, dressage saddles run CRAZY expensive.

I have a Crosby, not THAT expensive used, but SUPER NICE. Great Saddles. Get one.

HDR's, not too fond of them but they are better then a decent amount of saddles.Cheap.

Thornhill. My friend rode in one just last night and I was very curious as to how she liked it because it seemed like a yucky saddle to me, she didnt like it at all. But, thats the extent of my knowledge of that brand.

Collegiates. I just bought a new one. Not my type of saddle as I like FLAT with no padding no knee rolls no thing. But, its not bad for a saddle with padding and all. Leather is tough as nails, will deff hold up.

Stubbens. I hate them, some people love them. I find they tend to throw your legs out in front of you and sit you in a chair seat which you will most likely be fighting anyway from comign from a western background. Its a decent saddle that will last a long time, but it will be pricey and probly not help your EQ that much.

Crump. Comfy flat saddles. Last fairly well.

Ashlands. Ohh sooooo nice! Will run EXTREMLY expensive. But if you find one that fits you and your horse and isent going to break the bank snap it up.

pessoa. Yuck. Just say no. The leather is junk and it will be EXTREMLY expensive for cruddy argentenan leather.

Whippy. Nice saddles, flat ones are great. My favorite school owned saddle where I ride.

Generaly just stay away from argentenan leather.
Make sure that the sturrip bars will come down into an unlocked position and that the billets are sound as is the tree.

Good Luck!

#16 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for yall's opinions, I do apperciate them. [Big Grin]

More then likely I'll go with a CC. At some point I may attempt jumping again, so it will be nice not having to have 2 saddles for dressage and jumping.

Outsider- Thanks for bringing up the AP thing. I knew there was a type of saddle my old trainer didn't like but couldn't remember which until you posted that about bad position. Thank you.

I think I'm going to look for a used crosby both online and around here. I may call my old trainer back home and see if she's got any for sale.

Does anyone know about Silver Fox? I see a lot of them on ebay. I can't judge a saddle quality by a picture obviously.

#17 goldentoes

goldentoes

can't stop singing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,374 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:10 PM

general rule of thumb- if a saddle comes brand new, in a "package" for $300 or under, stay away.

[Smile]

generally what you get is icky leather. I've seen one of the silver fox saddles that looked in the picture like the design is OK, but I would still stay away, as I doubt the leather or workmanship is the kind of quality you want. Many saddles that sell in packages like this are stiff, uncomfortable, or poorly put together. I've seen a few where the panels were stuffed unevenly- huge back problem waiting to happen.

Much like my mom says: a cheap item for a cheap price isn't a deal

LOL

I found two reviews of silver fox on horsetackreview.com, neither was very good.

Crosby, collegiate, old style crumps (and new crump designed Zaldi Stars), and such would probably be better bets.

Personally I'm a big fan of crosby- not my dream saddle, but they're solid and balanced, and I can still find them in plain flap. I have a prix de nations coming, and if it fits the pony, I'll be selling an equilibrium. LOL. I'm like my own tack shop...

#18 mojo

mojo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:10 PM

My absolute favoraite saddle of all times was a Courbette Merker. Soft, supple dark brown leather. Everyone drools over my saddle. It is a little hard in the seat so I use a seat saver/cushion for everything but shows and clinics.

-

Saddles on eBay *can* be a great deal but you never know about the condition of the tree. If there is a return policy, you can get some great deals on used (i.e. already broken in!) high quality saddles.

As stated above, a used quality saddle is SO much better than a new cheap one!!!!!

Good luck!

#19 goldentoes

goldentoes

can't stop singing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,374 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mojo:

there's not a "prix" line- the prix de saute was/is made by Crump (and I've seen them available new for a very agreeable price, too!)

Prix de nations is made by Crosby.

[Smile]

#20 mojo

mojo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:23 PM

[Duh] [Duh]

Thanks goldentoes!

It's been a while since I have been saddle shopping - can you tell?

#21 silverleprichuan

silverleprichuan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 11:15 PM

quote:

I am the exact opposite.

#22 Remmington

Remmington

• Members
  • Pip
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by silverleprichuan:
quote:

I am the exact opposite.

Hehe, Well there's a perfect example of contasting opinions on saddles. And it just goes to show that you should test the saddle before you buy, because you might have a completely different feel for the saddle than one of us tells you.